• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 8HR Stability 1700/1700x/1800x Overclocking Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
The 1700/1700x/1800X are all fundamentally the same chip. Potentially the 1800X might end up overclocking 100-200MHz more than the 1700, but as you note there is so few examples being overclocked we can't really draw any solid conclusions yet.

Soldato
The 1700/1700x/1800X are all fundamentally the same chip. Potentially the 1800X might end up overclocking 100-200MHz more than the 1700, but as you note there is so few examples being overclocked we can't really draw any solid conclusions yet.

Yeah suspected as much - thanks for confirming though... be good if AMD Matt or someone can clarify the process for deciding what's an 1800, pretty tempted to give it a go and help with rendering etc (and see if it stops limiting my 1080s as much) but it's a fair chunk of investment in something a bit unclear right now. Wonder how many 1800x have been sold vs 1700...

Caporegime
OP

It's pretty pathetic tbh...

I'm bored of reading " I'm stable @ 3.9ghz at 1.3v with a picture of handbrake or realbench running for ten minutes...:p

I'm getting my data from another forum now...as the comedy gold posts in the cpu section are quite frankly ludicrous....it's like the cpu section as been invaded by a school trip :p

The blind leading the blind...

I got my 1700 to 3.9 stable with 1.3v but i don't really want to push it much higher than that. Got the memory to 2666 stable as well but it won't boot at all if I try 2933. Overall though I'm happy with it and after a few bios updates I'm sure i'll be able to push the memory higher.

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait and see then, if you've been dipping around other forums what seems to be the overall result on overclock then? Generally 3.9ish achievable on the 1700x seems to be the feeling.

Soldato
Can I just ask, why eight and not longer? Is eight *enough* for some level of confidence?

An arbitrary level picked by OP.

I haven't seen any research done as to how many hours suceasfully tests stability.

Also if your system only has a 90% chance of passing a 1 hour test (i.e. some would say unstable) it has a 43% chance of passing a 8 hour test.

Even a very unstable system has a small chance of passing an 8 hour test.

Caporegime
OP
An arbitrary level picked by OP.

I haven't seen any research done as to how many hours suceasfully tests stability.

Xtreme system forums usually run 48 hour tests...but they know what they are doing...:p

I chose 8 as it should be easy enough and allow results of what vcore is needed to pass...

Shame the results are so thin on the ground :p

Soldato
Xtreme system forums usually run 48 hour tests...but they know what they are doing...:p

I chose 8 as it should be easy enough and allow results of what vcore is needed to pass...

Shame the results are so thin on the ground :p

Many high clockers ignore Prime95 due to unrealistic AVX loads.

Don
To pass a sustained SmallFFT run is likely to require a Vcore and subsequent heat output that is beyond what most other CPU stress tests generate so it's a good starter for absolute stability, throw in LargeFFT for testing the IMC/RAM as well and it's a pretty solid base for stability testing. 8 hours is about a full test cycle of Blend (which is a mix of small and large FFT tests).

Caporegime
OP
To pass a sustained SmallFFT run is likely to require a Vcore and subsequent heat output that is beyond what most other CPU stress tests generate so it's a good starter for absolute stability, throw in LargeFFT for testing the IMC/RAM as well and it's a pretty solid base for stability testing. 8 hours is about a full test cycle of Blend (which is a mix of small and large FFT tests).

Where is my like button ;)

Soldato

Kinda what I was getting at, You may as well run the blended for whatever length of time.

Also, 8 does seem a lot. 2 or so?. I'd either have to leave it on while at work(Not happening) or in evening at home thus not been able to us it.

Caporegime
OP
Kinda what I was getting at, You may as well run the blended for whatever length of time.

Also, 8 does seem a lot. 2 or so?. I'd either have to leave it on while at work(Not happening) or in evening at home thus not been able to us it.

I run overnight...I have also run prime and posted on ocuk and surfed the net at the same time.

Stop looking for excuses...If you dont want to post then fine...refrain from posting in this thread...:)

Soldato
You really need need to run it a minimum of 8 hours, as this is about how long it takes to run a full cycle of tests, at least on Blend if I remember correctly.

People don't use blend for stability tests. Even the OP stipulates small fft. Small fft is far better at finding instability quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom