• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 8HR Stability 1700/1700x/1800x Overclocking Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well yeah it's running about 4hours of them, but it's also running Large as well to stress other areas of the CPU.

I actually think its running a lot less than 4 hours from when I've run it in the past. There are more non-small sizes than small (if that makes sense).

edit: im running small fft right now, i'll list all tge sizes it uses later.

edit2: it might even differ according to size of L1/L2 cache.

Last edited:
Soldato
People don't use blend for stability tests. Even the OP stipulates small fft. Small fft is far better at finding instability quickly.

I run small for a couple of hours, just to get initial stability, and then run custom, which is the same as blend, however, blend doesn't use enough memory, in custom, you can run the same tests blend does, but specify the amount of memory to use.

Run overnight, 12 to 15 hours, you don't need to run anything else.

Caporegime
OP
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95#Use_for_stress_testing

In the overclocking community, a rule of thumb is often used to determine how long to run Prime95: test the CPU (8 kB FFT) for 10 hours and the memory (4096 kB FFT) for 10 hours, and if the system passes, there is a high chance that it is stable. Twenty-four hours of testing is recommended to be sure, as errors may show up after 16 or more hours of testing (compared to, say, just four hours of testing).[7] Moreover, a large proportion of system overclockers and enthusiasts favor Prime95 over other benchmarking suites because Prime95 pushes the CPU's floating point units extremely hard, causing the CPU to become extremely hot. In addition, Prime95 stresses a computer far more than the majority of software-based torture suites. The nature of this is because the operating system usually shuts down the floating-point unit when unused by other programs, whereas Prime95 is well-optimized to continuously and effectively thread the FPU, causing it to be deeply pipelined, thereby generating significantly more heat because of elevated power consumption under the massive workload conditions. In CPUs which are not adequately cooled, errors are likely to occur. Prime95 also constantly accesses main memory at up to 60 MB per second. This constant activity will detect memory problems that other programs will not.

All this discussion on prime is avoiding the point..either run the tests or don't but please can we stop arguing about the nature of the test...if you don't want to run it..then please don't post and derail this thread any further...

I run small FFT for 12 hours then I run blend...been doing it for years.

Soldato
*snip

Stop looking for excuses...If you dont want to post then fine...refrain from posting in this thread...:)

Lol, sorry , Didnt know it was your forum. Was under the impression it's a discussion forum. Guess am wrong.

I was just pointing the mem thing out!

I dont need to run it as I've run my system for several years.

So get off ya high horse!!!

You really need need to run it a minimum of 8 hours, as this is about how long it takes to run a full cycle of tests, at least on Blend if I remember correctly.

^^^^

See, Now I know why 8hrs. Noticed how there's no snide comment in the response, Just stating a reason!

Don
It's also worth noting that these days you're checking for WHEA errors in the Windows error log for true stability.

Also worth noting that back when that article was written it probably took 24+ hours to do a full test cycle in Prime.

Associate
How can this be official when even the op can't provide a plausible explanation behind the methodology on the testing. Seems like it just a way to diminish other peoples overclocks, which may be suitable for their needs. Having a thread with these rules set out is perfecvtly fine but in no way should it be considered official. Especially when it appears that the op has no experience in working with the hardware, and is therefore in no position to discredit other peoples efforts.

OP is trolling at this point.

Soldato
OK.... this thread has gone of on a tangent now. I don't think OP has done anything wrong. He has set out the criteria for posting your 8 hours stability settings using a Ryzen cpu. It's very simple.

I would ask a mod to delete everything they think is not useful in this thread up to my initial post (including) which is post 26.

Post your overclock results only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom