Poll: *** The official AirTag thread (it comes in packs of four and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy AirTags?

• Yes, I'll get one

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Yes, I'll get a pack of four

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 34.9%

• Total voters
Commissario
XDL4hug.jpeg

I'm not sure what there is to discuss about the AirTag really but we do these threads for all the Apple products so it seems rude to forget about the AirTag seeing as it's been rumoured for what seems like years!

Are you going to buy AirTags? Will you get a single one or a pack of four?

At the moment there are only a few accessories but I'm sure that in time there will be lots of holders for them. It'll be nice to see what people get.

Commissario
OP
I've just been looking at a review of these and I've decided that my initial feelings were right. I don't need them. I've never lost my keys, I've never lost my wallet. When I come home, my keys go in the same place, my wallet goes in the same place. This would just be buying kit for the sake of it.

The only keys I could think I'd want to attach one to is for my safe where the keys are put away but I don't go in there very often now and if I lost the keys, the battery would probably be flat anyway.

Changed my vote to 'no'.

Commissario
OP
What stops someone stealing someone's lost Air Tag and reprogramming it to use for themselves? Surely it has to be possible due to the second-hand market and need to wipe them?
AirTags get added to your Apple account. They’re like iPhones, if someone steals one, they’re locked to the account they were set up on.

If a tag gets pinched, it’s utterly useless.

Commissario
OP
Mine are here, the cheap plastic Belkin case works better on my keys than the nice Apple leather one due to the angle the ring is. If it was 90° offset then it’d be better so I’m giving that holder to my wife.

Commissario
OP
My wife works in a relatively busy high street shop and she's wearing the AirTag from my keys today so I can see how well it works. She doesn't carry her phone on the shop floor so it'll be reliant on anyone else nearby. I've put it into lost mode and am getting regular pings from it so it must be being picked up by customers.

Commissario
OP
Just for the lols, I've dropped one in an envelope addressed to myself and my wife is posting it from a nearby town. It'll be interesting to see how well it's tracked as it goes through the postal service if it's near to anyone's phones for them to report the position.

Commissario
OP
That’s pretty cool but sadly not. Mine was dropped in a post box in Colchester hospital and now it’s at the Colchester delivery office. I don’t know whether they sort there or whether it’ll go to Chelmsford next.

Commissario
OP
AirTags work really well with iOS 15. I have one in the centre console in my car and I just had to pop out to the shops. As I walked away from the car, my phone alerted me to the fact that I’d left it behind.

Back
Top Bottom