• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Caporegime
280mm arctic freezer ii with the stock MX4 paste. Cinebench runs are around the same as @mrk now I've lowered the voltage. Using auto voltage I would see 90+c on some cores.

Idle temps are really low, like 15-20c atm. I'm still tempted to reseat mine to check if the ILM is applying too much pressure as it's a known issue across pretty much all boards.

Associate
100% load in what app? Exporting a video with all 20 threads at 100% gives me a CPU temp of no more than 45-50 degrees for example, whilst exporting a batch of photos in Lightroom the temp rises to around 60 degrees or so. All down to the instructionset being used I guess. Cinebench MT run also yields no more than 75 degrees for the CPU. 280mm AIO here with Kryonaut paste.

Sorry, should have said cinebench, but going by your temps I definitely have a seating issues as mine are at least 10c more then yours on MX5 with the arctic freezer ii 360mm in a enthroo pro m.

I'll take everything off tonight and reseat the lot and see how that goes.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Keep in mind it could have a bearing on the paste as well. From my reading around before building this and choosing paste it was mentioned around the web from many people that temps are lowered by at least 5 degrees in some instances and around 8 in others using kryonaut/hdronaut.

So that may well have a bearing as well as what method you use to apply the paste, blob in middle, spread on the HS and how thick etc it is. My method was a thin layer spread. Also my AIO fans are configured to pull air through the radiator fins with the rad attached to the front of the case so it's pulling in cold air directly from the front so is more efficiently cooled at the same time.

Caporegime
Done a little more tweaking this afternoon, the Trfc on my RAM was set to like 990 on auto. I've lowered it to 522 for now, think my memory is Micron B-Die so don't want to go too low as I've heard to can corrupt Windows.

I can't find anything concrete on timings with Alderlake. Can I still the use the timings calculator on Github?

Soldato
Sorry, should have said cinebench, but going by your temps I definitely have a seating issues as mine are at least 10c more then yours on MX5 with the arctic freezer ii 360mm in a enthroo pro m.

I'll take everything off tonight and reseat the lot and see how that goes.
Im pretty convinced that whoever is getting anything above 80C on stock on 360 and 280 AIOs have a contact issue. The 12900k is the coolest CPU i've ever had, and that's including a delided 8700k.

I'm running a u12a ~70c running cbr20 and the likes, it might go up to 75-77 after 30 minutes of cbr23. Now im running 5.3 all cores / 5.6 single core, the u12a handles it just fine.

Caporegime
Im pretty convinced that whoever is getting anything above 80C on stock on 360 and 280 AIOs have a contact issue. The 12900k is the coolest CPU i've ever had, and that's including a delided 8700k.

I'm running a u12a ~70c running cbr20 and the likes, it might go up to 75-77 after 30 minutes of cbr23. Now im running 5.3 all cores / 5.6 single core, the u12a handles it just fine.

What's your max vcore with that OC? Sounds like a potential golden sample...

Soldato
What's your max vcore with that OC? Sounds like a potential golden sample...
Nah, pretty average, 93 SP on P cores.

I'm using low LLC + high adaptive voltage with OCTVB used to downclock at certain temperatures (85 and 90). Obviously I can't run cbr23 at 5.3 ghz on a u12a (unless I remove the OCTVB limits, but then im hitting 95+C). At 5.2 ghz it require 1.234 to 1.25 volts depending on the workload (remember, low LLC means huge vdroops). For the ST it requires around 1.49-1.51 volts. Can do 5.7 but that needs 1.58 volts and yeah, the core that boosts that high is getting toasty, 80-85c when running cbr.

Caporegime
I've just tested my latency as I hadn't yet and it came in at 58.0 ns. Quite surprised as my kit isn't Samsung B-die and I've only changed a couple of timings so far.

Corsair Vengeance RGB RT Gunmetal, 3600mhz 16-20-20-38-1T, gear 1. The only sub timing I've changed is Trfc as it defaulted to 990, brought it down to 580.

Caporegime
Does trfc on its own make much difference?

I would have to test it at default to see the measurable difference. My system does feel incredibly snappy, but it did so anyway before making the change.

Samsung b-die can go really low on that timing, so it would be interesting to see someone test theirs at a low value if it defaulted high. Micron struggles to go below 500 and the timing doesn't scale with increased voltage either.

Anyone with a Samsung b-die kit should be able to get sub 55 ns with ease.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've set my voltage to offset and 0.06500 but for some reason my voltage hovers at about 1.33v unless it's under full load then it drops to about 1.23v. What am i doing wrong that would cause this?

Is it because of the Intel auto voltage controller on the chip?

Last edited:
Associate
IMG_0634.webp

NOT MY PIC!

But it's good to see IC and boards continuing to improve on ADL. From what I've been told the IMC itself should be good for 8000+ with Gear 2 but we need the memory and board tuning to mature a bit.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
DDR5 seems to be making solid progress, that said you really need a 2 DIMM board to get good OC on it as the 4 DIMMs are just weak AF

RSR

RSR

Soldato
From what I've been told the IMC itself should be good for 8000+ with Gear 2 but we need the memory and board tuning to mature a bit.

Odd, as I know someone who had to bin a number of CPUs to get pass 7000+ but as you say it could be all down to the board tuning and maturing on DDR5.

Back
Top Bottom