******** The Official amateur radio thread ********

The two Motorola GP300 radios that I bought for parts / not working actually work. I cleaned up the corroded terminal tabs on both handsets. Batteries are shot which is to be expected on radios this old. I tested both handsets, one has a sticky transmit and the other is perfect both are around 425 MHz... I look forward to working on these properly and getting them programmed up on HAM bands.

The old antennas are worn and rubber coming off but I'll be able to rebuild these antennas into better ones. I removed the belt clips from the old batteries, its always good hanging onto these. I would also like to salvage the radio rentals stickers that are on the batteries before I discard the old batteries.

There is nothing like getting an old Motorola radio or any PMR radio and getting it all cleaned & fixed up, programmed and working. I particularly like the old Tait T2000 series radios. Those can be fun to work on as well as Motorola's. Its all very well buying a cheap baofeng or whatever but having fun repairing old equipment is enjoyable, something that is slowly disappearing from the amateur radio hobby.

As the batteries are totally dead I was thinking about breaking them open and taking out the dead cells then soldering some wires to them and making a backpack Motorola battery pack but I will need a circuit to build to drop 12 volts DC down to 7.5 Volts DC...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom