• HomePod mini - Yes

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • HomePod mini - No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HomePod mini - Possibly, I'll wait and see what the reviews are like first

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Hmm. I've long had an issue with the Sonos connect playing to my hifi amp and speakers where the sound isn't brilliant, or as brilliant as I suspect it should be. I have long suspected it's the DAC in the Sonos Connect not being up to the task of my equipment (Roksan K3 amp and MA Gold 300 speakers). I'm wondering if I could use Airplay 2, either to my Pioneer SC 2024 AV amp and use it as a pre amp and DAC if it supports Airplay 2, or get a specific DAC which does support Airplay 2. I'm assuming either would be better than the DAC in the Sonos Connect.

If I can do that, plus play in Sync with some HomePods, then I'm tempted to replace the Play 5 in the Kitchen with a pair of HomePods as they have a smaller footprint and would suit my kitchen better.

Soldato
No idea what all that means....lol but I’m now using a pair of homepods as my main music source and could not be happier with the sound. I don’t listen to modern rap crap or boomy junk music though although the bass from the homepods is fantastic considering the size.

Man of Honour
Haha. I basically use a little Sonos box in my living room which acts like a speaker in the Sonos app. It allows me to play music in sync to my hifi speakers as well as my other Sonos gear. I've never really been happy with the sound from the floorstanders though and I suspect the issue has been Sonos box. I might stick a thread up on AV forums to be honest.

Soldato
No idea what all that means....lol but I’m now using a pair of homepods as my main music source and could not be happier with the sound. I don’t listen to modern rap crap or boomy junk music though although the bass from the homepods is fantastic considering the size.

I noticed the bass is really good compared to a Sonos Play 1, looks like I timed my purchase of a HomePod well, bought one on Saturday.

Does this iOS update mean I can link my Sonos Play1s to the HomePod or do the sonos speakers need an update as well?

Man of Honour
Does this iOS update mean I can link my Sonos Play1s to the HomePod or do the sonos speakers need an update as well?

The way that I understand it, is that with AP2 you can play synchronised content to any AP2 compatible device, including the HomePod. I know some Sonos equipment is AP2 compatible, I would imagine that the Play 1's would be.

Soldato
Haha. I basically use a little Sonos box in my living room which acts like a speaker in the Sonos app. It allows me to play music in sync to my hifi speakers as well as my other Sonos gear. I've never really been happy with the sound from the floorstanders though and I suspect the issue has been Sonos box. I might stick a thread up on AV forums to be honest.

I bought Sonos a while back had the Playbar, sub and two 1’s but I was not happy with the sound and returned it. I now have a Yamaha 2700 soundbar and the 2 Homepods for Music.

Man of Honour
I bought Sonos a while back had the Playbar, sub and two 1’s but I was not happy with the sound and returned it. I now have a Yamaha 2700 soundbar and the 2 Homepods for Music.
The Playbar is in the bedroom, it's only really used for TV and films etc, it's more than good enough. I'm more than happy with the Play 5 in the kitchen plus my pair of Play 1's on Flexson stands for outside music in the summer.

My gripe is as mentioned above, I believe the DAC in the Sonos Connect to be poor. Also, the Play 5, while superb, is quite cumbersome and you have to crank it up to make it sing, whereas the reviews of the HomePod suggest it sounds better at lower volumes (but not as good higher up). I think two HomePods in a stereo pair would look and sound better 90% of the time, plus I can put them in corners and gain my window sill back (where the 5 is).

I would however really like to know if I can play music to a HomePod (or pair) as well as Sonos Play1's (non echo type) and have it all in sync.

Man of Honour
Bugger it, going to order one for delivery tomorrow on my day off and see if I like it. I can always return if need be. Plus I can get them for £300 so it makes it slightly easier to stomach.

Man of Honour
Just received it. As expected, nice weight, nice packaging and a quality feeling product. Set up was easy and I was playing music on it within a minute or so. First impressions are that it doesn't sound a patch on my Play 5 and I'm not really sure if it sounds better than a Play 1. At high volumes it seems to struggle and it seems more comfortable being played at low volumes.

It's got the update to do, after that I'm going to put it against a Play 1, pair of Play 1's and my Play 5, playing various types of music.

So far it's going back.

Soldato
Mine sounds a lot better than a play 1 no idea about play 5 never had one. Mine plays max volume without struggling but I rarely listen to music that loud. I prefer sound quality over quantity and this for me is where the HomePod works best.

I also only use mine with Apple Music too if that makes a difference.

Soldato
I am really tempted to buy a couple of these at the moment, anyone swapped from SONOS? which do you rate more?

It’s worth having a listen somewhere if you can as opinions are divided. I had a pair of Play 1’s for a while and tbh I thought they sounded dreadful and to me even a single HomePod sounds better. But everyone’s tastes are different.

I have two HomePods as a stereo pair and I think they sound stunning even my wife said how good the pair sounds over one. They really compliment each other well and the sound separation is impressive.

Back
Top Bottom