Poll: *** The official Apple Watch Series 9 (and Ultra 2) thread (it has double tap and everything!) ***

Are you getting an Apple Watch series 9 and or Ultra 2?

• Total voters
Associate
Finally took the plunge on an Ultra 2. Do I need to get any screen protectors or is the sapphire glass up to snuff ? I got a Series 4 Stainless and the glass has held up and I can’t see any damage at all. Any recommended bands as well ?

Associate
I got an Ultra 2 a few days ago - my first experience with an Apple Watch (and just a year into the Apple ecosystem as it happens with the 14 Pro). I got it to replace an Honor Watch GS-Pro that I’ve used and loved since launch. Aside from the dramatic difference in battery life which I was expecting (the Honor could easily last a couple of weeks), a couple of differences surprised me:

No WhatsApp calls or even missed call notifications! I couldn’t believe this one. Apparently an app is required, and there’s none in sight, even though we’re on the 9th gen. My bad for not thinking to check; I guess I figured as the integration between WhatsApp and iOS was so good, with WhatsApp calls appearing in the call log like regular ones, I didn’t think for a minute they wouldn’t mirror to the watch. The problem is that a lot of people I know do call me on WhatsApp, and I always have my phone on silent... because smart watch.

The other thing that surprised me is the low frequency of heart rate measurements. The Honor gave me a pretty much realtime read out of my heart rate on the main face, 24/7, whereas the Ultra takes a reading every couple of minutes, and I need to use the app and wait a while to see the current rate. Not a massive issue I guess, but I think I imagined with such short battery life that it was always using its sensors. I could reduce the frequency of measurements on the Honor to get even more battery life if I wanted. On this, low power mode turns the readings off.

Last edited:
Associate
Had covid the past few days so haven't been doing any workouts, still crazy how good the battery is on the Ultra 2.

Kg5jaVo.png
What's your secret? My last charge got me two days with no workouts during that period. That's with barely any interactions with the watch, aside from looking at notifications (not even dismissing them!)

Last edited:
Associate
I got my Ultra 2 this morning, using the Sport Band at the moment that I have been using with my Series 4. Seems alright from the size perspective and it is not too bad so far on my wrist. I think I did make the wrong choice of band as the bought it with the White Ocean band. I'll prolly get a trial loop at some point or a fresh sports band. I have got a Spigen Thin fit case on it at the moment , seems to cover but without adding too bulk.

6qnTIyB.jpg

Soldato
No WhatsApp calls or even missed call notifications! I couldn’t believe this one. Apparently an app is required, and there’s none in sight, even though we’re on the 9th gen. My bad for not thinking to check; I guess I figured as the integration between WhatsApp and iOS was so good, with WhatsApp calls appearing in the call log like regular ones, I didn’t think for a minute they wouldn’t mirror to the watch. The problem is that a lot of people I know do call me on WhatsApp, and I always have my phone on silent... because smart watch.

Don't know where you are, but that sounds like a you issue - I 100% get WhatsApp notifications on my watch, as I quite often respond via the watch and I'm still on a series 4. Also never had to download any actual app for the watch.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't know where you are, but that sounds like a you issue - I 100% get WhatsApp notifications on my watch, as I quite often respond via the watch and I'm still on a series 4. Also never had to download any actual app for the watch.
I get message notifications and can reply to them (although images are blurred), it's calls and call notifications I don't get. Do you get those too?

Soldato
OP
Just a heads up that I managed to change my EE watch plan to £5 for 12 months. I was paying £8.74 previously for monthly, it had gone up due to previous CPI increases every March.

Associate
What's your secret? My last charge got me two days with no workouts during that period. That's with barely any interactions with the watch, aside from looking at notifications (not even dismissing them!)
On this, I got three days before needing to charge last night after uninstalling some apps I didn't need and turning off auto workout detection. And sleep tracking only used 2% battery somehow last night, so maybe I'm on track for better this time.

Back
Top Bottom