*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Caporegime
Question, where do people purchase their eye pieces from?

I only have a 19mm plossl, a 2x Barlow andforsome reason a 5x Barlow.

I believe my scope can take a 50mm eyepiece, although I probably wouldn't want to do that right now...probably after a couple.

Soldato
Just an anecdotal observation here. Nothing really important. :p

Just to say I was stunned how bright Venus was this morning. I had left the curtains slightly ajar and She basically woke me up and I was able to make shadow pictures on the bedroom wall with the light.

Soldato

Just to say I was stunned how bright Venus was this morning. I had left the curtains slightly ajar and She basically woke me up and I was able to make shadow pictures on the bedroom wall with the light.
Coincidence...

I noticed it about 7:15 this morning when walking the dog. Next to a nice small cresent of moon ;)

Soldato
Coincidence...

I noticed it about 7:15 this morning when walking the dog. Next to a nice small cresent of moon ;)

No, I was very careful to distinguish between the Moon and Venus

I could make two shadows, one with the moonlight and the other with Venus. The curtains were only far enough apart to see one at a time.

And it was Venus that I saw first. (And which woke me)

Soldato
No, I was very careful to distinguish between the Moon and Venus

I could make two shadows, one with the moonlight and the other with Venus. The curtains were only far enough apart to see one at a time.

And it was Venus that I saw first. (And which woke me)

With a moon nearby, I'd be surprised if Venus was casting a shadow...?

Man of Honour

Top5s have some great insightful stuff and this was one of those videos. Didn't realise Voyager 1 would take so long to reach the closest edge of the Oort cloud, even though it's travelling 1 million miles a day :eek: It will take 300 years to reach that area, and 30,000 years to reach the outer edge of the cloud!

Caporegime

Top5s have some great insightful stuff and this was one of those videos. Didn't realise Voyager 1 would take so long to reach the closest edge of the Oort cloud, even though it's travelling 1 million miles a day :eek: It will take 300 years to reach that area, and 30,000 years to reach the outer edge of the cloud!

I love his videos, it's the only channel like that that I can listen to without wanting to hurt the narrator

Soldato
Question, where do people purchase their eye pieces from?

I only have a 19mm plossl, a 2x Barlow andforsome reason a 5x Barlow.

I believe my scope can take a 50mm eyepiece, although I probably wouldn't want to do that right now...probably after a couple.

There’s a couple a places such as first light optics and also there’s a high level place that sells the highend optics in London too.

Caporegime

Really puts things into perspective.
The universe still has so much to offer. We just can' g anywhere quick enough

Soldato

We're in the middle of the Atlantic right now and the mornings are crisp and cleat at 06:00. Venus looks stunning next to the moon. I've been asking some of the guys what they think the bright light is next to the moon, and they are all saying "the north star". I'm like, you do realise you're looking south. :p

Everyone is fascinated to know that it's a planet.

Soldato
We're in the middle of the Atlantic right now and the mornings are crisp and cleat at 06:00. Venus looks stunning next to the moon. I've been asking some of the guys what they think the bright light is next to the moon, and they are all saying "the north star". I'm like, you do realise you're looking south. :p

Indeed, I've been admiring it on my way to work this week

Associate

Furthermore, if you view it with the aid of a good pair of binoculars or a telescope then you will impress then by showing that it has phases (like the Moon).

Soldato
Was in the lake district the past week, had a chance to try my luck at capturing the stars on Wednesday night for the first time which went OK.

Interested if anyone know's what star is in the top left of the picture?
Bright orange with a what looks like an orange ring, but isn't.

21dg5s0.jpg

Soldato
Was in the lake district the past week, had a chance to try my luck at capturing the stars on Wednesday night for the first time which went OK.

Interested if anyone know's what star is in the top left of the picture?
Bright orange with a what looks like an orange ring, but isn't

Its the Andromeda Galaxy

Soldato
**Warning: statement of bleedin' obvious alert**

Ok, with that disclaimer out of the way, I've just listened to a recent Radio4 'More or Less' podcast where they investigated someone's contention that Mars was the nearest planet. Turns out it's Mercury most of the time, which is obvious once you think about it, but in my 55 years it's not something I'd ever really thought about before.

Anyway, closest planets, statistically, are Mercury, Venus, then Mars. This has been a public service announcement for the mentally feeble, like me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06yhfbq

Soldato
Its not obvious at all its only because it goes round the sun in just 88 days so more often than not its round our side to speak while Mars etc are on the opposite side of the sun.

Speaking of which did anyone else catch the amazing views of Mars over the summer? The long dry spell and clear skies meant it was very visible for weeks on end and easily the best view I've ever seen of it, driving home late at night, there it was right up in the sky in front of me night after night.

Back
Top Bottom