*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Some very strange findings by JWST that science is going to find difficult to explain. Fully formed galaxies and black holes found far closer to the big bang are going to need a rethink on how the universe was created.

Closest image ever taken of Jupiter. Almost looks alive.

kWj8rfR.jpg

Don’t happen to have a link for that - my Google fu is letting me down terribly!!

Probably this story - Brown Dwarfs are objects that almost made it to becoming stars but lacked enough mass so don't fuse hydrogen, but they CAN fuse deuterium under specific circumstances to produce some energy.

Got dead excited tonight when my Apple Watch pinged to say the ISS was going overhead. Legged it outside and couldn’t see a jot apart from the moon, Jupiter and Orion. The ISS must have been quite dim or my eyes were blinded by the moon.

Last edited:
Got dead excited tonight when my Apple Watch pinged to say the ISS was going overhead. Legged it outside and couldn’t see a jot apart from the moon, Jupiter and Orion. The ISS must have been quite dim or my eyes were blinded by the moon.
How did your watch tell you? Mine didn't the useless *******. :D

I've seen ISS before and it's usually pretty easy to see unless low to the horizon.

Dark matter and dark energy intrigue me. Afaik there's literally nothing known about them, other than they must exist. The fact that a large majority of what makes up everything we just have no clue about....I hope it's a form of heaven (and hell). It's probably some sort of stuff we haven't yet discovered. Afaik the ancient greeks had an idea about atoms long before they were discovered.

I hope it's a form of heaven (and hell)

What on earth does this mean...?

Afaik the ancient greeks had an idea about atoms long before they were discovered.

Yes, in that they knew you couldn't continually cut things in half forever, so there must be a smallest possible "thing". It's where the word atom comes from - atomos, or "uncuttable". This was purely philosophical, and now we know there's a LOT more further down than the atom.

What on earth does this mean...?

Yes, in that they knew you couldn't continually cut things in half forever, so there must be a smallest possible "thing". It's where the word atom comes from - atomos, or "uncuttable". This was purely philosophical, and now we know there's a LOT more further down than the atom.

It means I hope there's a heaven and if there is there will be a hell if people of various faiths are correct. Dark matter and energy are definitely something, no-one can say it isn't a heaven/hell, I'd like it if people who were good and/or bad in life were ultimately rewarded or punished. It'll probably turn out to be some exotic matter and undiscovered energy force though. Yeh I know atoms aren't the smallest particles, iirc maybe quarks were but it's been a few years since I've read up on such things so maybe there's smaller now.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a beginner's telescope? Something half-decent that is easy to use. Budget say £300ish
That will get 6" Dobson.

It would be good start for deep sky (outside solar system) objects, if you have dark sky, and especially for observing by far the most rewarding celestial obejfct, our Moon.
Though single speed focuser is challenge for higher magnifications.

Back
Top Bottom