*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
Jupiter - too bright for my scope and camera! (RGB image)
colour_jupiter.png

Just the red channel from the Friday night.. one 10 minute, raw exposure:
m42.png

I took these of M42, A-D stars with a hint of E & F and they're quite low res due to low quality polar alignment:

crop.png

I created my own image resolution enhancement process, although not pretty the resulting output was enough to split E and F stars from the usual A-D stars:

cropped-wide-png.png

A closer view of the trapezium showing E and F stars..
cropped-png.png

Although I managed to destroy the USB socket on my 383 on saturday so it's going to have to go back for repair ;(

Last edited:
Associate
Was amazed yesterday. Looked out the front door to see if my neighbours had moved there car from the front of my house and noticed a really bright star. I knew it was not Jupiter as thats directly above at that time. Had a little look at my app and was amazed that it was Venus. It was -3.9 and it was still half dark so had to get my small scope out as my 200p is out of action for the moment. Only looked like a really bright star but was not expecting much on a travel scope. Try check it out if you can, it was about 4pm. Takes my planet count to 4 now

Permabanned
Nice to see a thread on this. Astronomy and the Universe is one of the few things that I can sit and read and look upon for hours. Currently saving up for a good telescope and hoping to do some astrophotography in the future.

Associate
If you want to do astrophotography make sure you get a good scope from the get go with goto. Otherwise you will end up looking for a newer scope soon after like i did.

Soldato
i dabble myself in Astrophotography ...

M42 - Orion Nebula

stacked6.jpg

NGC6357 in Scorpio, cant really be seen from the UK ... known as the Lobster nebula ..

ngc6357mix4.jpg

M8 The Lagoon Nebula in Sagittarius, again, not really seen in the UK

lagstack.jpg

The Helix Nebula, in Aquarius
helix3.jpg

M83 in Hydra, a Galaxy at about 83,000,000 light years
m835.jpg

me!!

DSCF1431.jpg

Associate
Here was my attempt at the Rosette nebula a few nights ago:

6696043425_6094d963e3_b.jpg

and before packing up my gear for the night I thought I would take a quick shot of the moon at the same magnification to show how big this thing would be in the sky if our eyes were sensitive enough to see it:

6696042079_a3f990e096_b.jpg

Needs more exposures but it's a start.

Soldato
OP
How much money are you looking at spending at getting a good scope? Wouldn't mind doing something like this.

Depends what you want to do with it. Just observing? You can get some really great dobs for £200-300. There's some deals to be had for less than that too. Where it gets really expensive is when you start talking about astrophotography, which would be hard to do anyway until you've learned the sky.

Soldato
Depends what you want to do with it. Just observing? You can get some really great dobs for £200-300. There's some deals to be had for less than that too. Where it gets really expensive is when you start talking about astrophotography, which would be hard to do anyway until you've learned the sky.

Cool thanks mate, that's a good price range. Are there any good recommendations for that price range? Must admit really impressed with some of the photos but like you said you have to learn first.

Soldato
OP
Well the most popular suggestion for beginners is without a doubt this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

But depending on your expectations the 150P might be just as good. Just to throw more options your way, i think you can get the 150P for £10 than the 200P with an EQ3-2 mount, which would come in useful if you did get into AP. Or £200 on a dobsonian (which is a lot easier to use).

Associate
The 200p is fantastic and for a beginner a dob will be a your best bet. But you wont be able to do astophotography on it as it will need a motor and goto for it. You can get goto on a dob but not many people go that route. My first scope was a 130p manual which was a great scope but i really wanted to do photography. I then spent a small fortune on a 200p which i love. Then i sold the 130p and got a star travel so i could take it on holiday.

One thing i do stress tho is the telescope is is not the last purchase you will make. Lenses are the thing i did not really research on before i got my first scope and now i think my lenses cost as much as my scope.

Back
Top Bottom