*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
Thank you very much for the feedback and advice, it's appreciated.

So with the EQ3-2 and the 200P I could at a later date get in to AP with this set up? Obviously I know I'll need to buy more stuff but this would be a good foundation?

Last edited:
Soldato
i have the 200p myself best allround scope you can have.

Jupiter looks outstanding, amongst others i would recomend this scope.

I agree, I have it myself(Dob). However, I am thinking of downgrading as I don't have a car so have to rely on friends to find a decent site, otherwise I'm confined to my garden(with a block of flats right next door).

I might get something a bit smaller and more portable.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
I agree, I have it myself(Dob). However, I am thinking of downgrading as I don't have a car so have to rely on friends to find a decent site, otherwise I'm confined to my garden(with a block of flats right next door).

I might get something a bit smaller and more portable.

I have a 200P Dob nand even though I got it for xmas I still haven't even looked through it, a combination of living slap bang in the middle of the city in a apartment surrounded by other blocks, and then the day of the first night I had a chance to get out of town some git driving into the back of our nice new Rav4 has ruined it so far.

Bah! :(

Soldato
OP
Associate
150p yes on an eq3 but not for the 200p.

If you go outside now and look SW that stupidly bright star is Venus. You dont get to see it very much so do it while you get the chance :)

Associate
Thank you very much for the feedback and advice, it's appreciated.

So with the EQ3-2 and the 200P I could at a later date get in to AP with this set up? Obviously I know I'll need to buy more stuff but this would be a good foundation?

For a relatively cheap AP setup I would recommend a cheap refractor (around F5 or lower would be ideal) and a sturdy equatorial mount with a motor drive.

Astrophotography can become a very expensive hobby depending on how far you want to take it, however by the same token the more you learn the more you know exactly what you need and exactly what you don't.

Associate
First thing first is learn the sky. I got myself some 15x70 binos and had a great time with them learning the sky. I got my first scope before doing this and got a bit disappointed as everything just looked like stars. Get stellarium and it wont take long before your star hoping

Soldato
OP
@#331: I don't know, i've got some 8x40s that i use occasionally, but it's so much of a fuss coming up with a way to keep them still and it's not really that much better than naked eye. How big are 70mm bins? Because you can get good sized 80mm scopes...

Soldato
I've got my scope out tonight, currently sat warm in my room imaging pleiades. I've got my scope and camera wired to PC in my room so I don't have to go out in the cold. :)

Soldato
I think it's worth stressing that DSOs won't look like the photos unless you have a massive apperture, fast focal ratio scope! Many people expect Hubble views..

Soldato
OP
Ha, was just out for a bit with the bins after we were talking about them, caught the pleiades (although they didn't look quite that good ;)), Jupiter and i think two of her moons quite fleetingly and i'm sure i saw the Orion Nebula as a sort of cloud using averted vision.

Thanks for giving me the idea to go out with them by the way, was a lot better than i remember.

Now for Stargazing Live :D

Associate
Ha, was just out for a bit with the bins after we were talking about them, caught the pleiades (although they didn't look quite that good ;)), Jupiter and i think two of her moons quite fleetingly and i'm sure i saw the Orion Nebula as a sort of cloud using averted vision.

Thanks for giving me the idea to go out with them by the way, was a lot better than i remember.

Now for Stargazing Live :D

Yeap they are great for beginners and the 15x70s are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom