*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Caporegime
I am not really knowledgeable about designations or the star map whatsoever.

But currently there is quite a bright star/planet emanating from just below the moons position.

Just wondering what it is.

From my position it is almost directly 225 degrees from the moon.

Edit: Obviously probably too late now, but i assume someone must know.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am not really knowledgeable about designations or the star map whatsoever.

But currently there is quite a bright star/planet emanating from just below the moons position.

Just wondering what it is.

From my position it is almost directly 225 degrees from the moon.

Edit: Obviously probably too late now, but i assume someone must know.

Could it have been Venus?

9QyYc.png

Associate
Thought I would work on the Moon a bit last week. Here is the link to a full sized mosaic, takes a little while to load:

http://www.samiransari.co.uk/moon_mosaic.jpg

And some smaller crops:

7781587074_4cb602007c_b.jpg

7781584922_a3631e5d9b_h.jpg

7781586188_6200e9f24c_h.jpg

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I would really like to get into astronomy and likes, but I just feel i'm "too young" in a way, as it all seems rather expensive...

A basic telescope isn't that expensive. The one I got was about £60 and it's great for looking at the moon and can just about make out the rings around Jupiters surface.

Last edited:
Soldato
A basic telescope isn't that expensive. The one I got was about £60 and it's great for looking at the moon and can just about make out the rings around Jupiter.

Oh that's not as bad as I was expecting, trouble is I would have no idea where to start. But I guess that would just be a question of finding info on the web, or reading certain books?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Explain more. Do you have a link to the telescope?

Yeah sure, the products website is here
I purchased it from QVC of all places :D but they no longer sell it, but I found it here for the same price, although I have no idea what that shop is like!

Oh that's not as bad as I was expecting, trouble is I would have no idea where to start. But I guess that would just be a question of finding info on the web, or reading certain books?

With the basics is always a good point to start ;)

I just downloaded Stellarium put my location in on the program, then looked at what I could see from where I am located. Then had a gander at the heavens to see what I could recognise, and used the telescope when I found something of interest, such as Jupiter being easily visable a few months ago etc.

You soon begin to spot the constellations when you look up at night, I'm still a noob with it all myself, but I'm enjoying every minute I spend looking at distant stars and planets :D

Soldato
With the basics is always a good point to start ;)

I just downloaded Stellarium put my location in on the program, then looked at what I could see from where I am located. Then had a gander at the heavens to see what I could recognise, and used the telescope when I found something of interest, such as Jupiter being easily visable a few months ago etc.

You soon begin to spot the constellations when you look up at night, I'm still a noob with it all myself, but I'm enjoying every minute I spend looking at distant stars and planets :D

Soldato
There's a ton of options for cheaper scopes (that don't completely suck ;)), even more when you look at the used market. The thing is, 'as cheap as possible' isn't really a helpful budget :p
:D

I'll start with my eyes and move up from there when I know a bit more about what I'm doing :p

Associate
Cheers Mik, took a good couple of hours to capture everything. I did the same tile twice a few times because I wanted to be extra sure I caught everything this time (last mosaic I did I missed a spot!)

I used QG Video which should come with the QHY5, and a little trick I found is to turn off the advanced noise reduction in the options. This essentially doubled my frame rate for the expense of noise which was easy to get rid of at the processing stage :)

Back
Top Bottom