*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
I need to get a new telescope. since I moved to the middle of nowhere there isn't any light polution. the sky looks fantastic at night when I'm leaving for work. its that dark I can't see the car until I'm about 5feet away.

Man of Honour
I'm going for non story, people have second guessed NASA like this several times and all have been non story's.

Looks like ESA mars missions are back on, with help from Russia after america pulled out. All which is left is signing the treaty which is expected before the end of the year.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It could be one of 2 things I imagine.

1: Sample contains signs of active life.
2: Sample contains evidence of life once on Mars.

It's always been said that Mars was once like Earth before it lost its atmosphere!

He does say it's for the history books so I'm optimistic!

Soldato
I won't trust this fully just yet then, but even if there is a slight possibility of this being true I will keep hoping for it, just because it could be interesting :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A thought on this^ in fact,

However, that would not constitute proof of life — modern or ancient — because meteorites carry organics to Mars, Stoker added. "Detection of organic compounds has limited relevance to detection of modern life. Curiosity's instrumentation and the choice of landing sites for MSL were optimized for exploring ancient habitable environments, not modern ones," she said.

Stoker said that even if there is modern life on Mars, it can grow only where liquid water is available. Therefore, since Gale Crater has no evidence of modern water or ice, life can't grow there, she noted.

"Furthermore, Curiosity's instrumentation is geared towards characterizing rocks and minerals. Different choices of landing sites and instrumentation are needed to look for evidence of modern life," Stoker said.
Quoted from here: http://www.space.com/17306-mars-rover-curiosity-red-planet-life-search.html

So curiosity doesn't have the ability to confirm modern life but visually or from mineral samples could confirm ancient life.

Unless the cameras have picked up a bug walking in the area then can't see it being anything else surely?

Back
Top Bottom