*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

Soldato
I was reading this and have to say I agree with the comments by Bob Greenwade and yaz.

It's pretty sound to consider that anyone out there intelligent enough to find the meti messages sent by the population would be intelligently evolved enough to at the very least be on our own level but most likely a lot more advanced. If they are space bound then they're in orders of magnitude more advanced and will be exactly as yaz puts it:

Have you read this before mate, could be up your street. :)

http://sethbaum.com/ac/2011_ET-Scenarios.pdf

Soldato
No I meant the latest reply, I clicked to submit and it brought me to this page (as you had posted right as I did) and it looked like I had posted as you :p

You know what that means. :p:p

aliens_zps207533b8.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Have you read this before mate, could be up your street. :)

http://sethbaum.com/ac/2011_ET-Scenarios.pdf
Saved for later reading cheers!

Indeed, but anyway I highly doubt even if anything else ever picks up any of our signals, I think we will be long gone by then... Our first radio signals have got literally nowhere, and they've been travelling for 200 years.

RqrdNPH.jpg

I'm inclined to agree but even if the chances are slim to none in our lifetime it's still something worth putting resources into. This new project would turn Earth into a bigger beacon than radio signals as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm inclined to agree but even if the chances are slim to none in or lifetime it's still something worth putting resources into. This new project would turn Earth into a bigger bacon than radio signals as well.

I didn't mean to imply it's not worth doing, certainly is! :)

Soldato
Got a few bits ordered for the scope recently, and still getting more.

Lazy susan bearing + sliders on the way to fit to the base, TAL 2x barlow (can't believe I found one finally), still waiting to hear back for a 2" UHC filter and now looking for a 32mm SW Panaview eyepiece to grab up 2nd hand :)

Money money money!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This is really cool/interesting news from Voyager 1:

Scientists initially thought that Voyager’s transition into this new realm, where effects from the rest of the galaxy become more pronounced, would be gradual and unexciting. But it’s proven to be far more complicated than anything researchers had imagined, with the spacecraft now encountering a strange region that scientists are struggling to make sense of.

“The models that have been thought to predict what should happen are all incorrect,” said physicist Stamatios Krimigis of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, who is lead author of one of three new papers on Voyager appearing in Science on June 27. “We essentially have absolutely no reliable roadmap of what to expect at this point.”

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/06/voyager-unexpected-region/

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom