*** The Official Astronomy & Universe Thread ***

In celebration of its upcoming 25th anniversary in April, Hubble has revisited M16 and we have a spectacular new image of the iconic Eagle Nebula's "Pillars of Creation":

4dJdJSS.jpg

So I bought some binoculars a while ago to go on holiday with which was great but now I'm not using them because I live in a flat with no garden, when I'm looking out the window or sitting on the balcony with them I get worried that my neighbours will assume I'm peeping through their windows, does anyone else have this problem?

I've been trying to think of somewhere I could go when its dark but there isn't anywhere I can immediately think of that is high up and open.

Nice sot cosimo.

I have to confess I spent saturday dogfooding my new plugin for TheSkyX.

Here's it focusing:

Next the imaging.. a single sub of 5 minutes, no PA (other than a quick manual by-eye alignment), and no guiding. Scope sat on the garden pier.

Stretched in PI ..
16260779951_ab96bb366c_c.jpg

I'll be sorting out the desiccant later today!

Rosetta in a 30km orbit around Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Taken on 6th January by NavCam:

QLqXG3G.jpg

ESA/Rosetta/NAVCAM – CC BY-SA IGO 3.0

This four-image montage comprises Rosetta navigation camera images taken from a distance of 27.9 km from the centre of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko on 6 January. The image resolution is 2.3 m/pixel and the individual 1024 x 1024 frames measure about 2.4 km across.

Which version of TheSkyX are you using?

Professional Edition + camera addon.

Only slight grievance is that to the software to assist in polar alignment you need the T-point Addon. However I used David Hulse's Emac software to visually align the mount. I'll create an ST-4 guider cable or a handset cable.

Ten years ago, Jan. 14, 2005, the Huygens probe touched down on Saturn's largest moon, Titan. This new movie depicts the view from Huygens during the last few hours of its historic descent and landing:

Back
Top Bottom