** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Soldato
ArchAnGeL said:
so can you use cheapo ram with this and dividers

say 533hz ram and 450fsb?
WJA96 seems to be able to do it with his Patriot PC5300 memory, so I don't see why not. I'm gonna get this board with some OCUK PC6400 just to make sure though.

Soldato
ArchAnGeL said:
so can you use cheapo ram with this and dividers

say 533hz ram and 450fsb?

There is no divider. The RAM and CPU speed settings are completely separate. That's what asynchronous means ;)

You could buy the cheapest nastiest DDR2-3200 and run the RAM at 200MHzFSB/400MHz DDR2 and have the processor at 450MHzFSB/1800QFSB. And it won't run a huge amount slower either.

Soldato
ArchAnGeL said:
so for the same price, new.

this board or a ds3? with a e6400

The safe choice is a DS3 because it's pretty much guaranteed to work and if you don't need SLi, then why buy an SLi board. In reality though, the DS3 needs expensive RAM to overclock with, the ASUS doesn't. The ASUS also doesn't suffer from the P965 Bootstrap issue over 400FSB where the computer actually runs slower over 400FSB than it does under it, until you hit something like 470FSB.

I've got the money to take a punt on this and it's a keeper for me. I reckon once a few others have had a play it will be a safer choice to go with the ASUS.

Soldato
trojan698 said:
I'd wait to see oc_64's results with his E6300. It'd be nice to see these boards hitting 500 fsb with the 2mb cache chips.

Was reading yesterday that 480~500 plus a few ticks is where most overclockers got to max - just google around for reviews of this board.

@ArchAnGeL : Has not the DS3 come done in price too ? For me personally the Asus is the board to buy but will wait a few more days for WJA96 and others to do the hard work for me ;) heh

The only downside that I have read about this board is the vdroop - any comments WJA ?

Associate
don't think I can post prices but I have seen the ds3 in stock for the same price people are paying for this atm. I am also considering that I will end up buying some sort of cooling solution for the northbridge and a passive heatsink for the southbridge that will bump the price up.

As you say though, I could save a bit on the ram.

Soldato
Subliminal Aura said:
... will wait a few more days for WJA96 and others to do the hard work for me ;) heh

It's a pleasure ;)

The only downside that I have read about this board is the vdroop - any comments WJA ?[/QUOTE]

wja96 said:
The Vdroop is horrific though so the difference between idle and 100% utilization temperatures is quite small - It's idling at 48C and maxing out at 62C and even with an 80mm cable-tied to the Northbridge the heatsink is still 70C (thermometer measured). Silent it's not!

The Vdroop (as it's name suggests) only appears when you are under load so you end up putting a lot of voltage through the CPU at idle to get it stable under load too. It doesn't bother me, but some people seem to have heart attacks if their CPU's aren't idling at 20-30C.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
There is no divider. The RAM and CPU speed settings are completely separate. That's what asynchronous means ;)

You could buy the cheapest nastiest DDR2-3200 and run the RAM at 200MHzFSB/400MHz DDR2 and have the processor at 450MHzFSB/1800QFSB. And it won't run a huge amount slower either.
So, could I run my OCZ EB PC4000 ya think? Man, thanks for pointing this out!

Don't have to worry about selling some memory I bought for £200, sell it for £100 and buy some new £200 PC6400 memory.

Link

Last edited:
Soldato
ArchAnGeL said:
don't think I can post prices but I have seen the ds3 in stock for the same price people are paying for this atm. I am also considering that I will end up buying some sort of cooling solution for the northbridge and a passive heatsink for the southbridge that will bump the price up.

I think the DS3 is a more mature product. The ASUS is the first 650i chipset board to the market and we're still on the first BIOS release. You won't save a huge amount on the RAM. As for the chipset cooling the DS3 also suffers hideously from high Northbridge temperatures.

As I said, I took a gamble on this because I like cheap SLi boards (I had a couple of P5ND2-SLi's then some P5N-SLi's) and now this one does what the others promised. With a pair of 7900GS graphics cards (£200-worth) this machine is flying through 3D-Mark 06 (9306) and with £350 worth of 7900GTO's in it it's doing almost 12,000 3DMarks.

You won't be upset by buying either board.

Soldato
Kaiju said:

Don't have to worry about selling some memory I bought for £200, sell it for £100 and buy some new £100 PC6400 memory.

Link

No, that's DDR RAM, not DDR2. But that is excellent DDR RAM so you should be able to sell it and buy good DDR2 RAM instead.

Soldato
Kaiju said:

Don't have to worry about selling some memory I bought for £200, sell it for £100 and buy some new £200 PC6400 memory.

Link

I wouldn't sell that for less than £150 - get a price check in Member's Market to be sure though.

Associate
Boards arrived and running.
Booted straight in at 400 FSB 1:1 w/ 1.28 or so vCore in bios, and 2.1 vDimm. 4,4,4,8 timings running 1T.
Just wanted a decent base speed to get windows installed on before pushing things a bit further.

Bios layouts quite nice tbh, similar to other Asus boards tho once you've seen one you've seen em all!

Soldato
OK - If I put my 'best' settings down for the E6600, could you do the same for the E6300 and then I would be grateful if anyone else who buys the board could test these settings? One of the things that really helps sell the Gigabyte boards is there are lots of sets of instructions on how to overclock them. If we can get that for the ASUS then I'll feel a lot happier about recommending it over the equivalent Gigabyte board.

Back
Top Bottom