** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Soldato
WJA96 said:
Yes, I don't think he can be congratulated enough - that's a stonking overclock on a brand-new board.

Sorry to be blunt, but the RAM speed is irrelevant to the overclock on the CPU. The RAM clocks completely independently of the CPU. Buy the fastest RAM you feel comfortable buying and stick it in. MOre RAM speed=more overall performance, but above PC6400 speeds you tend to be paying lots more money for less and less increase in performance. Think E6600 vs. E6700 as a good example. No-one buys the E6700 because it's a lot more expensive and not much faster.

In terms of is 450MHz FSB possible with an E6600. Maybe. All the chips seem to top out in the region of 3.6GHz on air. With this board you can build the ultimate cheapo performance rig;

1. E6300 OEM
2. Your choice of CPU cooler (but I like the AC Freezer 7 Pro for cheapo rigs)
3. OcUK PC6400 Value RAM
4. P5N-E SLi

So for £360 you have the core of a 3.5GHz SLi rig that would not disgrace a pair of 7900GTO's and will run almost any game at medium-high resolutions with almost all the eye-candy turned on. That's a really good deal.
Once again, you come to my aid. Thank you man. Okay, i'm finally seeing the light. :)

You say 3.5GHz with the E6300, but wouldn't the bottleneck be more with the OCUK value RAM? Being 800DDR2, 400FSB effective, means it'd need an overclock of 100MHz (500FSB) to achieve 3.5Ghz? The guy above is using the Crucial 10th Ann afterall, albeit 4-4-4-8 2T.

Associate
Reet, another update. Memory clocking on this board is wierd. With FSB running at 500, setting the memory at 550 = no boot. Even relaxing the timings and increasing vDimm doesn't help.
Drop the FSB to 490 however and the board boots fine with the ram @ 550. Very strange! Need to find the FSB cutoff (and see if increasing the FSB over 500 helps). Can anyone else confirm similar?

500_pi32m.JPG

32m stable

Man of Honour
Kaiju said:
but wouldn't the bottleneck be more with the OCUK value RAM? Being 800DDR2, 400FSB effective, means it'd need an overclock of 100MHz (500FSB) to achieve 3.5Ghz? The guy above is using the Crucial 10th Ann afterall, albeit 4-4-4-8 2T.

No. The RAM speed is completely independant from the FSB. It isn't eveb in a divider.

Can anyone confirm multi's are still unlocked downwards? (sorry I'm not a C2D owner)?

Associate
Subliminal Aura said:
@OC_A64 : Were you as the site implies 'drunkenstudent' when you resized those images ?

Do you mind sizing up some that we can read and posting links to them ?

Cheers mate

I would but other sites whinge about the image sizes/page load times etc. Full sized images uploaded. Click link below, they're in that folder

Full sized copies are marked "large" here

<edit> and yes, I've had a few :p </edit>

Soldato
Hades said:
No. The RAM speed is completely independant from the FSB. It isn't eveb in a divider.
Ah, NOW i get it. Kinda. So the only thing i can't fathom is the asynchronous/synchronous aspect. I've just realised the quad-pumped thing Intel do (making up new terms are they?), so the FSB means jack now. So the synchronous part is actually the bus speed divided by the RAM speed?

Are the bus speed and the FSB two independant numbers though that can be changed in the BIOS? For example, like OC_A64 just dropped the FSB from 500 to 490, does that mean the bus speed has gone down and effectively lowered the CPU speed?

Confused again.

Associate
Kaiju said:
Ah, NOW i get it. Kinda. So the only thing i can't fathom is the asynchronous/synchronous aspect. I've just realised the quad-pumped thing Intel do (making up new terms are they?), so the FSB means jack now. So the synchronous part is actually the bus speed divided by the RAM speed?

Are the bus speed and the FSB two independant numbers though that can be changed in the BIOS? For example, like OC_A64 just dropped the FSB from 500 to 490, does that mean the bus speed has gone down and effectively lower the CPU speed?

Confused again.

You have 2 options in bios. Sync and Async memory speeds. Basically sync speeds run 1:1 with the FSB.
Async speed opens up 2 further options to you. In one you set the FSB (from which the CPU speed is derived) and in the other you can set a memory speed. The 2 are independant. You can set an FSB of 266 (cpu runs at stock) and a memory speed of 600 (the memory runs at 600 FSB) if you wanted.
Or, in the case of above, FSB = 590 memory speed = 550. Could set the memory to 521 if you wanted, or 700, it wouldn't have any impact on the CPU speed at all. Likewise if the CPU is set at 490 FSB and the memory speed is increased to say 600 mhz, the CPU speed doesnt change.

Soldato
Nice one, guys. Big help. I remember the days when I was in the know, had my 1700+ overclocked by over a gig and was using watercooling. Those days have long gone with my 3700+ only overclocked by half a gig and using air. :p

Soldato
Kaiju said:
Nice one, guys. Big help. I remember the days when I was in the know, had my 1700+ overclocked by over a gig and was using watercooling. Those days have long gone with my 3700+ only overclocked by half a gig and using air. :p

Good now DONT forget it again :rolleyes: : This stuff is p*s8 easy like riding a bike you shouldn't forget it especially at your young tender age ;)

Anyway I'm a n00b myself but I tend to find that all the facts are tried and tested techniques are already out there : RTM and g00gling for it will get you far.

Associate
terryuk22 said:
what voltage memory does this board like and is corsair or kingstone ok

It's not having any problems with D9 based IC's so far which don't mind a bit of juice. Can't see there being any major issues with other IC's, haven't heard of any/many problems thus far.

Soldato
OC_A64 said:
Reet, another update. Memory clocking on this board is wierd. With FSB running at 500, setting the memory at 550 = no boot. Even relaxing the timings and increasing vDimm doesn't help.
Drop the FSB to 490 however and the board boots fine with the ram @ 550. Very strange! Need to find the FSB cutoff (and see if increasing the FSB over 500 helps). Can anyone else confirm similar?

Yes, there are some odd combinations of round (end in 00) numbers that don't like each other. If you add or remove 4, 8 or 12 from one number or the other then it usually boots fine.

Associate
WJA96 said:
Yes, there are some odd combinations of round (end in 00) numbers that don't like each other. If you add or remove 4, 8 or 12 from one number or the other then it usually boots fine.

Lovely cheers mate, will give that a shot later and see how it goes :D

Associate
SidewinderINC said:
i think those shots have sold this board for me completely!

are there any troubles with NB voltage after 450fsb?

Mines maxed atm, needs that much for 500 32m stable.
If you were running 450 or so, then the 1.5xx setting should be enough. You'll need a fan over the NB either way though. 1.5xx -> 1.7 doesnt seem to add that much more heat.
Will add this to the list of things to test later if you want though? - Unless WJA96 can provide the answer?

Back
Top Bottom