*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Anyone who thinks Bellew would have won that fight if Haye stayed injury free is deluded. He couldn't even stop a 1 leg Haye with bombs landing left right and center. I believe Haye would have gotten better as the fight went on if injury free.

We will never know has Bellew will never give Haye a rematch..

Soldato
Anyone who thinks Bellew would have won that fight if Haye stayed injury free is deluded. He couldn't even stop a 1 leg Haye with bombs landing left right and center. I believe Haye would have gotten better as the fight went on if injury free.

We will never know has Bellew will never give Haye a rematch..

Your talking rubbish. Haye was swinging about like a windmill. Bellew ran rings around him and just made it a waiting game. I think you need to watch the fight again

Man of Honour
Terrible outcome. I wanted Bellew to have his head knocked off with the first punch.

I do think Haye would have won if the injury didn't happen, but it wouldn't have been a knockout. Think Haye is past it and just needs to walk away now, Bellew won't give him a rematch as he knows he won't get so lucky next time with an injury and the result might not go the same way. If that's the case, where else does he go?

Don
Your talking rubbish. Haye was swinging about like a windmill. Bellew ran rings around him and just made it a waiting game. I think you need to watch the fight again
Haye came out swinging from the first round and looked all over the place, whether that was because he knew it was a matter of time before his achilles gave way I don't know, but from the 2nd round right up until his injury he began to take complete control of the fight. In the round prior to his achilles going he hit Bellew with a combination and you could see he hurt him. Obviously we'd never know but had Haye not got injured I'd have expected him to stop Bellew within the next 2 rounds.

Soldato

You're*

I thought Haye started to setting into the fight before he injured himself. I think its you that needs to watch it again. Tony was gassed against a 1 legged Haye..

Don
Bellew won't give him a rematch as he knows he won't get so lucky next time with an injury and the result might not go the same way. If that's the case, where else does he go?

Disagree entirely. The fight only ever happened because it was the only big pay day Bellew could get and Bellew admitted to everybody in his post fight interview that it was about one thing, money. Bellew's in it for the money and he's in a great position now - he's gone from having one big pay day, probably expecting to lose to Haye then going back down to his weight and earning modest amounts again, to now being guaranteed two more massive pay days. My prediction is he'll get a fight against somebody like Wilder, lose that and then have a rematch with Haye (Haye's fitness permitting of course).

Eddie Hearn's rubbing his hands together at all this too - not only will a Bellew/Wilder fight sell well now but getting Wilder over here will only make the future Wilder/Joshua fight even bigger.

Associate
I think there was a slight slip at some point which might well have been the thing that took out his achilles. Could have been a different injury, it looks very knee like to me. I mean he was somewhat slapping his leg down but it looked like he couldn't lock out his knee. Meh, maybe they look the same, when my knee goes out on me I can barely balance because I just can't lock my knee out, they just bend when you'd think they will stay up.

Also for me when my knee goes it will be because of one slightly abnormal move, a slip is just something you don't react to in a trained/normal way and that is often how a tendon/ligament will go, something against normal movement that your muscle's normal behaviour isn't ready to prevent happening.

Replay just now really makes it look like his knee went.

Looking at the replay it clearly shows his achilles going. You can see the moment it pops and he realizes immediately.

You can tell its his achilles because he is totally flat footed on his right foot afterwards. He lost the ability to pivot his foot and therefore couldn't get up onto his toes to get his power behind the punches.

I'm surprised he didn't have some sort of strapping on that ankle (thinking something similar to what Andy Murray uses) as well as boots that went up his ankle to give extra support.

Man of Honour
Disagree entirely. The fight only ever happened because it was the only big pay day Bellew could get and Bellew admitted to everybody in his post fight interview that it was about one thing, money. Bellew's in it for the money and he's in a great position now - he's gone from having one big pay day, probably expecting to lose to Haye then going back down to his weight and earning modest amounts again, to now being guaranteed two more massive pay days. My prediction is he'll get a fight against somebody like Wilder, lose that and then have a rematch with Haye (Haye's fitness permitting of course).

Eddie Hearn's rubbing his hands together at all this too - not only will a Bellew/Wilder fight sell well now but getting Wilder over here will only make the future Wilder/Joshua fight even bigger.

I was talking about Haye when I said where else does he go :p

Caporegime
Having watched the fight back, I'm astounded Bellew was still standing after some of those early shots. He got hit with a three or four punch combination square to the face in round 3 or 4 and he took them all. I had Haye down to wipe him out in the first few rounds, as did most people, but I'm not sure he actually had the power to do so. Add to the fact Haye was swinging so wildly and Bellew was dodging so many of his punches, something I didn't expect to happen either, I think Bellew could've lasted the whole 12 rounds if he had to. His face didn't look very bad on TV this morning considering the shots he was taking.

As for Haye's injury, he got caught on the side of the head/neck just before Bellow slipped and I thought it was that punch that made Haye fall to pieces but I guess it was the shock/panic of the injury that happened seconds before. Not really sure how an achilles can gas someone so hard but he looked a desperate man after that.

Don
Try throwing a punch when you can't put any weight on one leg.
I was talking about Haye when I said where else does he go :p
I know, I was replying to your comment about Bellew not giving him a rematch. Bellew's in it for the money and providing Haye's able to fight again then he'll give him that rematch.

As above, everything really has fallen into place for Bellew. From hoping and praying that Haye doesn't get a bigger offer, he's now going to end up with 3 big PPV fights.

Caporegime
Try throwing a punch when you can't put any weight on one leg.
Not doubting his chance of winning the fight ended with the injury, and that would've explained the desperation, but I can't understand how an achilles injury can make a man go from sitting on his stool having a chat at the end of round 5 to being completely gassed at the end of round 6.

Don
I'd be really surprised if a rematch does happen. I think Haye will be left out of options as he's certainly never going to get his title shot now.
Put yourself in Bellew's position. You're completely open about why you wanted the Haye fight and why you're in boxing to begin with - the money. If Haye doesn't get injured he all but certainly loses the fight and Haye was pretty much the only heavyweight he could fight (it was the only fight that would have sold), the rest are too big for him. By some miracle he's won the fight and now it's made fights against bigger heavyweights plausible - barring another freak incident he's got one shot with the Wilder's of this world. Assuming he loses that, where does Bellew now go? He'd have just come off the back of 2 big pay days vs Haye and Wilder, there are no money fights for him at cruiserweight and he won't be getting a shot against another big heavyweight. Does he go back to cruiserweight and earn a fraction of what he's just made, retire or take another big pay day vs Haye? Because of what's happened the Haye rematch is going to sell even better than this one did.

Don
Not doubting his chance of winning the fight ended with the injury, and that would've explained the desperation, but I can't understand how an achilles injury can make a man go from sitting on his stool having a chat at the end of round 5 to being completely gassed at the end of round 6.
I don't remember thinking he looked gassed tbh. As soon as his achilles went there was a mad scramble to try and knock Bellew out asap but then it was a case of just trying to stay standing and hoping for a lucky shot.

Caporegime

Gassed? he didn't look tired, he looked like he could barely move his leg.

I mean look up what the achilles tendon does, or any tendon. It connects the muscle to the bone, of it's snapped then you literally lose the ability to use your calf muscle to pivot the foot backwards. You can't get on the ball of your feet because you can't lift your heel up. It's just gone, the calf muscle would no longer be connected to the foot.

It's not tiredness, if the achilles has gone you physically lose 50%(the more important 50%) of motion, it's not hard, it literally does not work. Think about your walking motion, as your right foot is forward you want your left to role onto the ball of the foot then push off, that motion is physically impossible. That's why he was lifting his entire leg at the knee and slapping his foot down ahead of him, it's all that was possible.

He did amazingly well, he might have also been in really serious pain, I mean something clearly went, you have two real situations, the tendon is ripped badly or ruptured, whatever, then every step you take might be ripping it more and that would hurt like hell. If it went completely, then that is still something torn inside of you causing pain and every time you step down on it, it will hurt a fair amount.

Not a fan of frankly any of these fighters, but trying to play on with one leg not working, a severely compromised base with which to punch from and in great pain was a pretty incredibly show of bravery. Though he was helped massively knowing Bellew was no genuine threat to himself in terms of causing him a serious and dangerous knock out.

Soldato
Haye's biggest mistake was going into the fight thinking he could steamroller Bellew within a couple of rounds or whenever he wanted. Bellew was fitter and better on the night.

Don
Haye's biggest mistake was going into the fight thinking he could steamroller Bellew within a couple of rounds or whenever he wanted.

I'd like to know whether he thought that or whether it was a result of his injury. With hindsight it looks to me that Haye was worried about his achilles going at any minute and thought he had to take Bellew out asap.

Soldato
The haye fan boys are so funny.

Tried to walk in all guns blazing because he thought he was a super hard hitter. Ran out of steam and that's that. Injury is just the excuse. He didn't have much left anyway.

Back
Top Bottom