*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
I touched on it just now. The quality of the fight isn't really a major factor as to whether something is PPV, it's the pantomime around it and whether you can sell it. Bellew and Haye both talk a good game and given their profile it was going to sell well regardless.

I agree with you, it's just a shame that so many people get drawn in by the spectacle. I'm a boxing fan but I wouldn't call myself massively knowledgeable about the sport, yet I'd like to think I know the difference between a fight that is worth paying for and one that the boxers have just talked into a good fight. It's a bit like being taken in by a scam, you'd think most people would have enough common sense to know it's too good to be true.

Soldato
I agree with you, it's just a shame that so many people get drawn in by the spectacle. I'm a boxing fan but I wouldn't call myself massively knowledgeable about the sport, yet I'd like to think I know the difference between a fight that is worth paying for and one that the boxers have just talked into a good fight. It's a bit like being taken in by a scam, you'd think most people would have enough common sense to know it's too good to be true.
I think most folk know that was a show tbh

the winner was not going to challenge for the heavyweight belt right?

It's a shame for Haye, as he was a top boxer at the time.

Last edited:
Don
The size of Coldwell stood amongst Bellew, Nelson, Joshua and Price :D
I'm not sure you can call it a scam. Take the first fight - we all thought it was going to be a farce, although not the way it turned out, but at the same time we were all intrigued and wanted to watch it because of the drama around the fight. Hearn's said before, PPV fights aren't always fights for boxing fans, they're the fights that appeal to casual fans who aren't tuning in for the skill but the hype and drama. As a fight was the first fight great quality? No but it had plenty of drama and I'm sure Joe public wasn't disappointed.

Soldato
Entertaining enough, haye is finished and needs to retire. Embarrassing losing to bellow for someone as good as he once was.

Fair play to bellow, short, sharp and fast punches while haye was winging em in.

Associate
Fair play to Bellew, closed the book on David Haye emphatically, just as he predicted.

Haye seemed to start OK, but something was a little off with him. As soon as the first knockdown happened it was game over, he was jumping between survival mode and last ditch attack mode against a Bellew that was arguably the best we've seen in terms of speed, power and sharpness.

He showed a lot of heart again, something that people have criticised him for in the past, but it's time for him to retire before he dents his legacy any further, he just doesn't have the tools anymore.

I wonder where Bellew goes from here? It's a great note to retire on if he chooses, but he looked pretty good in there tonight tbh!

Last edited:
Soldato
He's always been very honest and open in the fact he can't compete with this new generation of heavyweights who are over 6 foot 5, he doesn't need too or particularly want to go there.

In a funny interview recently he said when Wilder hugged him, he wrapped his arm right around him and could have tickled his own chin, he has a foot reach advantage at least.. lol.

Bellew has always been a fairly intelligent boxer, his ring IQ is very good. He should retire now, on a high imo as I can only see things going downhill for him if he continues, he should be financially set anyway by now.

Soldato
Got that one totally wrong! No excuses for Haye he got beat worse this time than the first time, never should step foot in the ring again he's done. He still didn't look right in this fight same as the first one clearly his legs are gone.

Fair play to Bellew as a persona he does my head in but he's done Haye like a kipper on 2 occasions. What he does now dunno, feels like he'd be going out a bit early if he retired now there's more out there for him but not sure if it's at heavy or cruiser.

Soldato
he could fight the winner of the cruiser super series later this year or theres a big fight with ward if they can get him out of retirement

Soldato
Got that one totally wrong! No excuses for Haye he got beat worse this time than the first time, never should step foot in the ring again he's done. He still didn't look right in this fight same as the first one clearly his legs are gone.

Fair play to Bellew as a persona he does my head in but he's done Haye like a kipper on 2 occasions. What he does now dunno, feels like he'd be going out a bit early if he retired now there's more out there for him but not sure if it's at heavy or cruiser.

As long as I was getting through a camp without taking too much out of the body and felt reasonably good after the fight, retirement would be the last thing on my mind after a performance like that.

Regardless of what people feel about David Haye he's still a top level fighter and obviously in tremendous shape and it's no easy task to deal with a guy like that in the fashion Bellew did. Clearly Bellew has a lot more in the tank and some big fights in front of him if he wants them.

Caporegime
GGG's opponent last night wasn't up to much and had been out of the ring for a while but the accuracy of the punches that finished him were ridiculous. 7 or 8 laser guided bombs landing flush to put him down.

As long as I was getting through a camp without taking too much out of the body and felt reasonably good after the fight, retirement would be the last thing on my mind after a performance like that.

Regardless of what people feel about David Haye he's still a top level fighter and obviously in tremendous shape and it's no easy task to deal with a guy like that in the fashion Bellew did. Clearly Bellew has a lot more in the tank and some big fights in front of him if he wants them.

The David Haye in that ring was not a top level fighter even when he looked in control he did nothing. Hayes power wasn’t there and his ability to recover from punches has gone. I still say a peak Haye would win but those days are long gone. Bellow for me could have been more aggressive in the early rounds and taken it sooner.

Back
Top Bottom