*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Didn't Fury fight most of that fight behind a BIG cut?
But Fury is supposed to be in another dimension toward AJ. He had trouble with Walin in that fight prior to the cut.

You guys want to say Fury is the best in the same breathe but ignore him for having troubles with a fighter he picked from obscurity. He is currently 48th in the world rankings.

But yeah, Wallin can get close to Fury but AJ doesn't stand a chance

Soldato
he went 12 rounds with an overweight burger eating machine
Straight off TKO loss. He did exactly as he needed to do in that fight.

I love how Fury fans excuse him for his mess ups but can't do the same for AJ. At least one actually fights mandatories and not random gimmes. Fury has never defended a belt in his life and who was his first WBC voluntary defence going to be against? Ranked #15 Agit Kabayel

Yeah, sorry... beating Wilder, Schwartz(#33), Wallin(#48) Pianeta, and Seferi (#65 at CRUISER WEIGHT)in the last 2 years doesn't make you the unbeatable man some of you are saying he is.

Transmission breaker
Don
I really like Joshua, and think it's better for Boxing that he wins, but I just can't see it happening.

Hell, I can be wrong (and have been before, certainly) but I am allowed my opinion, and as said above, styles make fights, and I think Fury will run rings around AJ.

AJ is undoubtedly a better "boxer" than Wilder, and offers some of the same punch power dangers, which makes him a harder prospect than Wilder for sure.

Again, all my opinion, and I am a nobody. I just call it how I see it :D

Soldato
As I said, I have no problem with people believing either man wins because I see it as a 50:50. I can see Fury winning on points but just as easily as I see him doing that I can see Joshua knocking him out.

It's heavyweight boxing. One punch can change the whole fight. If everyone wants to make out that Joshua stands no chance against him - fine. But you have to explain to me your reasoning that if someone like Wallin (again, ranked 48 in the world) can cause Fury a few problems and also manage to get punches land on him to the point they can cause a cut, what makes you think an Olympic gold (or at worst silver) and unified champion who is at worst 2nd best in the division not have the same success?

Fury isn't some ghost in the ring impossible to get caught. If telegraphing Wilder can land on him - what makes you think the fighter more accurate with his punches and with more punch selection couldn't? So if it's common consensus that AJ is a better technical fighter than Wilder - Why would Wilder be able to land on him but Joshua not?

If a career Cruiserweight fighter in Steve Cunningham was able to drop Fury to the floor what makes you think one the harder hitting heavweights in Joshua can't also floor him?

In Joshua's fights sine Kitshcko in 2017(?) has he ever gassed out or shown signs of gassing out? Maybe against Takam but he suffered a broken nose from memory. Since then he went an easy 12 with Parker, Ruiz and he looked in fine shape today. I don't think he has the same stamina and recovery as Fury but he isn't as musclebound as he has been since that fight.

There is a case for either man winning but lets not start acting like Tyson Fury is some unbeatable and untouchable fighter.

Soldato
AJ and Fury are fundamentally different boxers and i doubt anyone could really call it until the actual fight, its gonna come down to who had the right strategy on the night imo, there both great but both have there weakness's.

Agreed. It's a really close fight and one that I can't wait to watch as I can't call it either way. There's no doubt in my mind that they're both #1 in the heavyweight division (and before Whytes loss to Povetkin I would've said Brits occupied 1, 2 and 3 in the world rankings) so it would be good to see who is actually #1.

The reason I pick AJ over Fury is simple down to the calibre of opposition he has been fighting. Fury only has 2 top 15 names on his resume or if you want to be generous and count Chisora as a credible world level opponent he has 3. He's never defended a belt, is a drug cheat and fights terrible opponents especially when considering people herald him as the greatest fighter.

I woudn't be shocked with a Fury win I just get a bit annoyed with some of his fans hyperbole. Stop acting as if he is genuinely head and shoulders above everyone else in the division when he hasn't fought more than 2 of the current top 20. Wilder and Chisora. If you want to stretch it further then he has only fought 3 of the top 31 fighters in the world and people are declaring him the greatest fighter every without actually fighting much of the world level opposition.

His win against Wlad was amazing. Boring, but a masterclass. But he can't hang his laurels on that win 5 years ago and a win against a weak champion in Wilder (Go on - tell me who Wilder has really beat to be such a strong champion. He had cherry picked so many defences it was ridiculous. His best wins are Ortiz ((Who in turn his best win is bloody Dave Allen, a Malik Scott who ran away all night and Briant Jennings.)) The only reason Wilder went for the Fury fight was because he thought Fury was way past his best and he was hoping for an easier nights work and a name on his resume. I always said AJ would beat Wilder so I don't think Fury has done anything that AJ couldn't do himself. He fights in a very different way to Fury so he'd never dance his was to a point victory over someone like Wlad but he did get the KO.

Tyson Fury's top 5 wins...

1. W Klitschko
2. Wilder
3. Chisora
4. Johnson
5. Hammer

It's a joke. There are lots of good fights out there for Tyson to prove he is the real deal but he never takes them, talks complete BS and his fans lap it up.

TF: 31 fights, 3 World title fights, zero unifications, zero defences and only 3 fights with opponents within the top 30 (with 2 being active)

AJ: 25 fights, 10 world title fights, two unifications, 8 defences and 3 with current active top 10 fighters and another 5 in #15-#29 (not counting Klitshcko)

But yet Fury is the one who is supposed to be some demi-god in the heavyweight division. I'll start to believe it when he starts to consistently fight decent opposition.

Let’s just hope the fight gets made first, then we can start taking about who wins :)

They've got no excuse not to make the fight now. Hopefully the WBO can ease off and let them make the undisputed fight as unifications should trump mandatories.

Fury vs AJ is going to be a mega fight and I think I'm looking forward to the build up more than the fight. Imagine Hearn and Warren going at each other during the press conferences. Would be better than the fight! :p

Soldato
Shame that once we finally get crowds back, the fight's going to be in a atmosphere-less void in the Middle East. Hopefully they can at least make it Dubai or somewhere with enough expats to make a noise.

Soldato
WBO appear to be attempting to block the undisputed fight. Determined to give Usyk his shot (I get that he was unified at CW but he's only beat Witherspoon and Chisora at HW, not sure how that earns him a shot)

Permabanned
I think Joshua should just go straight in with Usyk and get that one out the way while Fury still has his thing going on with Wilder.

Will be good chance for Joshua to gain some experience with a tricky master boxer before he goes into the double header with Fury.

Soldato
I genuinely think Usyk could be a bit of a Banana skin for both Fury and AJ. I wouldn't be shocked if he drops the WBO belt to force the unification with Fury for all the ££££ then whoever wins tries to run it back with the winner of Usyk vs Joyce.

I'm surprised the governing bodies wouldn't be all over this match. AJ/Fury would make way more money than AJ/Usyk would

Permabanned
I think Joyce will be more of a problem for Aj with his relentless come forward pressure and granite chin. I don’t think you can knock him out, you can only out box him and win it on points.

With Usyk he’s not big enough just keep him on the end of a jab and smash him when he tries to get in close. Easier said than done though I guess.

Soldato
I think Joyce will be more of a problem for Aj with his relentless come forward pressure and granite chin. I don’t think you can knock him out, you can only out box him and win it on points.

With Usyk he’s not big enough just keep him on the end of a jab and smash him when he tries to get in close. Easier said than done though I guess.

Joyce is a really weird fighter. He looks so slow and cumbersome but he is so efficient with his work and he lives up to his name that he really is a juggernaut he just keeps moving forwards.

I'd like to see how these smaller but very mobile heavweights like Usyk and Hunter will do against the big boys. You don't need to be a big lump the be effective though. Look at Povetkin

Permabanned
Joyce is a really weird fighter. He looks so slow and cumbersome but he is so efficient with his work and he lives up to his name that he really is a juggernaut he just keeps moving forwards.

I'd like to see how these smaller but very mobile heavweights like Usyk and Hunter will do against the big boys. You don't need to be a big lump the be effective though. Look at Povetkin
I’m a fan of Joyce his engine and chin are 2 great assets and stamina is an area where Joshua has had issues in the past. He can potentially take Joshuas biggest punches and quite feasibly wear Joshua down, drain him and stop him late. I think Joshua would win but wouldn’t be surprised if Joyce pulled off an upset.

Usyk is a phenomenal boxer and can beat a lot of fighters but I’m not sure he’ll beat Joshua let alone Fury. Povetkin was a decent fighter but not good enough to beat the top guys. Him, Whyte etc are just a level down from Fury and Joshua.

Rumors of Joyce fighting Chisora which would be a cracking fight.

Soldato
I’m a fan of Joyce his engine and chin are 2 great assets and stamina is an area where Joshua has had issues in the past. He can potentially take Joshuas biggest punches and quite feasibly wear Joshua down, drain him and stop him late. I think Joshua would win but wouldn’t be surprised if Joyce pulled off an upset.

Usyk is a phenomenal boxer and can beat a lot of fighters but I’m not sure he’ll beat Joshua let alone Fury. Povetkin was a decent fighter but not good enough to beat the top guys. Him, Whyte etc are just a level down from Fury and Joshua.

Rumors of Joyce fighting Chisora which would be a cracking fight.

The reason I'd like to see Fury in with Usyk and Hunter especially are because he seems to have a bit of trouble adjusting to smaller fighters (Cunningham managed to drop him, Wallin was effective against him and he apparently had a rather close fight with Hunter in the amateurs) so it would be interesting to see how Fury could cope with a smaller and mobile heavyweight, would give him something to think about. Usyks movement is fantastic too so it would be an interesting fight.

Joyce fighting Chisora, Parker, Rivas and Ruiz Jr would all be interesting fights.

To be fair there are so many interesting fights to be made within the top 15 or so. Sometimes I wish boxing was ran like the UFC. I like that the fighters are able to make more money in boxing but the almost monopoly UFC has on MMA (I'd say at this point to the casual observer UFC is MMA and no one cares about Bellator etc) but in the UFC you don't have the politics that you get in boxing which stops the best fights happening when they should.

I'll always love Floyd but his focus on the 0 has ruined boxing for a lot of the younger fighters as they're all trying to become the next 'Money May' and avoiding the fights that will actually let them become that. Before Money May there was Pretty Boy Floyd and he was fighting all comers until he was the A Side. Now boxers want one standout win on their resume and act like they're billy big balls who doesn't need to fight the other top tier competition (a bit like the situation we are having with Spence and Crawford).

To be the best you need to beat all comers. Not cherry picks. And the sad thing is cherry picks seem to be the direction boxing is moving in. We, as fight fans, need to start demanding these big fights get made and stop with all this 'build the fight' and 'marinate' nonsense. If I was the leader of one of these alphabet organisations I'd change the rules. Champions must be forced to do their Mandatories and they must not be allowed to fight people outside of the top 10 of that organisations rankings.

It would be like Liverpool deciding to only play Manchester City and Tottenham and then saying "well we beat 2 out of the 20 teams... we're now champions". It doesn't work in Football and it shouldn't work in boxing.

Back
Top Bottom