The official canon 5d mk4 thread

Soldato
OP
Why on earth are people moaning about the card slots?

Why do you want cfast? normal compact flash are fast and cheap at the moment,the sd slot is uhs as well.

Yes in the future cfast will come down, but not having to change to cfast is a massive plus in my eyes.

We dont know how fast the buffer clears yet, it may not need anything faster.

Future proof mate.

This camera will be here for 4+ years....

i rather they go dual cf card in all honesty and remove sd completely as that cripples the CF card speed/buffer!

Also this is a bit of a downer

Code:
http://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/specifications/

"Spot metering: Center spot metering (approx. 1.3% viewfinder at centre)

AF point-linked spot metering not provided"

ffs canon why!

Soldato
OP
camera of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1QMq72KNs

umm

anyways yes sony have a chance to trump nikon and canon.

All they need to do is improve its speed(buffer, startup time, AF tracking speed), battery life and its robustness and we have a winner.

In terms of price. expect the new Sony cameras to be in the same price range as this, except when looking at there spec sheet, most will think the price is justified.

Sony seem to be innovating with each new camera they release and at a fast pace.

The A7r2 is almost there! IT needs faster card slots and i am 100% certain the mk3 will fix this unlike canon who you know they will gimp it which they seem to have done

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That and dual cards slots.

The 5D3 can fight on for another summer.

what is focus stick?

I'm not happy with what they offer there, their decent range of lenses are far too expensive.

Edit:

Am actually also watching this right now, in kinda disbelief.. Granger usually speaks some sense.

The canon equivalents retailed and launched at that price point too.

Have you seen the price of the new 16-35 f2.9 mk3 lens?£ 2349

The 24-105 is also quit expensive at £1129

Soldato
OP
at the back, right of the screen, above the dial is a little joystick. You can use it the navigate and move focus points.

I tend to press it down when I haven't use the camera for a few minutes, it resets it to the centre point. Then without looking at the camera I know the focus point is dead centre. And, without looking still, I can now roll the dials left or right a few clicks by feel and I know it is now at a focus point.

So all without looking, I know where I can focus, then when I raise the camera on my face, the photo is already framed before it is framed so to speak.

It saves me having to correct focus points, I know where i am before the camera is up at my eye.

Ahh yes. i have a 5d3 as well and use this feature a lot and its lacking in the A7r2.

It's also pretty cool to think those fast primes are also stabilised.
However I think the 35mm could have been a bit better. I would love a 35mm Gmaster like the 85mm.

Yup they are all stabalised. Sony already has a 35mm f1.4 prime. Not from the G master series though but from the Distagon range(which are built like tanks but have some QC issues).

Because you get 1 chance of the aisle shot. You can't ask them to walk it again, there is only so much faith you can rely on the focus, the bride and groom tend to look on the floor, they look in the wrong place half the time, they blink, lick lips, guests blocking the way, other camera flashes going off at the wrong time, etc. All the while walking backwards.

If you remove a photo for each of the point above, you might get 1 single half decent photo.

I don't need 30 to 40 photos, I need 1 great one, I prefer to get about 2 to 3.

Don't believe me, have a go.

I shot an f1 race a while ago on the 5dmk3 and the burst mode was pathetic and slow for it. lots of missed shots and even the shots i got that were usable, i was lucky.

I also had to rip out the sd card out as the buffer rate was a joke like the one on the Sony a7r2.

The Sony a7r2 has poor buffer rate when shooting uncompressed raw but i am more faithful that sony will fix that in its next update vs canon fixing the similar buffer issue on the 5d3.

Soldato
OP
Yes I understand most of that, but if that's the case it seems you would be better off using a 4k capable camera and pulling out the stills not relying on a series of shots that might not be 'perfect'.

If you're able to do all the above with a 5D Mark III, then perhaps there isnt a need for a Mark IV?

Heaven knows how Wedding Photographers coped years ago. Perhaps mastered the 'descisive moment'?

lol the 4k stills are in jpeg 7mp in the 5d4!!

Soldato
OP
I asked a lad on dpreview a series of question for him to try and do on the 5d4 as he had a play with one today and here is the bit about the buffer rate.

5. Normal buffer depth (RAW only, ISO100, with “record” function set to “Standard”, just the CF card in the respective slot).

This was in tune with specs (21 shots) with me getting 19, 20 and 21 shots before fps drop in 3 consecutive AIS/High-fps series.

6. "Buffer rate in DPRAW option enabled with just cf card inside".

This was above specs (7shots). I got 9, 12 and 14 shots in 3 consecutive AIS/High-fps runs, pointing at different areas before the FPS rate dropped.

7. "Same as above but with a SD card inside shooting large jpegs and DPRAW in the cf card (does the sd card slot gimp the buffer rate?)"

I found this request a bit odd and thought it would make more sense making it the other way around, so I set the “record” function to “Rec. Separately”, with RAW going to the SD and large Jpegs to the CF card. I got 10, 11 and 11 shots before fps drop in those conditions.

8. Now for the impressive bit: I repeated test 5) but with just the SD card in slot 2 and to my (our) amazement the buffer would simply not top-up, with throughput to the card of such an high number of frames that I had to eventually give up and cut the shutter.

We found this odd and made sure that everything was set as in 5) above (RAW only, ISO100, with “record” function set to “Standard”, just the SD card in the respective slot, AIS and high-speed drive engaged) and repeated the test. Same results.

I was, like, “Pretty impressive, no?” and he was, like “Yes...” but immediately added “but we don’t make this claim”, lol...

The surprising thing is that the buffer rate seems to be gimped on the cf slot and not the sd card slot(he says he was able to shoot none stop raw on the sd card alone!)

Soldato
OP
The price is crazy.
Full frame mainstream cameras have been around for about 11 years (5D launched in 2005) so FF is not special anymore.

These camera's should be costing about £1k.
Photography is so accessible to everyone now (through mobile phone cameras) that the majority of people don't want to pay thousands for wedding, stock, sports, event photos anymore.

i bet u the d900 will cost over 2k.

Sony's ff lineup wont be cheap either.

Canon's price is nothing new tbh. Not many shoot in FF

Back
Top Bottom