**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
Picked up the Pocophone for £222 from gearbest. First time ordering a high priced item from China. What's everyone's experience with gearbest? HotUKDeals seems to rate them highly for avoiding customs and having decent shipping times so fingers crossed. Even if I get hit with a fee it'll still be cheaper than buying here I guess.

Associate
Picked up the Pocophone for £222 from gearbest. First time ordering a high priced item from China. What's everyone's experience with gearbest? HotUKDeals seems to rate them highly for avoiding customs and having decent shipping times so fingers crossed. Even if I get hit with a fee it'll still be cheaper than buying here I guess.
There's no customs charge with UK priority line shipping option as they ship from their China/HK warehouse to a UK address and then forwards it to you via Royal Mail 24/48 service and they declare the parcel under $20.

Soldato
What's the feeling on the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite? I literally bought a OP6 last night due to Amazon having it on sale but it's so darn big still, I'm tempted to return it.

I'm coming from a OP One (!) and want something preferably smaller with a headphone jack. Which is harder to find than you think! Reviews for the Mi A2 Lite seem pretty good, I don't really watch any videos on the phone. It's mainly just used for podcasts/music on my commute and general web browsing and FB etc. A decent camera would be nice but so would the £250 in my pocket difference from the OP6 I just bought :o :confused:

Soldato
I have Mi A2 lite, I had a pixel 2xl before, while I still think the pixel is about the nicest phone I've ever used I really love the Xiaomi, I cannot fathom how its sold for such a low price, its fast, smooth and just generally lovely to use, if you're not bothered about nfc its seriously a no brainer.

Its also Androidone so no MIUI.
Oh and the battery, its unbelievable, I'm on 3 days with no charge so far :)

Last edited:
Soldato
@wiiija thanks for that. How is audio through the headphone jack? Any issues with using a large SD card (with Google music offline?).

My credit card isn't supported by Google Pay (or the other way around, whatever) so no NFC isn't a huge issue. I didn't use it much before with older cards anyway...

Am I crazy for wanting to buy it from CPW just to compare to my OP6? :o

Soldato
I've not tried the headphone jack but I'll give it a go tomorrow for you, no SD card either I'm afraid but I can't see there being a problem, dual sim plus sd card is also a massive plus for this phone.

Soldato
Collected it this morning in fact, the base model 6G ram. Cost just under £500 delivered. Rear case, wireless charger etc. I was meant to receive a free Mi band 3 but it's awol.

First impressions are that it's quite a heavy beast and quite thick compared to today's phones.

As mentioned elsewhere Xiaomi got quite artistic with the PR images regarding the bezel thickness but the screen is still quite impressive to look at.Finding the flip function not as smooth as I thought ,and you need to apply quite a bit of pressure to slid it upwards.(ed. Pulling sliding is easier from the top third of the screen).

Also as expected the camera the camera isn't a patch on my Pixel 3 XL but seems adequate enough.

This is obviously the Chinese version so will look at installing the play store later and getting stuck into it some more.

Nothing overly negative so far though, quite the contrary in fact and love a phone that's a little different.

r4CUbyUl.jpg
C862Mssl.jpg
0MbMWjBl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Mi 8 is very much a premium Pocophone. It has an AMOLED display, NFC and sleeker, full glass design but lacks the headphone jack and micro SD slot and I think has a little bit less battery life as it's 3,400mah vs 4000 mah.

Back
Top Bottom