**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Associate
I'm really impressed so far, I've had the phone for a few days now and I am amazed how it goes toe to toe in terms of performance Vs my old iPhone 8 plus, not noticed any slow downs or lagging or differences yet. It's a learning curve for sure using an android but that's not the phones fault but more the software/me.

The battery on this thing is a beast, the display is way more crisper and vibrant Vs my old iPhone.

I was very sceptical about picking this thing up considering it was just under £100 but very impressed so far.

Excellent - £100 for a device like this, you really can't go wrong and you got a bargain for that too. a Xiaomi model I went for recently which was the Mi A2 (larger version), is very similar to the Note 5 not only in terms of spec but also looks as you may already know - however I do kind of wish that in a way I went with the Note 5 now due to the bigger battery. The battery in the Mi A2 (3010 mAh) is somewhat sufficient but sadly it does let the phone down, and especially as other budget models out there such as the Note 5 come with 4000 mAh right from the off. I can easily get one & a bit of days use out of the Mi A2 but not much more than that - my old OnePlus 5T would easily stretch to two days of use without breaking a sweat, and the Honor 8X being 3750 mAh would as well easily go two days without a charge.

Liam.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should have gone for the A2 Lite as that has a 4,000mAh battery. I get 3-4 days out of mine! I can imagine having stock Android One helps too.

Associate
You should have gone for the A2 Lite as that has a 4,000mAh battery. I get 3-4 days out of mine! I can imagine having stock Android One helps too.

It's interesting you mention the A2 Lite - I was aiming to go for it instead of the normal A2 but initial reviews between the both showed that the A2 lite didn't perform as snappy as the other, I also had a quick play with the A2 lite when out & about and it felt just a little on the small side for my liking. In my opinion, what Xiaomi should have done and like a YouTuber out there mentioned as well - is that they should have released just one version of this phone which simply incorporates all the better features that both have to offer but in a full 6" display. Undoubtedly, both models have their own pro's and also unnecessary / bizarre con's (no USB type-C on the trendier looking A2 Lite but a bigger battery), but nonetheless it really does baffle me with the path Xiaomi went down with both versions of the handsets.

Liam.

Soldato
Yeah they're a strange pair of phones with odd differences - but personally I'm glad. The main two reasons I opted for the Lite was because it's smaller and had a headphone jack :)

Soldato
Got myself a honor 8x after coming from a oneplus device.

Great phone, screen is good for an lcd. Battery is amazing, three days usage now and down to 10%.
The EMUI system is aggressive with shutting down background app's but it certainly helps with battery life.

The only thing I cant seem to get is push notifications for email?. Im using the emui standard email app but push emails don't come through, same with gmail.

All other push notifications like pushover etc are working fine, its just the emails?

Anyone know a fix or have this issue

Associate
Got myself a honor 8x after coming from a oneplus device.

Great phone, screen is good for an lcd. Battery is amazing, three days usage now and down to 10%.
The EMUI system is aggressive with shutting down background app's but it certainly helps with battery life.

The only thing I cant seem to get is push notifications for email?. Im using the emui standard email app but push emails don't come through, same with gmail.

All other push notifications like pushover etc are working fine, its just the emails?

Anyone know a fix or have this issue

Possibly scrap using the stock email app, I've never liked using these due to them never working properly for me in the past. Stick to the likes of Gmail / Outlook for everything else etc. - there will be options to set the push notifications that suit your needs within the apps but it'll also be worth double checking the push notifications for these apps within the EMUI app settings. When I had my 8X, I got all email notifications to work with no issues.

Liam.

Soldato
Thanks Liam.

Ive gone to the gmail app.

Turned off auto battery optimization for both gmail and pushover and have them both running in the background.
Notifications are now coming through fine. As soon as I put battery optimization to auto for these apps the notifications stop, it must kill the app running in the background.

Soldato
Personally I'd wait until the end of March (seen rumours it should at least be announced by then) to see if Xiaomi list an official UK release for the Mi 9. That would then have a Global ROM and a warranty which is actually usable. Given that is only a few weeks it seems foolish to jump for the Chinese version now (which you could always still go for if you wanted to at the later date anyway)

Associate
Global version of the Redmi Note 7 is due for release tomorrow, I think.

Any one else going for this? I plan on grabbing one, so I can give my note 5 to the mrs.

Soldato
Anyone know if Mi Pay is coming to the UK as just noticed it appear on my phone. Don't want to use it, just curious really. I have region set to UK.

Back
Top Bottom