**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
the S8 was a lovely phone but it was slow on release :D
That just slowness didn't reach to emptying battery speed, which was rather shocking after Xperia Z3 Compact.
Though what I looked at the time of purchase, both even older S7 and newest S9 would have both had even worser battery runtime than S8...

Take some pictures! Do the cameras live up to the hype?
Still figuring out the simplest and least steps/third party programs needing way to move data.
Guess Mi Mover is Xiaomi's equivalent to Samsung's Smart Switch for moving data from (any) old phone...
Seems like S8 having older than Android 10 possibly limits some options out.
And that lots of third party apps hyped as free might need paying for some functions when looking at Play store reviews...

But Wifi reception is definitely far better than in S8.
Which might have lost in that also to previous Snapdragon based Xperia Z3 Compact...

Xiaomi 14 picks Wifi instantly on location next to my PC (which has wired ethernet) with also actually good signal.
But S8 just can't pick it up even if I move close to door hole in ~1.2m thick wall of rock and maybe cinder block on one side.
(part of the building is from years after WW2)

Associate
I woke up to Android 14 for my OnePlus 9 this morning. Reluctant to let it go as the size is perfect but there is nothing really to move onto except for the pixel 8. OnePlus seem to be going phablet on every phone now.
I did like my Poco F3 and the F5 Pro is on a really good offer but it's just so big. (Midget fingers here)

Last edited:
Associate
Finally pulled the trigger on the Oneplus 12 from aliexpress (16GB/512GB for £485). Chinese version with Global ROM so I guess if I'm unhappy with it, i'll just sell it.

[edit] ended up refunding and getting the Nubia Z60 Ultra instead :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my note 13 up and running today. Upgraded from a struggling note 8t. First thing I've noticed is how utterly terrible the speaker sounds which is a bit annoying

Last edited:
Soldato
Pulled the trigger.

Oejm8zf.png
How are you getting on with the X6 Pro after a few months. Has it been reliable, fast and stable? Timely security updates and OS patches?

Soldato
Using my new Xiaomi 14 Ultra... It's OK but the default text size on most apps is too small for my eyes compared to the POCO F3 which I've just come from and the Mi8 Lite before that. Increasing the font size is fine but some apps then have difficulty adjusting and end up hiding the bottom half of title words etc.

Also the camera rattle is annoying somewhat.

Soldato
Probably trying a different font would help, there are hundreds of free ones available through the themes section. Can't remember the name of the one I use but it is slightly larger than stock :)
You get used to the camera rattle :D

Just checked, the font is called: Constellation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using my new Xiaomi 14 Ultra... It's OK but the default text size on most apps is too small for my eyes compared to the POCO F3 which I've just come from and the Mi8 Lite before that. Increasing the font size is fine but some apps then have difficulty adjusting and end up hiding the bottom half of title words etc.

Also the camera rattle is annoying somewhat.
There's font size and display size to play with. And even dpi in developer settings.

All phones with big sensors have that OIS rattle.

Soldato
There's font size and display size to play with. And even dpi in developer settings.

All phones with big sensors have that OIS rattle.
Not sure how to access developer and dpi settings.

I don't mind the rattle really once I knew what it was about, at first I thought I had a faulty phone. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
How are you getting on with the X6 Pro after a few months. Has it been reliable, fast and stable? Timely security updates and OS patches?
Got the POCO X6 Pro. Amazing amount of hardware for the money. Works very well too. New phone for mum coming from a Pixel 2.

512GB of ufs4.0 is mental for 300 quid. Fast SoC and decent update schedule sealed the deal.

Soldato
Not sure how to access developer and dpi settings.

I don't mind the rattle really once I knew what it was about, at first I thought I had a faulty phone. :o

Developer access is gained through tapping the miui version window in detailed info and specs section, about 6 times. Careful though, as screen dpi can send things a bit 'screwy' if you got wild with the numbers.

Gotta say, I googled the camera rattle when I got my 13 ultra, having 4x 50MP cameras all with OIS, the thing sounds like a babies rattle! :D

Back
Top Bottom