*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yea I agree. The PC gamers funded the game's development in the first place and now they are being **** on. They should at least finish what they started before taking backhanders from Microsoft.

The core game still isn't finished and some things which were referred to as "placeholders" in alpha are STILL there. Many things are still scripted and rigid, theres no fully evolving or dynamic galaxy yet either. Nor is there any word on the first expansion which was supposed to be out by the end of the year.

The annoying thing is the potential for ED to be huge is there. But there decision making and lack of fixing the core game itself, fixing Mining and Exploring has to be in the next update (last 2 modules still being left behind)

I understand they need to keep the income rolling in, its business sense, but for me they've rushed it along way to far to get it out on the xbox. Game should have had a year at best to iron out all the niggles, get the fundamentals in place etc.

Im still trying to convince my partner to buy it though, she keeps trying to fly one of my ships (not letting lose on my clipper again) and does enjoy trading lol

Soldato
Fella's. I'm 43, don't have much time to play games this day and age, but i do remember being a kid in my bedroom playing Elite and saying to myself OMG, this is the best game ever !!!!

Let me cut to the chase and I apologise that I've not read one single post in this 374 page thread.

Is this game worth getting ? PC is a 2600k /w 7950 8GB ram.

Only a couple of years behind you but in exactly the same position only found out about it by looking at the steam store today........ :o

Associate
You guys think ED is worth it with the -25% off?

I'm coming from EVE and will play hand in hand,

Could anyone let me know the effective ways to gain income? i'm kind of a money hoarder on games then will kit myself out for PVP :p

Soldato
Go to station, buy resource X, go to another station, sell resources.
Then buy something cheap there and go back to original station!

Rinse, repeat.

No real trading between players unless pirating / passing cargo between players.

It is not EVE in space certainly.

Associate
£80 on a joystick, £50 on the game and about £10 on stupid paint for ships, I genuinely have no desire to go back to this game anymore. I feel like I've already done everything.
I waste so much money :(

Soldato
Well, my cobra is pretty well kitted out now and worth about 6m and I have 1.5m in the bank. What ship should I be aiming to get next? I'm more combat orientated so maybe a vulture? How much more should I save before switching?

Soldato
£80 on a joystick, £50 on the game and about £10 on stupid paint for ships, I genuinely have no desire to go back to this game anymore. I feel like I've already done everything.
I waste so much money :(

Take a break from it and wait for more content to be added. This game is still in development. It'll probably be another year before it is anything like complete.

Soldato
I do like playing elite, but for me FDev decision making and complete lack of comms is starting to wear thin for a lot of people now.

What complete lack of comms? it's been known for months that the xbone was getting some exclusive content first.

Associate
What complete lack of comms? it's been known for months that the xbone was getting some exclusive content first.

AFAIK, and judging by the forums it was widely known ED was coming to Xbox, not that it was getting any exclusivity at all.

And i mean comms with a wide array of things, just releasing 1.3 (shocked beta testers) pulling offline mode before release, changing things in updates that arnt mentioned (the newly updated repair values that have clearly been tinkered with), just a few things etc.

I do like the game don't get me wrong, and have been playing since alpha etc, but FDev do need to up there game now, updates need to have far more content, game needs to be fleshed out and bugs need to be gone.

Soldato
Nope, the exclusive stuff was known, 1.3 release was already late, bit of an odd choice but not unsurprising, the repair values are obviously a bug that they missed so why would you expect it to be listed in the update notes?

Sorry, but people these days expect far too much for £40, they moan when no content is added, they moan when it is, they moan when it's delayed, then moan when it's released. If you want to play a bug free game I'd suggest waiting a year and assessing the situation, otherwise we all know it's work in progress and will have issues occasionally. The game as is is great, you can either play it for what it is or not. Moaning about it isn't going to do anything but make the devs walk away from it and never look back. People need to learn how to make constructive criticism and not just waaa waaa waaaa.

Associate
Nope, the exclusive stuff was known, 1.3 release was already late, bit of an odd choice but not unsurprising, the repair values are obviously a bug that they missed so why would you expect it to be listed in the update notes?

Sorry, but people these days expect far too much for £40, they moan when no content is added, they moan when it is, they moan when it's delayed, then moan when it's released. If you want to play a bug free game I'd suggest waiting a year and assessing the situation, otherwise we all know it's work in progress and will have issues occasionally. The game as is is great, you can either play it for what it is or not. Moaning about it isn't going to do anything but make the devs walk away from it and never look back. People need to learn how to make constructive criticism and not just waaa waaa waaaa.

Do you have a link the back up this known exclusivity? as it does appear it went very much under the radar etc.

1.3 was late to start the beta phase granted, but it was very rushed to release, and since then bugs that were listed (in a very constructive way) were not fixed/changed and it was just released. If you are going to do beta testing then just listen to your testers etc.

I paid more than £40 on the game btw, doesn't mean im entitled to have a greater opinion on the game than someone who spent £40, but it does mean im entitled to an opinion. The game is very good (as I have already said) it has good foundations, but it is clear to see (I think even you have to admit) it was rushed out 6 months to soon.

I don't expect a bug free game (fairly impossible to get that) what I do expect is the core modules of the game (combat, trading, mining, exploring) should be up to standard (maybe like they promised during the kickstarter phase?)

Like I said, I do enjoy it for what its worth, and im trying to get my partner to buy it too as i know she'll enjoy it etc

Soldato
I'm not wasting my time looking for a link no, it's done now anyway, I have no issues with it, move on I would suggest.

I'd rather they launched updates and fixed minor bugs after, I didn't see any game breaking ones that couldn't be avoided by players either.

No, I don't agree it was out six months too early at all, it was fine as launched if you had read anything about it before purchasing. You bought into product development, you cannot expect it to go perfectly and as for so called promises, well, if you expect everybody to be able to deliver 100% of the time then that is your prerogative, I long ago gave up any expectations and am happy to play with what we do have rather than what might have been or what was the dream of the developers.

Apologies if that comes across as harsh, but I've seen at least one very well respected developer pushed away from games purely down to the vitriol and unrealistic expectations of his so called fans and it's the last thing I want to see happen to FD, constructive criticism is great, sadly the FD forums is 90% whining about pointless crap these days which can only have a negative effect on the devs.

Soldato
I'm not really arsed about comms, I'm just a bit hacked off that there's no meaningful content still. I backed it in premium beta and was excited by the prospect of them building a really solid game on top of the framework they had built......but then they just release the bare framework :/

I've only dabbled in it since launch....I've really no interest until they sort exploration out.

Soldato
Apologies if that comes across as harsh, but I've seen at least one very well respected developer pushed away from games purely down to the vitriol and unrealistic expectations of his so called fans and it's the last thing I want to see happen to FD, constructive criticism is great, sadly the FD forums is 90% whining about pointless crap these days which can only have a negative effect on the devs.

I think Powerplay has confused/annoyed a large proportion of the userbase IMHO. Add to this the CQC launch for the XBox under some strange guise when possibly it's down to M$ paying them, you can understand why some folks are getting frustrated!

It seems Powerplay came out of nowhere and clearly used up a huge amount of time/effort which could have been invested elsewhere.

And much to many's bemusement does not move the game in the direction they expected, introducing deeper, more involved and rewarding gameplay, but actually promotes the existing grind mechanics in the game by basically giving people weekly progress charts for the same simplistic grind mechanics already in the game.

Worryingly, it seems they're possibly happy to leave the game play/mechanics just where they are, and not move them into the realms of what was promised in the kickstarter, and what I suspect is hoped for by many many players.

Last edited:
Associate
Take a break from it and wait for more content to be added. This game is still in development. It'll probably be another year before it is anything like complete.

I've already been on a break for maybe a month or 2 now, they're adding new stuff but the game has been released in a complete state, it's not a beta or anything.

I'll come back to it in about 6 months or so and see if anything's changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom