**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
UFC need to focus on quality versus quantity.......Some of the stuff/headline event they have churned out over the last few years has been dreadful.

With Conor not fighting in the UFC at all last year, it makes a joke of the "championship" belts etc. Problem is, he ain't fighting for less than $5/10 million. He's not going to get back in the ring for a couple of million that's for sure.

Associate
Does anyone watch the MMA Hour?

What do you think of Helwanis award picks for the year?

I can't find his pick's to post here but here some of mine.

1. Male fighter of the year: Max Holloway
2. Female fighter of the year: Rose Namaunus
3. Fight of the year: Justin Gaethje vs Michael Johnson
4. Round of the year: First round of Medeiros vs Oliveria
5. Knockout of the year: Francis Ngannou vs Overeem
6. Submission of the year: DJ Vs Ray Borg
7. Breakthrough fighter of the year: Robert Whittaker
8. Most improved fighter of the year: Robert Whittaker
9. Comeback of the year: reluctantly GSP
10. Upset of the year: Namaunus vs Jedrzejczyk
11. Rivalry of the year: Jones/Cormier or Dillashaw/Garbrandt, I cant choose between them lol
12. Coach of the year:
13. Event of the year: UFC 217
14. Crowd of the year:
15. Walkout of the year:
16. Promo of the year:
17. Photo of the year:
18. Impact person of the year:
19. Story of the year: Don't think anything was bigger than McGregor vs Mayweather story
20. Feel good moment of the year:

Caporegime
I do watch the MMA hour yeah but i'll skip through to the interviews i'm bothered about, I like Helwani but I don't really have any interest in listening to him blab on in between :p

Agree with a lot of the above, submission wise i'd go with either of OSP's Von Flue chokes. Rivalry wise it has to be Dillashaw and Garbrandt given Jones destroyed his rivalry with Cormier via juicing.

I can’t quite grasp the difference in power between cyborg and holm considering holm has been boxing all her life and is a former boxing champ.

Holms punches in comparison looked like girly punches, straight and a lot of arm shots.

Cyborg throws like a man, with a man thud on the end of them punches.

When they were saying rousey would beat some men in her weight class I laughed (any top 50 man would destroy her) if someone was to say cyborg would beat some men in a weight class I would actually consider it.

There's a good reason she throws like a man. More testosterone in her then most blokes.

Associate
Does anyone watch the MMA Hour?

What do you think of Helwanis award picks for the year?

I can't find his pick's to post here but here some of mine.

1. Male fighter of the year: Max Holloway
2. Female fighter of the year: Rose Namaunus
3. Fight of the year: Justin Gaethje vs Michael Johnson
4. Round of the year: First round of Medeiros vs Oliveria
5. Knockout of the year: Francis Ngannou vs Overeem
6. Submission of the year: DJ Vs Ray Borg
7. Breakthrough fighter of the year: Robert Whittaker
8. Most improved fighter of the year: Robert Whittaker
9. Comeback of the year: reluctantly GSP
10. Upset of the year: Namaunus vs Jedrzejczyk
11. Rivalry of the year: Jones/Cormier or Dillashaw/Garbrandt, I cant choose between them lol
12. Coach of the year:
13. Event of the year: UFC 217
14. Crowd of the year:
15. Walkout of the year:
16. Promo of the year:
17. Photo of the year:
18. Impact person of the year:
19. Story of the year: Don't think anything was bigger than McGregor vs Mayweather story
20. Feel good moment of the year:

I listen to the MMA hour sometimes, it's on for four hours every week so I find it hard to listen to it every week. I prefer the MMA beat tbh.

I agree with almost everyone of your picks, although it's got to be Jones/Cormier for 11 :D

I thought you were wrong about the most improved fighter at first but I can't think of anyone else it could go to. Robert Whittaker has beaten both Jacare and Yoel Romero this year :D

Caporegime
Till could be a shout for breakthrough fighter, he's suddenly on everyone's lips after the complete destruction of Cowboy. Perhaps one for next year, I think he's in for a big 2018.

Associate
Till is definitely up there but I don't think he did enough in 2017. Agreed about his 2018. They need to make Till vs Wonderboy but it's not going to happen.

Colby Covington is up there too. He's always in the MMA headlines and he did beat Damien Mia in Brazil.

Associate
I listen to the MMA hour sometimes, it's on for four hours every week so I find it hard to listen to it every week. I prefer the MMA beat tbh.

I agree with almost everyone of your picks, although it's got to be Jones/Cormier for 11 :D

I thought you were wrong about the most improved fighter at first but I can't think of anyone else it could go to. Robert Whittaker has beaten both Jacare and Yoel Romero this year :D

The Ultimate Fighter with TJ and Garbrandt made me put that in there, seeing them go at it every week showed how much they hated each other that made me amped for that fight just as much as Cormier/Jones lol.

Till could be a shout for breakthrough fighter, he's suddenly on everyone's lips after the complete destruction of Cowboy. Perhaps one for next year, I think he's in for a big 2018.

Till is definitely up there but I don't think he did enough in 2017. Agreed about his 2018. They need to make Till vs Wonderboy but it's not going to happen.

Colby Covington is up there too. He's always in the MMA headlines and he did beat Damien Mia in Brazil.

I put Till at first tbh but he's only had 2 fights and 1 wasn't great so I changed my mind, 2018 is a big year for him though as you say.

Thinking about it Oezdemir is a close second he came from nowhere beat OSP and Manuna and got a title shot.

Associate
Some good fights coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Fight Night: Stephens vs Chio this weekend.

Jeremy Stephens vs. Doo Ho Choi
Uriah Hall vs. Vitor Belfort
Paige VanZant vs. Jessica-Rose Clark
Kamaru Usman vs. Emil Weber Meek

The "Heavyweight" tournament starts next week on Bellator 192.

Douglas Lima vs. Rory MacDonald
Quinton Jackson vs. Chael Sonnen
Michael Chandler vs. Goiti Yamauchi
Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Henry Corrales
Aaron Pico vs. Shane Kruchten

and the big one, UFC 220 with Miocic Ngannou!!!!

Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou
Daniel Cormier vs. Volkan Oezdemir
Calvin Kattar vs. Shane Burgos
Gian Villante vs. Francimar Barroso
Thomas Almeida vs. Rob Font

Looking forward to them all

Caporegime
Hall Vs Belfort is off which makes tonights card considerably less appealing :(. lol @ the thought of PvZ being co main .....

Next weeks should be a belter though, it's a cracking card.

In other news Whittaker is out of the title fight with Rockhold in Australia, appears Romero will be fighting Rockhold for the interim title instead. That sucks.

Soldato
Hall Vs Belfort is off which makes tonights card considerably less appealing :(. lol @ the thought of PvZ being co main .....

Next weeks should be a belter though, it's a cracking card.

In other news Whittaker is out of the title fight with Rockhold in Australia, appears Romero will be fighting Rockhold for the interim title instead. That sucks.

Yeah gutted for Whittaker but Romero vs Rockhold should be a decent scrap - although I'm not sure why it's for an interim title? Wasn't Whittaker given the undisputed title when GSP vacated? - Anyone know how long is Whittaker out for? (or even what the problem is??)

Caporegime
Yeah gutted for Whittaker but Romero vs Rockhold should be a decent scrap - although I'm not sure why it's for an interim title? Wasn't Whittaker given the undisputed title when GSP vacated? - Anyone know how long is Whittaker out for? (or even what the problem is??)

He's the proper champ now yeah. It sounds like a medical issue but no news talking specifically about an injury so unsure. His own Instagram says:

I would like to apologize to all my supporters and fans of MMA for not being able to put on the show you deserve. I've been ruled medically unable to compete and wont be able to defend on home soil. This card meant so much to me and I'm devastated for not being able to fight. All I can do is focus on getting healthy to come back better than ever. All the best to Yoel and Luke for their fight and ill be waiting...

I would guess they're making it an interim title fight because;

A) Rockhold whinged and cried about it so they gave him the interim shot to keep the main event
B) Whittaker is going to be out for a while

I'm moving more towards A.

Soldato
Quite frankly if it's not B then they shouldn't even be considering an interim belt - it makes a mockery of the division to have 2 active champs!

But then again that's never stopped the UFC before now has it!

Associate
Whittaker must be out for a while then.

Doesn't make much sense for a interim belt to be on the line but I agree about what you said about Rockhold, I can see him being a little bitch about it and demanding he gets a belt if he wins.

All his interviews he makes out he's hard done by, he's gotta be the most boring guy out there. Imagine Rockhold and Macdonald fought, the pressers would be excruciating lol

Associate
Sunday's card doesn't look as good now Vitor vs Hall isn't happening.

220 main and co-main are going to be great but the others on the main card I'm not too sure about. The Bellator card looks a lot better to me.

I'm guessing Whittaker's knee injury hasn't healed properly and he'll be out for a while.

Back
Top Bottom