***The Official Guitar Thread***

Caporegime
Probably going to get abused for my method but need some advise and don't have a clue about guitars.

I bought Rock Smith years back on Steam for a few quid, with the intention on buying a cheap guitar to learn on.

That time has (supposedly) come after seeing an old friend who has got infinitely better at guitar since I last saw him play. The reviews seem to be quite positive for people who want a different way to learn the basics. My attention span is shot, I like video games, want to learn to play so my thinking is this would be a good way for me.

The required cable is about £20 and I would like to buy a cheap/simple acoustic guitar (would £100 be enough?). Any recommendations please?

Caporegime
Probably going to get abused for my method but need some advise and don't have a clue about guitars.

I bought Rock Smith years back on Steam for a few quid, with the intention on buying a cheap guitar to learn on.

That time has (supposedly) come after seeing an old friend who has got infinitely better at guitar since I last saw him play. The reviews seem to be quite positive for people who want a different way to learn the basics. My attention span is shot, I like video games, want to learn to play so my thinking is this would be a good way for me.

The required cable is about £20 and I would like to buy a cheap/simple acoustic guitar (would £100 be enough?). Any recommendations please?

Don’t buy an acoustic for Rock Smith, you need an electric, something like a Yamaha entry level is fine.

Caporegime
Lol of course - you can't plug it in right :p:o. I did say I know nothing about guitars.

Will look them, thanks Raymond.

BTW, I bought RockSmith too but its on Xbox 360 for the same reason you did, I need to rebuy it again on my current gen I think, not cheap ! The best thing about this is the exercises they have, basically the game makes the practice like a game, which are in effect real guitar scales, repeat again and again to memories it and it does it in like a high score game.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I love that Eko. My friend's dad had one growing up and it always sounded great, but if it's from the 60s then I can imagine it being a little compromised unless it's been really really looked after. It also won't benefit from modern improvements in building methods etc.

I think that if you feel that you've outgrown the guitar, maybe the tone really isn't to your liking, just get a new guitar. It's well worth going and playing a few - in the style that you play normally, don't attempt to show off - and just finding what you're comfortable with.

My most recent experience of buying an acoustic was going into Denmark Street in London and trying some out. Most importantly, I found one that felt really comfortable in my hands and had a lovely tone. I admittedly only looked at those in my price range. But I ended up with a guitar that I adore.

What you'll find, as well, if you're worried about investment is that a new guitar will almost certainly generate a huge amount of excitement for you and make you want to play it. I think that's the essence of buying a guitar personally - do you want to play it?

Thanks man.

It's in quite good nick actually. Had it sorted out by a local guy who it turns out looks after Simon Neils destroyed guitars and he seemed happy with it. It was my dads who barely played it, but it's the only tangible thing he left behind. So I'll never get rid of it, but would like to do it justice and it not be an ornament. In fact it lives in a hard case anyway, I want to keep it nice even if it is just a cheapo old guitar, still probably better than a modern cheapo guitar I suppose.

The tone isn't quite there for me, it was strung quite heavy but I put lighter strings on and that helped a little. I'm still learning only been at it a few months but I have a natural take to it apparently and moving fast so looking to that next step with something that fits me physically and tonally. Will likely look in the new year.

Do guitars have seasonal updates like bike in the cycling world where new models come in so you can expect to pick up some better deals?

Soldato
Are basses welcome here?
I don't see why not.

My first guitar was a squire jazz bass. My other bass is an old westone thunder 2 with a jazz bass bridge pickup addition and no fret's.

Bass guitar was my first love for music. Lots of metal, followed by jazz and funk and electronica stuff.

Played from age 19 to 30. Couple of bands here and there. Just didn't have the time to stay good at it. In my early 20s I was able to play for 5 or 6 hours a day which was awesome. I got really good. Then work took over.... these days I cannot play any of the things I used to be able to :(
It's difficult to enjoy bass as a solo instrument. I much prefered accompaniment.

Soldato
Right place I hope....

Got to that age (40) where I don't need anything really for birthdays etc but always fancied learning guitar. Played piano and cello way back in my teens so can still read a basic bit of music etc.

Saw this on hotdeals - seems good value and reasonable reviews - anything better for £100 mark??

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6519856

Thoughts?

Soldato

That's ok for a starter acoustic - at that sort of price they are much of a muchness. The Squier Fender acoustics are good value for money, like this one: https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq...uZmCQUlO96gFjj4LHt5gURftSwwHFo3QaAoI3EALw_wcB

Even some of the cheaper (unknown) brands often offer much better value for money at the low end.

All the best with it :)

Thanks gents......OTher than "beginners books" - any recommended or decent online/app stuff?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I think the Yamaha guitars for ~£100 are the most recommended.

Depends how you want to learn. Therory/scales etc etc, or just pick up a few chords and learn something to play and go from there. YouTube for easy beginner acoustic songs is a pretty good start and also look out for videos on general guitar playing such as proper strumming (more from the elbow than the wrist) and how to hold your left arm free as these little things can make life much easier for you and stop you picking up bad habits.

Best way is for one-on-one instruction but no reason you can't start yourself off.

Soldato
I think the Yamaha guitars for ~£100 are the most recommended.

Depends how you want to learn. Therory/scales etc etc, or just pick up a few chords and learn something to play and go from there. YouTube for easy beginner acoustic songs is a pretty good start and also look out for videos on general guitar playing such as proper strumming (more from the elbow than the wrist) and how to hold your left arm free as these little things can make life much easier for you and stop you picking up bad habits.

Best way is for one-on-one instruction but no reason you can't start yourself off.

cheers - will let you know how I go on.

Soldato
No

:)

Of course

Hah definitely a rhetorical question! But good anyway.

Do guitars have seasonal updates like bike in the cycling world where new models come in so you can expect to pick up some better deals?

I'm not sure that they do. You'll see the same stuff on sale for years. I suggest you post whatever you're looking at here and we can all just give our opinions.

Soldato
Anyone got any tips on cleaning an acoustic guitar fretboard, basically not sure what to use to clean it, would rather not have to buy a special guitar cleaner if I can use something from the household cleaning cupboard?

I'm going to assume the fretboard is open grain wood, as opposed the lacquered maple you see on some guitars.

This is what I do for rosewood and ebony fretboards, depending on how much gunk is on them. If finger gack can be scraped off then I use an old bank card to scrape between the frets and along the join of the fret and the wood. For some reason it's only other peoples guitars that end up needing that ....

Next I use a small bowl with warm water and a couple of drops of washing up soap in it and a nail scrubbing brush. Swoosh the water/soap until mixed then dip the bristles into the soapy water, shake off any excess, then scrub the fretboard following the line of the steel frets. If it's grubby the suds will go brown or grey, bleargh. Wipe off the neck with a towel or cloth or whatever - you don't need to rinse with clean water. Repeat until suds stay clear. Dry neck with cloth and make sure there's no moisture along the frets; kitchen roll is good for this.
I usually leave it to sit dry for a half hour or so then apply a few drops of boiled linseed oil* to the fretboard. Rub this into the wood then wipe of any excess straight away. You don't need to soak the fretboard. A little goes a long way. You'll see the grain of the wood shine out.

That's what I do. Dave's World of Fun Stuff on youtube used something called 'simple green' to clean his guitars, you can get it from most automotive places, halfords etc. He does the same thing as me with the method, just that simple green is easier to use in a spray bottle. It's biodegradable and doesn't contain any harsh chemicals...

But fairy liquid has served me well over the years. Boiled linseed oil came from b&q.
I clean my guitars like this perhaps once or twice a year, certainly no more than that.

* dispose of any rags or paper used to apply or remove the linseed oil in such a manner as to avoid combustion. Linseed oil dries via exothermic reaction (or something) so make sure you wet any paper and ensure any rags are set apart (ie outside) when you throw them out. Don't chuck 'em in your kitchen bin, just to be on the safe side.

Soldato
I'm going to assume the fretboard is open grain wood, as opposed the lacquered maple you see on some guitars.

This is what I do for rosewood and ebony fretboards, depending on how much gunk is on them. If finger gack can be scraped off then I use an old bank card to scrape between the frets and along the join of the fret and the wood. For some reason it's only other peoples guitars that end up needing that ....

Next I use a small bowl with warm water and a couple of drops of washing up soap in it and a nail scrubbing brush. Swoosh the water/soap until mixed then dip the bristles into the soapy water, shake off any excess, then scrub the fretboard following the line of the steel frets. If it's grubby the suds will go brown or grey, bleargh. Wipe off the neck with a towel or cloth or whatever - you don't need to rinse with clean water. Repeat until suds stay clear. Dry neck with cloth and make sure there's no moisture along the frets; kitchen roll is good for this.
I usually leave it to sit dry for a half hour or so then apply a few drops of boiled linseed oil* to the fretboard. Rub this into the wood then wipe of any excess straight away. You don't need to soak the fretboard. A little goes a long way. You'll see the grain of the wood shine out.

That's what I do. Dave's World of Fun Stuff on youtube used something called 'simple green' to clean his guitars, you can get it from most automotive places, halfords etc. He does the same thing as me with the method, just that simple green is easier to use in a spray bottle. It's biodegradable and doesn't contain any harsh chemicals...

But fairy liquid has served me well over the years. Boiled linseed oil came from b&q.
I clean my guitars like this perhaps once or twice a year, certainly no more than that.

* dispose of any rags or paper used to apply or remove the linseed oil in such a manner as to avoid combustion. Linseed oil dries via exothermic reaction (or something) so make sure you wet any paper and ensure any rags are set apart (ie outside) when you throw them out. Don't chuck 'em in your kitchen bin, just to be on the safe side.

Thank's, I did it at the weekend, I used an old white t-shirt rag rapped around a pic and used good old spit to get any grime off the frets, I then went over it with lemon oil and its come up really nice.

Soldato
Thank's, I did it at the weekend, I used an old white t-shirt rag rapped around a pic and used good old spit to get any grime off the frets, I then went over it with lemon oil and its come up really nice.

Wow! Did it make much difference? I always use something like this to clean my fretboard. It has a little brush thing on the top that rubs on the fretboard. Having said that, I've never let my gear get that dirty as I have to make up for my lack of skill by knowing about gear hah!

Back into the bass world, I'm buying a Spectracomp compressor pedal this weekend. They seem to be pretty good from the reviews and videos I've watch. Hopefully I'll be able to have a play with one in Andertons on Saturday to make sure I like it.

You can basically program the pedal with a huge range of settings, and they're multiband so you're not applying the compression to the entire sound, which I think is appealing. This is my first compressor so I'm not 100% sure though. Definitely worth checking out the video below anyway. Note the tone knob is apparently a little useless, but once you're dialed in then you shouldn't really be changing knobs on your pedalboard whilst on stage anyway.

I also found a Badass II bridge on the Talkbass forums, which hopefully the guy will ship to the UK, so we'll see! I've been looking for a decently priced one for years.

Back
Top Bottom