***The Official Guitar Thread***

Man of Honour
I sold a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Yamaha SG2000 1970s original to finance a second James Tyler JTV-59.
At the time I thought I was doing the right thing.

The guitar in the middle is a 1979 American Fender Stratocaster and one of the best guitars you will play, in fact one of our local guitar legends used it on Saturday and offered me £1000.
However in 1984 Floyd Rose tremelo's were all the rage so I bought a poor copy and murdered my Strat which then had this piece of rusted crap on it until around 2007 and it became unplayable.
I have a mate who is a Luthier and he he put it back to how it was but also put £150 worth of proper Strat pickups on it because I'd changed two of them.
Excalibur looks road worn but it plays and sounds mint

variax 2b.jpg

Soldato
In about '95 I spent £300 on a lightly gigged Takamine which I disliked from the moment I set eyes on it. But I didn't have the testicular fortitude to tell the nice bloke to his face that I didn't like his guitar. I've still got it and it's still my most expensive guitar. I still hate it.

I think it's probably time I allowed myself to move on.

While I'm thinking about that guitar, I saw another one just like it for the first time recently. She plays it a bit better than I do, and looks far cooler doing it. Maybe I need a purple shirt.

https://youtu.be/iPwYJqwUi5w?t=57

Soldato
Just realised I haven't put my latest guitar in here -
I never graduated from a beginner's Yamaha Pacifica... I just don't 'get' electric guitars for some reason; no soul... in my hands anyway :) I should probably make an effort now I've finally developed enough skill to fool people into thinking I can play properly, but.... there are so many gorgeous and varied acoustics out there, and I've always been drawn to the mellow tone of nylon strings.

Having said that, I recently met a bloke with a really mellow sounding steel string acoustic. It was love at first listen. Then I found out why... hand made!

Oh well, a man can dream. :)

Soldato
I sometimes work with a guitarist on jazz gigs. He's got a really beaten up strat, a rare one I believe from around the 1950s or 60s. He said it's value now is about £50,000. Crazy thing is, he doesn't have it insured. He's dead confident it will never get stolen.

Man of Honour
I sometimes work with a guitarist on jazz gigs. He's got a really beaten up strat, a rare one I believe from around the 1950s or 60s. He said it's value now is about £50,000. Crazy thing is, he doesn't have it insured. He's dead confident it will never get stolen.

I've just recently insured all of mine plus my cycles.
I do have one major rule and had it since I could drive in 1975, no gear ever gets left in the car even for 1 minute.
When I get to the pub I'll ring one of the band members up just so they can keep an eye on it while I run in & out with my gear.
I've had dozens of mates over the years who have had their gear nicked out of their cars.

Soldato
I've just recently insured all of mine plus my cycles.
I do have one major rule and had it since I could drive in 1975, no gear ever gets left in the car even for 1 minute.
When I get to the pub I'll ring one of the band members up just so they can keep an eye on it while I run in & out with my gear.
I've had dozens of mates over the years who have had their gear nicked out of their cars.

Absolutely! Same here. In the mid 1980s I left a drumkit in my Ford Capri outside my then girlfriend's house and the kit was gone the next day apart from a cowbell. Police retrieved some of it but it wasn't my kit and I had to pay a few hundred to the guy who lent me it. Never left my kit in my car again, always load, unload, load, unload.

Man of Honour
I still laugh at one my Uncle Mick did in 1960.
I was 2, my Mum & Dad had just moved to a new house which cost £200 and my Dad & Mick went up to Hanley and bought a Fender Stratocaster each for £120 each (that's right - house cost £200 and the Fender cost £120).
Anyway Uncle Mick got back to our house and decided the action wasn't right so took the neck off and chiseled into the body and planed the neck, 10 minutes later and he had completely ruined both neck & body beyond repair.
He went back up to Hanley and bought another one (he was loaded).

Permabanned
>>>>>Thought I'd add to this rather than create a new thread... What's the stupidest thing you've done to one of your guitars?<<<<<

Selling my 64 SG Special

Putting a bigsby on my single pickup Gordon Smith, oh dear, didn't look right and it never stayed in tune.

Soldato
Thought I'd add to this rather than create a new thread... What's the stupidest thing you've done to one of your guitars?

I would like to offer up: gluing the saddle on my nylon string electro-acoustic (only a Merida, nothing fancy). I changed its strings a few weeks ago and was a bit cheesed off when the saddle and nut both dropped off. Decided it was just shoddy factory workmanship and reached for the gorilla glue.

I don't use the guitar plugged in very often, but a little reverb on a Zoom box and Blackstar Fly 3 makes me sound vaguely competent when I'm in the mood. So it took me a while to notice that the weird problem I was having with the onboard tuner (not working on several strings) was a sign that bits that used to vibrate were no longer vibrating quite so well. Doh!

It's taken me several destringing/restringing sessions to get the saddle off, remove any obvious glue from the piezowossit underneath, and get it working properly again. In the end it was a calculated thump* on the bridge when fully strung which got the final string working properly, so I'm not confident I've really 'fixed' it, but... But for now it works again. In future I will try to think a little harder before reaching for the glue.

*Ok, a frustrated thwack!

How did you fix it? I have a 12 string that I want to sell with a raised bridge, which I intend to fix before selling. My instinct, like yours, is just to glue it down.

Soldato
I didn't. I just returned it to it's previous state, so if you remove all the strings the saddle drops out. I'd take advice from someone who knows what they're doing if I were you! :)

Fair enough! I have read a little about it, and I think all you need to do is remove the bridge and the old glue, sand down the contact surface, glue it again, and clamp it down.

The problem long term with this guitar specifically is that it doesn't like having strings on it...I would guess that this problem will repeat itself in the future. Having said that, I do only plan to sell it once it's repaired so maybe I should just do my best and not worry too much.

Soldato
What gauge do you use?
My Yamaha has always had 10s on and sounds superb.
Two weeks ago I had to put 3 sets of 13s on 3 acoustics for a band and after a minute it was as though my fingers had only just started learning again.

On this guitar, I have no idea. I haven't changed the strings on it for at least 5 years, so who knows. I normally have 9s on my guitars, though.

Oh god, why did you have to use 13s?? Going for the SRV vibe?

Associate
Hi guys, could someone help spec me an amp?
I currently play with a line 6 pod device that plugs into the computer, and i connect headphones. It worked well for ages, but its no longer supported, tones are limited.

Thought i'd dip into using an actual amp, i'd like something that can do the following 3 things: connect headphones, connect device to play along to songs, be able to download and use other peoples tones.
It looks like the fender mustang v2 ticks all those boxes and can be had for £99. The fender fuse software looks nice and a quick search shows lots of tones for most songs i'd play.
https://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-mustang-i-v-2-combo-amplifier
Thought i'd ask here as there maybe something better!

Man of Honour
H
It looks like the fender mustang v2 ticks all those boxes and can be had for £99. The fender fuse software looks nice and a quick search shows lots of tones for most songs i'd play.
https://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-mustang-i-v-2-combo-amplifier
Thought i'd ask here as there maybe something better!

Looks like you've already done your homework, there is a similar Line 6 amp but for £99 you can't go wrong.
There's also the Blackstar series that's worth having a look at.
We've just added a new guitarist to one of my bands that uses a Fender Twin Reverb but he plugged into a Blackstar ID I've got spare and was blown away and weighs about 1/10th the weight.

Soldato
Further to the bridge discussion, here's my 12 string that needs repair. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was...bought when I was in the full throes of Johnny Cash.

CXpHbhI.jpg

This is my bass rig now. I bought the amp (Peavey Headliner 1000 W) and the cabs (Fender Rumble 2x10) recently. The bass is the P Bass that I've had for probably 10 years now, somewhat modded and as lovely as ever.

MUE8CPC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom