***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
I got my mitts on one of those amps a couple of weeks back. Did it come from andertons by any chance? Added a 1x15" and a 2x10" cabinets to go with it. I have yet to turn it up proper loud... Only thing I've done to the amp is put it into a flight case rack; keeps everything safe and secure. Plan is for some performances with the band at some point, so some kit was required :p

Soldato
I got my mitts on one of those amps a couple of weeks back. Did it come from andertons by any chance? Added a 1x15" and a 2x10" cabinets to go with it. I have yet to turn it up proper loud... Only thing I've done to the amp is put it into a flight case rack; keeps everything safe and secure. Plan is for some performances with the band at some point, so some kit was required :p

It did indeed! It was on sale (£300 instead of £500) so I bought one. Good for you too!

I might get a flight case but it's yet to travel - which one did you use?. Will do next week though. Haven't turned it up past about 2 yet, so I'm looking forward to band practice.

How are you finding the amp? I think the crunch tone on it sounds good.

Soldato
:D

I ended up with a gator 2u short case, one of these https://www.gear4music.com/Recordin...MI6KyG0J6c3AIVT7vtCh2Lmw0cEAQYASABEgKNiPD_BwE
Given the depth of the head, there's room enough for the various speaker cables and power lead at the rear of the amp case. Case is plenty sturdy, with a gasket round the openings to keep dust and water out etc.
I like the amp so far, not had much chance to give it the beans yet. Fired it up with the cabs to make sure everything works and that's about it. Compressor ain't too bad, but I'll probably just use my compressor pedal for that. With any luck I can take it to one of our rehearsal places and plug it in there and give it some.
Itching to turn it up loud... might get a chance at the weekend ;)

Soldato
:D

I ended up with a gator 2u short case, one of these https://www.gear4music.com/Recordin...MI6KyG0J6c3AIVT7vtCh2Lmw0cEAQYASABEgKNiPD_BwE
Given the depth of the head, there's room enough for the various speaker cables and power lead at the rear of the amp case. Case is plenty sturdy, with a gasket round the openings to keep dust and water out etc.
I like the amp so far, not had much chance to give it the beans yet. Fired it up with the cabs to make sure everything works and that's about it. Compressor ain't too bad, but I'll probably just use my compressor pedal for that. With any luck I can take it to one of our rehearsal places and plug it in there and give it some.
Itching to turn it up loud... might get a chance at the weekend ;)

Sorry, I meant to reply to you and completely forgot. Thanks for the info on the enclosure. I'll look at getting one when I've got some cash spare.

I finally got my amp and cabs to practice last night, and they sound fantastic. The crunch button on the amp does what I've been looking for for ages - a beautiful low level fuzz, so I'm over the moon with that. I'll be getting a channel switch for the amp so that I can put this onto my pedal board.

I was also on about 3-4 on the volume level, which was great, and we have everything louder than I think it should be just to be heard above our over-enthusiastic drummer.

I use my own compressor pedal, btw. It's a TC Electronics one, which I love. There's no way that I'll ever use the compressor on the amp.

Man were the amp and the rumble cab a pain to move. They aren't particularly heavy, they're just big and awkward! I think I'll make myself a little trolley soon.

So, how did you find it?

Soldato
hehe, no worries. There's various brands of the enclosures; gator came well recommended, but I should think some of the others are pretty much the same. I believe g4m have their own branded versions. Andertons sell a Stagg version as well. There's also as 'soft case' I was considering. Basically a padded bag with internal plywood panels. Figured on the hard case in the end.

Well, I tried the amp on 2 master volume and 2 on the gain in my house. Not really enough to move the speakers much, but then I did crank it about half way and then tapped the fretboard... I'm certain my neighbours would have felt the wave of sound that came out of the thing lol.
So far with a bit of low noise level practicing I like it. Will be a couple of weeks before I can give it a proper go in a rehearsal room with the rest of the band.

On the whole I like it so far, tones sound good to me and the amp itself doesn't have too many bells and whistles; I like the relative simplicity.
I'm on the lookout for a cheap sack barrow trolley thing for the cabs for when we get somewhere to perform :D

Soldato
hehe, no worries. There's various brands of the enclosures; gator came well recommended, but I should think some of the others are pretty much the same. I believe g4m have their own branded versions. Andertons sell a Stagg version as well. There's also as 'soft case' I was considering. Basically a padded bag with internal plywood panels. Figured on the hard case in the end.

What exactly do you look for to find these bags or enclosures? Never looked at them before so I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking a bag would be nice just to make everything easier to carry.

Well, I tried the amp on 2 master volume and 2 on the gain in my house. Not really enough to move the speakers much, but then I did crank it about half way and then tapped the fretboard... I'm certain my neighbours would have felt the wave of sound that came out of the thing lol.
So far with a bit of low noise level practicing I like it. Will be a couple of weeks before I can give it a proper go in a rehearsal room with the rest of the band.

On the whole I like it so far, tones sound good to me and the amp itself doesn't have too many bells and whistles; I like the relative simplicity.
I'm on the lookout for a cheap sack barrow trolley thing for the cabs for when we get somewhere to perform :D

Hahahah yeah I don't get past 2 at home. Try turning up the gain on the amp, makes a big difference actually.

Soldato
What exactly do you look for to find these bags or enclosures? Never looked at them before so I'm a bit confused. I'm thinking a bag would be nice just to make everything easier to carry.

I used a general search term of "rack mount flight case 2u"

2u is the height of the front of the amp. Flight cases come in various different heights - 2u, 3u, 6u etc.

Given the depth of the amp from the front bezel to the back plate (around 12-14" iirc) a rack with a depth of 19" is waaaaay too big. It leaves about 5"+ at the front and rear of the amp when the end covers are on, which is great for storage, but overkill imo. (I know, I ordered one by mistake and had to send it back. Lovely case, just far too big).
I went with a 'short' case that is 14.25" from the front to the back. Gator GR-2S Moulded Rack Case, 2U, 14.25'' Depth. There's enough room at the back of the amp to store x1 power lead, x1 speakon cabinet lead 2m, x2 1/4" cabinet jack leads 1.5m, without any rattling about or forcing the case closed.
Just about all the ABS racks have x2 carry handles riveted through the side of the box as part of the internal structure and mounting rails. Mine came with hardware to attach the amp to the rails.

The soft cases rely on zips to close off the front and rear of the amp. I didn't like the idea of that. On the plus side they have shoulder straps and stuff like that. But I reckoned the hard-shell case would be better to protect my amp from the elements

I'll try and post some pictures of mine later for you when I'm back home from work.

EDIT: ah, yes... the 'gain' dial. Should be renamed to the thermo-nuclear-boost-o-matic-let-everyone-in-the-street-hear-it knob :p

Last edited:
Soldato
@ dirtychinchilla

cabs and amp head+case:

https://imgur.com/J4HqFAO

https://imgur.com/UpYruWz

https://imgur.com/TaJvXfZ

https://imgur.com/kiTMLfK

Give you an idea as to what the case looks like and how much room there is at the front and back in a 2U 'short' case.

Cheers for the photos, jumpy. Much appreciate! Looks great, if a little hefty. I'm going to buy a similar case, though a bag might be easier for me as then I can carry amp and cabs at the same time, and get myself a trolley for the cabs.

Have you had any more change to play with them all yet?

Soldato
I believe the case on its own is under 5kg. The soft cases I looked at all had zip compartments with loops and velcro for cable storage. Might be something worth looking at.
The cabs will definitely require some kind of trolly if I have to move them any distance on my own lol
Been busy these last several days, but I'm going to have an hour or two for some practice when I get home later.... sorry neighbours :D

Associate
Have any of you heard of Mary Spender?

Not only is she a great singer/songwriter/guitarist, she has a brilliant YouTube channel where she interviews various guitar players (famous and not so famous), reviews/plays with various guitars, pedals and amps.

Worth a watch if you are interested in anything guitar related - even if your not actually!

In her latest video, she was interviewing Rob Chapman:

Soldato
Ooo I didn't realise this thread existed... will stick some pics of my gear up when I get a chance but I've got 4 guitars... one classical acoustic, a Fender 2017 Professional Strat, an '89 Korean Epiphone LP and a Jackson DKSMG which covers just about every style and genre you can imagine :p Play through a Laney Lionheart L20H and have a fairly decent pedalboard too with quite a few pedals I built myself :) My Wife plays bass so I also mess around with that occasionally, she has an OLP Stingray and (surprisingly good) Behringer amp

Associate
Have any of you heard of Mary Spender?

Not only is she a great singer/songwriter/guitarist, she has a brilliant YouTube channel where she interviews various guitar players (famous and not so famous), reviews/plays with various guitars, pedals and amps.

Worth a watch if you are interested in anything guitar related - even if your not actually!

In her latest video, she was interviewing Rob Chapman:

I've only heard of Mary Spender due to Leo Morrachioli and his metal covers youtube channel, but I've liked the few things I've seen with her.

Back
Top Bottom