***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
Thats a really nice thing to do for your mum and her dementia group something I'd not really thought of but will definitely remember for if/when my parents get to that stage.
Music does reach parts of the brain that most other things don't, eventually, so it can be something to cling to as the family journey turns into a spectacularly depressing car crash. I'm very lucky though in that Mum has a small but detached bungalow, so after three decades in shared houses and a flat where I hardly dared play at all (the soundproofing was non-existent) I've been free to learn how to play more confidently and sing a lot better (than not at all!) without getting arrested.

As long as Mum's foot keeps tapping, I know I can't be doing too much wrong. But she did once throw half a mug of tea at me while I was getting a bit carried away though. You don't see that kind of criticism on X-factor... though I guess a few of our performing forumites may have had something similar, late on a Friday night.

My guitar has definitely kept me sane though, and in the three years since I became a full time carer it's allowed me to feel I'm getting something positive out of this miserable experience. And while I used to dread going to the dementia group, and would never have dreamed of playing to friends again (bad experience from 30 years ago! :)) let alone strangers, it's been genuinely rewarding to find that I can amuse a few folk and keep more than one foot tapping from time to time.

Not sure when the group will get going again, but I know I'd like to carry on doing things like that after Mum's freed from her dementia prison. Because while music can be a great hobby, it really comes alive when you're able to share it... especially if the groups you're sharing it with are exhausted and desperate for distraction! Not sure I'd survive two minutes at a pub open mike, so it's a case of choosing your audience carefully.

Right, someone post a pic of their guitar collection, quick, and get us back on track. :->

Man of Honour
God knows why any of you are debting with Easyrider, he's exactly the same in any thread he goes into - his view is the only view.
He's the most experienced musician on here, he's been playing in bands for decades and been teaching for decades so give him some respect.

Caporegime
God knows why any of you are debting with Easyrider, he's exactly the same in any thread he goes into - his view is the only view.
He's the most experienced musician on here, he's been playing in bands for decades and been teaching for decades so give him some respect.

I wrote a reply in the lines of "You must learn with an instrument you hate and your love of music must overcome all those blood and tears. If not, you don't deserve that guitar, even if it's £10." And then some more.

Then I when I got to "I worked hard for my money, I bought it all with my own money." If I want to go on holiday or buy a guitar. Not really for anyone else to judge is it? I mean it's not like I was given a Koa K65CE 12 string Taylor acoustic to practice on like Taylor Swift, look how that turned out? :D

Man of Honour
I wrote a reply in the lines of "You must learn with an instrument you hate and your love of music must overcome all those blood and tears. If not, you don't deserve that guitar, even if it's £10." And then some more.

Then I when I got to "I worked hard for my money, I bought it all with my own money." If I want to go on holiday or buy a guitar. Not really for anyone else to judge is it? I mean it's not like I was given a Koa K65CE 12 string Taylor acoustic to practice on like Taylor Swift, look how that turned out? :D

You'll find he's always right, I don't bother with him.
He does hand out good advice here & there though.

Soldato
It’s always good to have a bit of backwards and forwards and be challenged on your ideas! He has successfully got me looking at ways to spend money upgrading my old strat rather than buying something else. I’m now convinced if I put a black pick guard on it I will suddenly go from looking at it and thinking meh to wanting to caress it every time I walk past it. While I have the pick guard off I might as well completely rewire it and change the pickups for something better, then there is the bridge and the machine heads.... seems like I’m going to spend more time fiddling than playing d’oh.

On a more positive note I finally turned a jumble of verses I’ve been playing for two weeks into a semi coherent song. Now if only I was good at middle 8’s!

Caporegime
Hmm, I wonder how much Raymond would give me for my 78 American Strat that has got loads of war wounds, I have been offered £1700.
I wish I'd taken it now.

Not a lot, I don't like the giant headstock from the 70's Fenders :p

How you finding the Roadworn @Raymond Lin ?

Good, but I am not in love with it yet, something about the shape that is very comfortable but also weird. Strange not having anything digging into my armpit for once. It took me a while to like the Telecaster so I am not worried.

I bought an Ashtray for it today, just because.

LuDtZOw.jpg

Soldato
First Strat, I never even played one before either.

Cool, you'll get used to the shape. I actually haven't played a tele for extended periods before.

When I first got my LP I thought I'd find it to be a problem with the shape. It's definitely a more chunky beast and way less stream lined or contoured than a strat. But you do just get used to it the more you play. Swapping between them becomes a non issue.

Associate
The current line up (minus the Yamaha SA2200, I need a multi stand!)

L-R 2006 Fender Telecaster, Yamaha Pacifica 904, Bernie Marsden PRS SE, 2003 Fender Stratocaster and an early JJ Jewel. My current favourite is the Stratocaster, it rings and sings and plays and feels just right.

YdE5SK2.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
The guitar itself (make and model) isn't worth that, it's just happened to been played by Cobain at an iconic set. I remember that set too, and weirdly I remember that cardigan too.

It would make a cool dinner party piece but the guitar belongs more in a museum than disappear into someone's home.

Soldato
The guitar itself (make and model) isn't worth that, it's just happened to been played by Cobain at an iconic set. I remember that set too, and weirdly I remember that cardigan too.

It would make a cool dinner party piece but the guitar belongs more in a museum than disappear into someone's home.
The new owner says it is going on a world tour which is great as like you say such a iconic guitar doesn’t belong in a private collection. I can’t believe his daughter lost it in a divorce case!

Back
Top Bottom