***The Official Guitar Thread***

Caporegime
Cool, you'll get used to the shape. I actually haven't played a tele for extended periods before.

When I first got my LP I thought I'd find it to be a problem with the shape. It's definitely a more chunky beast and way less stream lined or contoured than a strat. But you do just get used to it the more you play. Swapping between them becomes a non issue.

I have been playing the Strat more in the past few days and getting to know it better and liking it more. There are still a few tweaks I want to make but more to do with string tension and action (half a mm lower would be ideal, but it's perfectly playable). It’s still not as low as I like it but first I will put some 9’s on it, it might do the trick, I didn’t think when I string it up about the scale length and notice it is just harder work for the left hand with 10’s compare to my other guitars. I think the Telecaster is on 9’s as it feels more slinky (I honestly don’t remember or know because I took it to a tech in Birmingham to set it up a few years go). Another thing, the smell…that nitro finish is strong! Does it ever go away? It’s not like the guitar is freshly out of the factory but I get a whiff of it every time I pick it up.

Soldato
Another thing, the smell…that nitro finish is strong! Does it ever go away? It’s not like the guitar is freshly out of the factory but I get a whiff of it every time I pick it up.
It's actually the smell of the glues used in the case :D like chocolate vanilla sweetness right? IIRC there's a company in Canada called TKL who OEM cases for Fender and Gibson. That smell will hang around for a good few years :)

Caporegime
It's actually the smell of the glues used in the case :D like chocolate vanilla sweetness right? IIRC there's a company in Canada called TKL who OEM cases for Fender and Gibson. That smell will hang around for a good few years :)

The guitar originally comes with a gig bag, plus the guitar is made in 2008 so it's definitely not that.

Soldato
The guitar originally comes with a gig bag, plus the guitar is made in 2008 so it's definitely not that.
That's interesting, I was just reading and the internet (well, forums) seem divided. I've seen plenty of nitro guitars without "the smell" and I don't think I've ever seen it on a guitar without a hardcase.

It is remarkably distinctive and appetising though. Addictive!

Caporegime
That's interesting, I was just reading and the internet (well, forums) seem divided. I've seen plenty of nitro guitars without "the smell" and I don't think I've ever seen it on a guitar without a hardcase.

It is remarkably distinctive and appetising though. Addictive!

Yeah, it smells kinda sweet, but different to the Gibson, and different to the PRS (V12 finish). I would say the Fender is the strongest smelling of the 3 but the Gibson is almost 20 years old now.

Man of Honour
Yeah, it smells kinda sweet, but different to the Gibson, and different to the PRS (V12 finish). I would say the Fender is the strongest smelling of the 3 but the Gibson is almost 20 years old now.

You are so lucky you never played in bands, all my guitars used to smell of rancid tobacco.
One of the first things I did on arriving home was open up all cases on my driveway for 20 minutes, if it was raining I waited until it stopped.
I also used to remove all clothes and throw them on the drive.

Soldato
I have been playing the Strat more in the past few days and getting to know it better and liking it more. There are still a few tweaks I want to make but more to do with string tension and action (half a mm lower would be ideal, but it's perfectly playable). It’s still not as low as I like it but first I will put some 9’s on it, it might do the trick, I didn’t think when I string it up about the scale length and notice it is just harder work for the left hand with 10’s compare to my other guitars. I think the Telecaster is on 9’s as it feels more slinky (I honestly don’t remember or know because I took it to a tech in Birmingham to set it up a few years go). Another thing, the smell…that nitro finish is strong! Does it ever go away? It’s not like the guitar is freshly out of the factory but I get a whiff of it every time I pick it up.

Glad your getting on with it!

The nitro smell will fade over time. My roadworn body still has a faint smell going on. My R9 though is insane, it literally stinks the room out after I get it out of its case. It's very strong and I find it intoxicating, it smells like something of age, hard to describe, antique furniture, but sweeter. The smell is definitely the nitro finish and not residual from the glue used in the case.

Soldato
I've been really working hard on my finger picking / acoustic arrangements of things lately as about to have our first baby and I thought it might come in handy as a lullaby tool (knowing my luck baby will absolutely hate it and it'll have been wasted but it's still been fun to learn)

But rather than going straight for the tabs or similar my approach has been:
1. Try to work out the chords to the song in question
2. Look up the chords to confirm and/or fill in the more esoteric chords I couldn't work out by ear
3. Practice until I can play through the chords okay
4. Then work out the singing melody ; both actually singing (I'm not great but I try) and as an arrangement on the guitar over the chords (the fun part!)

If anybody fancies giving it a go (and it is good fun!) I think one of the easier songs I did this way was Numb by Linkin Park...

Stick a capo on the 2nd fret to put the chords you need into open positions (very important for the finger picking type of thing) and then the chords are (will give the relative chord shapes in open position too) F#m (open Em position), D (open C position), A (open G position) and E (open D position)... there are a couple of extra chords in the bridge but for starting out these give you the verse and chorus (in the order I posted) which is enough to get going. And for getting started on integrating the melody (for example) start on the F#m and you should be able to find the melody on the top 2 strings (you have to use a spare finger on the 3rd fret of the B string in places)

Associate
So, the other half bought me a Build-it-yourself P Bass kit from Thomann and I'm already enjoying doing work on it, even if it is just minor stuff!

Decided to style it after an early 60s Fender, so going for shell pink with a tort pickguard. Not sure what material the fretboard is on these kits, but I was very unimpressed when looking at it initially. Turns out it was still filthy, give it a quick wipe off just to see properly and it looks like ebony (although it clearly isn't) with a very nice grain pattern. Body has no real grain, assuming it's basswood due to how light it is too.

Neck pocket is a lovely snug fit, but none of the pickguard or tuner screw holes that have been drilled are in the right place! First job, toothpicks and wood glue :p. In honesty, the bridge and neck are spot on so that's the important bit. Getting a replacement pickguard anyway that'll likely have holes slightly different to the kit one, so no issues filling and re-drilling them now before any sanding or painting.

Soldato
So, the other half bought me a Build-it-yourself P Bass kit from Thomann and I'm already enjoying doing work on it, even if it is just minor stuff!

Decided to style it after an early 60s Fender, so going for shell pink with a tort pickguard. Not sure what material the fretboard is on these kits, but I was very unimpressed when looking at it initially. Turns out it was still filthy, give it a quick wipe off just to see properly and it looks like ebony (although it clearly isn't) with a very nice grain pattern. Body has no real grain, assuming it's basswood due to how light it is too.

Neck pocket is a lovely snug fit, but none of the pickguard or tuner screw holes that have been drilled are in the right place! First job, toothpicks and wood glue :p. In honesty, the bridge and neck are spot on so that's the important bit. Getting a replacement pickguard anyway that'll likely have holes slightly different to the kit one, so no issues filling and re-drilling them now before any sanding or painting.
Pics! :)

If you can get away with it, I'd recommend filling before paint but drilling new holes after. Screw holes are a really good place to accidentally get water if wet sanding. You end up with weird sinks in the paint where the wood swelled, you sanded flat then it lowered again.

Associate
Pics! :)

If you can get away with it, I'd recommend filling before paint but drilling new holes after. Screw holes are a really good place to accidentally get water if wet sanding. You end up with weird sinks in the paint where the wood swelled, you sanded flat then it lowered again.

Won't be any wet sanding done until clear coating at the earliest, by which point I'm sure there will be paint already blocking most of the holes up. Body is already sealed so I'm going to give it a light sand, fill in a couple of dinks and give it a few coats of primer this weekend hopefully.

It is however my first time using a nitrocellulose lacquer paint so quite intrigued to see how it goes.

Associate
If I was to go down the playing through my PC route, what audio interface would you guys recommend? I was thinking of picking up the STL tone hub software.

At the moment, playing without headphones isn’t really an option and by the time I’ve plugged in pedals and headphones etc I’m so tangled in wires it’s just frustrating. Sitting in front of the PC with just the guitar cable and one set of headphones would be much better.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Looking at getting back into playing the guitar after 10 years! got my eye on an ESP 256 - gets great reviews and decent price, along with a Code50

Anyone used Andertons for gear, trying to get an appointment for this weekend :)

Associate
Looking at getting back into playing the guitar after 10 years! got my eye on an ESP 256 - gets great reviews and decent price, along with a Code50

Anyone used Andertons for gear, trying to get an appointment for this weekend :)
Not been to the store, but I did buy a bass off them online. Arrived in the bare Fender box, clearly nobody thought double boxing it was a good idea. Opened it up to find a massive dent and crack in the back of the instrument where something had clearly whacked the packaging. Returned and ended up buying elsewhere, mainly due to them having no more stock rather than a lack of faith but still.

Back
Top Bottom