***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
^ definitely as the jam feature is too restrictive on the mobile phone.
-
So after a few hours:
Really enjoying the jam feature; which was the primary reason for the buy as I play exclusively alone.

I have read a lot of feedback issues due to grounding on the PSU but I've not noticed any significant feedback unless going for the high gain settings but I suspect that's simply due to sensitivity as muting the strings, kills the feedback. I am little confused as to when or how the amps controls are used in conjunction with the app and tone settings. I've had a few "hangs" if you can call it that when the amp doesn't do anything; both the on and tap lights are persistently on and the amp requires a power cycle to fix.

Lastly; I cannot seem to get the tone sounds as heard on yt vids; especially clean bluesy tones. I've noticed on a few unboxing vids my tone selection does not match the presenters!? There's definitely a lot of stuff on the tone-cloud so further experimentation is required. This is where I suspect the amp controls need some twiddling along with the app tonal settings.

spark.jpg

e: yowsers; some amp and tones produce outrageous feedback! Not sure if it's the PSU grounding issue or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm playing around; I just can't quite dial the tone in. This is going to be a time-sink I can tell :)

Somewhat annoyingly, now that I've switched to the ipad; all jam tracks are outputted through the ipad's speakers?! Switching back to the phone and everything is through the amp.

e: there's a second bt spark audio device on ipad. It took ages to show as an available device!

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought a Epiphone Pro Series Accoustic this morning. Looking forward to it turning up. always fancied one should keep me from buying another electric

Caporegime
How's the Spark sound compared to the Yamaha @Raymond Lin ? I have seen a few rather more critical reviews on the Spark it where it doesn't get too much praise on sound quality output.

After more play, the Yamaha does sound better, the Spark is too bass heavy in a way that I can’t really dial out. I think it’s to do with the inherent design of the cab/speaker. I can’t see a port at the back, I’m not sure if there is a port on the front as it’s all covered but as a result it’s quite boomy.

it is still a fab tool for practicing, especially if you like to try out lots of effects. It had far more functionality than the Yamaha in that regard.

Soldato
Cheers for the input. I have a Yamaha THR30ii which I really love, it sounds fantastic and I love that it can be taken out with the built in battery.

The functionality of the Spark is appealing, definitely.

Soldato
If you're mostly interested in the jamming functionality but not the amp then definitely consider the Trio+ looper, it has the same thing and works pretty well. You can also created multiple "parts" and then stitch them together to create something a bit more interesting than you can with a single loop

Man of Honour
I have the Trio+ and it is a wonderful piece of technology compared to the multiple videos I've watched of the Spark (when it comes to AI jamming).
The only problem is I showed it my best mate a month ago and he doesn't want to part with it.

Soldato
Haha, similar for me... at my work (pre-COVID) we used to have like a meetup every couple of weeks to jam, or demo riffs and things, just like a guitar hangout kinda thing. One week one of the other guys at it brought his Trio+ and I was so impressed by it I went home and ordered one immediately :D

Man of Honour
Just to explain to people - with the Spark you choose the male or female, jam a few chords and you don't get what you expected and that's it.
You can try and jam the chords in a different way but you're left with what you've got.
With Trio+ I leave it on Rock and then preset number 4 which gives me an AC/DC type backing which is default for me however by turning the drum style knob and presets you can be into a reggae rhythm or whatever.
Some of the bass lines are to die for and my bass player didn't believe the AI did it.

Soldato
Trio + is £170 or something so it’s not far off the Spark.

Got mine for £120 on ebay with the extra footswitch included... as Fox says above the modelling is really very versatile, not only can you change Genre there are then 12 variations to select from (within each genre) and then for every one of those you can also specify from 3 different types of bassline (essentially controls how much the "bassist" ad-libs around and adds little fills and fluctuations, which are sometimes great but other times not quite what you were going for). You can also just use it to record loops like a regular looper

Back
Top Bottom