***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Associate
Ouch my ears! That's one loud track! Not much to comment on except maybe the left justified guitar riffs and perhaps the solo gets a little lost - perhaps a small high end boost to lift them up?

But hey that's probably supposed to be like that. Its really tight, like spot on tight.

Can I ask how you recorded the drums?

Soldato
Ouch my ears! That's one loud track! Not much to comment on except maybe the left justified guitar riffs and perhaps the solo gets a little lost - perhaps a small high end boost to lift them up?

But hey that's probably supposed to be like that. Its really tight, like spot on tight.

Can I ask how you recorded the drums?

My bro is an extremely good bassist/guitarist which is definitely where the tightness comes from!

The drums are fake I'm afraid. Superior drummer but processed to poo in an attempt to make them sound as real as possible.

Associate
Thought so... they are so rigid. it fits this music perhaps but they would benefit from a little variation in velocity or maybe less quantize. did you use grooves or program them yourself?

Soldato
It's the way it is for this type of music really. Even if drums are recorded samples are used to make everything uniform. I totally understand why some wouldn't like the sound of them, it definitely takes away the human feel.

The velocity is pretty much 100% for kick and snare (except for fills). On cymbal rides I "randomised" the velocity myself (the pro tools velocity randomising is terrible). They were programmed to a grid so unless I manually move them out of time they will always be perfect (which I know isn't always ideal).

In metal-core you're basically hearing real cymbals and that's about it. Even if it is mostly real sounds after compressing and soft clipping (which is routine) most of the dynamics have gone.

I programmed them completely myself.

Last edited:
Associate
I understand - goes with the scene. Fits with the choon. I hope you haven't taken it as a slur against you - you have done a great job programming them. The fills in particular. I just like stuff a little less mechanical. I have been programming midi drums for the best part of 20 years and have strived to move away from mechanical so I'm just a bit sensitive to it. Most listeners won't even notice.

Caporegime
OP
Soldato
Going to be working on an acoustic track next and I really want some strings in there. I've got session strings (NI) but I'm not sure they will sound real enough if prominent in a mix, especially considering none of us play strings (other than guitars).

Any tips?

Associate
Some nice setups in here. I've just got myself up and running with a little project studio in a spare room, having not done any recording in about 10 years.

What DAW is everyone using?

Currently running Cubase Elements 8 to record guitar/bass audio via Focusrite 2i2 and then EZDrummer and some VSTs playing the midi parts i've programmed for keys and other orchestration.

Elements seems ok, but it has pretty much no scoring functionality which i'm going to need, as i write orchestral arrangements in some of my stuff. Trying to decide whether to upgrade to Cubase Pro version, or switch completely and look at something like Studio One + Notion, which seems to get good reviews for integration of orchestral playback with the DAW.

Last edited:
Associate
I was a long time Logic Pro X user when doing MIDI compositions but have since switched to Presonus Studio One 3 Pro, really love fell in love with it for audio recording. Has a really nice analogue console emulation feature.

Caporegime
OP
I have got hold of a Sprirt FX 16 and would like to use it in my setup as it may offer me some extra flexibilty for outboard FX etc..

I reaaly need some help with this.

I am in the process of moving my setup about as it was doing my head in ..So its the perfect time to rewire everything and tidy up.

Spirit FX 16 | Soundcraft - Professional Audio Mixers

TjqJB9U.jpg

pWoac7O.jpg

My question is what is the best way to hook it up to my interface? My interface is A Roland Octa capture

qiu8sUyl.jpg

HaVTGzkl.jpg

I would like to mix my song using Reaper using the Mixer has I find mouse frutsrating.

Is it a question of Taking the Direct outs 1-8 from the Mixer to the Inputs 1-8 of the octa capture?

Then the line outs 1-8 of the octa capture to Line in 9-16 of the mixer?

Associate
This thread pretty much discusses all the pros and cons and way to achieve things.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140362

You need to be aware of additional A/D and the associated latency. You can either use ReInsert to send and return within Reapers mixer or just DI the channels to the hardware mixer and bypass Reapers mixer completely whilst summing in the mixer to a new stereo pair.

Back
Top Bottom