***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23648005 said:
We don't have the butterfly here in the UK.

Power button on top is sensible.

Ive heard there will be an international version at some point. And I meant more globally, everyone knows Samsung makes Galaxy phones, its very clear. But with HTC its a brand new name everyday which is getting a bit stupid. Samsung makes a load of phones but they always have 1/2 flagships and everyone knows that, HTC have loads. The HTC butterfly/Driod DNA will be a flagship, along with this new M7, then they will have their normal 6 month upgrade on these flagships.

They make the best hardware I must say although this looks a bit boring but it just everything else is such a mess. And power buttons at the top for large phones are just a hassle.

Just really want them to have a much more focused approach and do things right, so I can own a HTC phone again :p.

Soldato
OP
This phone looks very promising, very nice SoC, great build, design is starting to slowly grow on me, more of the black version the the white. Camera should be amazing too, hope HTC markets the crap out of this so they don't just lose to Samsung without even putting up a fight.

Soldato
OP
I personally dislike how the L920 would change the colour of the skies and such in dark shots, everything else looks awesome but things like that would make it look so unnatural too me.

Soldato
OP
Yup, the name sucks big time! :D Not just because it sounds stupid, but because there are already about 20-30 other htc one *insert random letter* phones, plus when you search for accessories for the "HTC one" on ebay/amazon, have fun with all the search results/items :D :p

Wonder what their next flagship will be called, HTC two??? :p :o

Not to mention their names for the features are even worse! blinkfeed, boom sound, zoe.......lol :o

It is like these guys literally just pick the words from some random name generator :D

The naming sucks, they really need to focus on branding and advertising. They clearly have a winning phone on their hands now and it ticks all the boxes.

Soldato
OP
This phone really is going to be the best of 2013, doubt anything Samsung comes close to the design and amazing build. Should have a really nice camera, hopefully better battery life, the camera should also be really good. Can't wait to get one into work for testing.

Soldato
OP
I don't this HTC is particularly special. Moto X is the real wildcard imo.

In terms of build I think it sets a new standard, the thought and quality in this phone is above even the iPhone 5. It gets all the signal magic in some tiny amount of space, NFC with a unibody metal case. That is just amazing, its the only thing that I would take my hat off too and I don't think anyone could beat it.

Unless Google make something similar to the new Chromebook, that would be amazing, perfect hardware and software in 1 package, cause as we know sense still sucks.

Soldato
OP
imo it is the best oem skin by quite a bit these days.

- unified feel throughout the apps, widgets etc. Even stock android feels disjointed throughout, this is one area that I hate about android in general
- professional/nice looking imo, not keen on the white backgrounds etc. but it looks good enough and is better than having a cartoonish looking theme with a black background like touchwiz
- overall the apps are very good and complete especially the camera app, imo it is the best by a mile (effects/filters, slow motion recording, more options like the 16.9 or 4.3 format, the best camera ui and the way it works overall is very nice) as well as the browser (modified quick thumb controls, text reflow, flash works, fast and smooth too and most importantly no rendering text/web pages the wrong way), gallery app is also feature rich
- very well optimised for performance and power efficiency, probably the best oem skin in this area actually

Sense V5 is looking even better from what I have seen so far, more minimal/cleaner looking and moving closer to the stock android UI design (in terms of layout)

Only downside of sense in my eyes is the:

- power saver notification
- battery chart

Sense 5 seems much better, much less overly flashy crap going on, I generally find all OEM skins are just horrible now, before ICS I find them ok. But now Google has really been pushing the design of android and I really like the way most things are done.

I hope they keep the camera app similar to the 4.2 versions once they upgrade I.E the thumb controls, it really is amazing.

In terms of optimised for performance I have always found touch wiz is faster overall, even on older harder and HTC phones in general aren't exactly know for great battery life. The DNA did seem to be better but I think they could do a lot more.

Sense does look better then touchwiz but I really love the video playback in touchwiz and nothing really comes close too it, even to this day. Its quiet amazing how it basically runs everything, and takes a very small amount of battery life compared to all other phones. Things like AAC isnt very well supported yet on most of the 3rd party ones like BS player, and is something I miss on the Nexus 4.

I havn't tired Sense 5, but I think its a step in the right direction in some parts, but I personally would rather have stock. It is also slightly disappointing that it is not releasing with 4.2, as we know S4 will be and HTC updating has been less then stellar.

Soldato
OP
I really hated how Android looked before ICS, and anything was better :D, GB was okay but I still hated it.

And yes It is very annoying how android apps are half white (Google Now, Gmail) and others are black/blue. I find my self generally liking the design more of Google now/iOS Gmail and Maps and I really hope Google push android in that direction.

Very interested to see how the camera performance on this, love how HTC didn't care to join the MP race like ever other OEM, and how good the 600 is with battery life.

Soldato
OP
Its the same problem again, HTC wont have this phone out worldwide before the S4 is announced, and by then its game over. No one really knows about the HTC One, but almost all my family members know that the S4 is being announced on the 14th.

And the S3 was better then the HTC One X (Tegra) mostly due to HTC dropping the ball on software, it was slower then even my s2/4s and it had really crap battery life TBH. If they had the Sense 4V+ that is optimized for Tegra I think it would have done much better. They also released the One S which is so close to being the best HTC phone at the time, much better design/build, better SoC, just worse storage/screen. It was a very confusing lunach and it just not simple to the user. With Samsung you know what your getting, the s3 or Note(if you want a bigger S3).

That and Advertising, Samsung advertise there phones, it doesn't push specs, it just shows the experience, and the experience is a really good one to most users. I saw just that 1 HTC ad where the guy was sky diving and recording video, and that was on for a few weeks :S.

I really think all these OEMs need to up there game, or it really well be just Samsung and Apple left.

Soldato
OP
Icon layout is mostly different, screen looks really different too me, icon colours are hit and miss, some basic things like contact and phone are similar but some of these are just basic iconography.

Soldato
OP
It is a bit sad aswell, cause if HTC was doing well I'm sure it would push Samsung to put a lot more work into the aesthetic design of the phones, form wise there great and have really good ergonomics but when you see something like the HTC One you know your looking at an amazing feat of design.

Soldato
OP
Thinking of getting my Dad a HTC One, he current has a S2 and was looking at getting a Note 2, but I think its just too big to be useful, and I dont see it fitting his suit pants pockets.

Tried this phone out myself and it seems ok once I ignored some of the stupid HTC choices in software and hardware. Just wanted to ask if there was any issues or problems I should look at for once we get the phone or any reasons the Note 2 would be better. Hey spends most of his time on phone calls, reading the internet, and reading books so I believe the increased PPI and having a full RGB should improve both those things. Also having an IPS screen battery life should be good for that usages.

Camera doesn't really matter if it is as good as the S2 it more then enough, and the build should be way better so thats another plus.

Soldato
OP
Im itching to drop my Nexus 4 for a HTC One, more so that there is leaks that HTC might be releasing an AOSP rom for all its devices. Just wondering what LTE bands does it have, been looking online without much luck. I really want to keep my next phone for around 2 years and I'm hoping to get 4G but not sure which provider so would need something that runs on all the future 4g bands.

Soldato
OP
Must just be but that mockup Nexus did with the on screen buttons looks awful :o much prefer capacitive

Personally love on screen buttons, it more the battery life just isnt cutting it and the HTC One hardware is amazing. Personally feel the 2 button layout is just stupid, I'm so used to a multi-tasking button, even going back to something like S2 where you hold the button to multi-task is just so slow.

Soldato
OP
Is the battery life not that great then?

At first it was totally useless since the 4.2.2 update its ok I average 3-4 hours screen on time but I want something closer to 5hours or more tbh. I guess I'm some what of a heavy user and my gf never has issues with it but I need a bit more.

Also its hard to avoid how beautiful the HTC One is, it looks amazing, feels amazing, perfect screen (a bit hit and miss thou from what I have seen), and has some good battery life from what I have seen here and XDA.

Back
Top Bottom