Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
Hmm. Slightly confused. Does Infuse play disc back directly or do I need to rip them and then play the ripped file?
Both, although DVD/BDmenus aren't supported which is a bit of a pain (needs a player that supports Java or libbluray).

Saying that, if your plan is to rip, and i assume encode, the dics any way then you have a load of options for players (other than keeping menus intact).

Soldato
The Blu-ray drive arrived and seems to be working. The only problem is that it requires two USB A ports to work so I have one end plugged into my Studio and the other one in a hub. I'm ripping a Blu-ray at the moment. It says it'll take an hour.

Soldato
I got VLC to playback Blu-rays (and DVDs).

Go to this website: https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
Download the latest keys file
Place key file in ~/Library/Preferences/aacs/
Install libaacs from homebrew (brew install libaacs)
Open /opt/homebrew/Cellar/libaacs
Copy libaacs.0.dylib
Paste in /usr/local/lib
Symlink libaacs.0.dylib to libaacs.dylib

Open VLC and play a disc (menus are not supported).

Commissario
OP
Converting some mp4 videos that I grabbed from iPlayer to H265 using Handbrake.

ocnEINX.png

Not a bad frame rate, I do love my Studio, it's not even being driven hard.

jqbrhDQl.png

Soldato
Does anyone know if there is a KVM switch that uses Thunderbolt 4 and supports two computers and three DisplayPort monitors with a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse (can change to wired if needed)?

Soldato
Does anyone know if there is a KVM switch that uses Thunderbolt 4 and supports two computers and three DisplayPort monitors with a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse (can change to wired if needed)?

There's only one thunderbolt 4 KVM switch afaik (Sabrent) but it won't support three displays.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's only one thunderbolt 4 KVM switch afaik (Sabrent) but it won't support three displays.

Thank you. That is a real shame. I really need three monitor support. I find it weird that KVM switches with slower ports support three monitors where as this one does not. Maybe I'll look for USB-4 instead.

Soldato
Thank you. That is a real shame. I really need three monitor support. I find it weird that KVM switches with slower ports support three monitors where as this one does not. Maybe I'll look for USB-4 instead.

MacOS doesn't support DisplayPort MST either, so Apple is not making this easy. I'm guessing you can probably make 3 displays work if you connect a displaylink hub to the KVM switch.

Soldato
Thank you. That is a real shame. I really need three monitor support.
Out of interest, what is your monitor set-up and workflow such that you need three monitors? I'm not trying to argue that you don't, I'm just curious, having recently gone from two monitors down to just one again, and not really missing the extra one :)

Soldato
Out of interest, what is your monitor set-up and workflow such that you need three monitors? I'm not trying to argue that you don't, I'm just curious, having recently gone from two monitors down to just one again, and not really missing the extra one :)
No problem. I have my main front facing monitor dedicated to whatever I am doing. If it is just normal stuff and no need for fancy stuff then the left hand monitor is Apple Music and the right hand monitor is Discord.

If I am programming then the left hand monitor turns into Google Chrome Developer Edition and Google Gemini Advanced with Apple Music just in the background.

I'm training myself to use the command line as much as possible so things might change.

The monitors themselves are one 4K 27" and two 1080p 24" monitors.

My desk is a mess :D

Soldato
Fair enough, thanks for explaining. When I was coding full time last year, I had two 27" monitors where the left one was a full screen terminal and the right was a vertical split between the terminal and Safari, with virtual desktops for Mail, Slack and one or two other bits and bobs. I found this to be fairly productive.

Having said that, I probably wrote some of my best code on a 10.5" iPad Pro on a train a few years ago, so I'm not 100% sure that more screen space is always better for me personally. I have a theory that I'm more likely to write concise and elegant code to fit on my screen in one go, so the larger the screen space, the less incentive there is to refactor, but this is purely a hypothesis with no proof :p

Back
Top Bottom