Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has the M1 Max, the M1 Ultra and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Commissario
It's official and it's available to order now. The new Mac Studio.

Note that you can pick multiple options in the poll. I expect most people to pick the "I really want one but I don't need one" along with "No". In fact, even if you pick one of the "yes" options, if you're truthful you'll probably choose the "I really want one but I don't need one" as well :D

Mac Studio is an entirely new Mac desktop. It packs outrageous performance, extensive connectivity and new capabilities into an unbelievably compact form, putting everything you need within easy reach and transforming any space into a studio. And it all starts with your choice of the ferociously fast M1 Max or the all-new M1 Ultra — the most powerful chip ever in a personal computer.

McaOzbf.png

Built from two M1 Max chips, M1 Ultra lets you power through workflows on an unprecedented scale. So you can run complex particle simulations or work with massive 3D environments that were previously impossible to render. And with twice the media engine resources, M1 Ultra can support up to 18 streams of 8K ProRes 422 video playback — something no other personal computer can do.

Commissario
OP
As long as they are specifically optimised for the M1 - last time I checked for generic multi platform apps like Handbrake, M1 still trailed behind
Totally anecdotal but I just converted a 4Gb .mp4 from my drone on my 2017 4.2GHz i7 iMac and my M1 MBA to h265 at the same time. The iMac took 6:53 and the M1 MBA 2:49. That's using Permute which I believe is still a universal app.

Commissario
OP
Thanks, it's interesting that I'd already come to pretty much that same conclusion :)

The reason I'm now angling towards the Ultra is that I really think that a desktop should be more powerful than a laptop and the M1 Max in it is basically the same as the top of the range MBP. I know that tech will move on and it won't take long for it to be overtaken but I've always been one to buy the best I can afford to make it last as long as I can which is why my original iMac lasted six years and I've had my current one for five years.

It works out as about £1200* more to buy the base Ultra with a 2Tb drive than it does to buy the base Max with extra GPU cores, 64Gb RAM and a 2Tb drive.

Considering the difference between the base models is £2000, this makes sense to me. I'd be getting 48 GPU cores as opposed to 32, the same RAM, the same SSD but effectively double the computing power, double the memory bandwidth and double all the decode/encode engines along with that sparkly, smug feeling of having the spanky new chip :D

I think it's worth delaying the purchase a couple of months to put the extra cash together.

*Actually it'll be just £1000 more as I'm getting it ex-vat

Commissario
OP
Oops. I really hope it's not glued together, that'd be awful for cleaning and maintenance.
Take it outside and give it a good puff through or squirt a can of compressed air through it to blow out the dust.

I'd expect the ifixit teardown to appear sometime today, that'll be interesting.

Commissario
OP
Mine will just sit on my desk, the same way my iMac does. Every so often (like, maybe once a year), I disconnect it, take it outside and blow compressed air through it.

Commissario
OP
Ultra has a denser heatsink, so that could be it.
Aye, reports saying that it's copper on the Ultra and aluminium on the Max. When I get mine, if I put it on the desk and it's noisy, I'll just mount it under the desk so it's away from me. Having said that, I really don't think it's going to be an issue.

Also means you can probably DIY the Max cooling into something better with better TIM, even using aftermarket heatsinks if one becomes available.
Having seen what's involved with the strip down, I'll be very surprised if anyone does that but yes, it's a good warranty busting option :)

Back
Top Bottom