***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Does anyone remember the old Armani aftershave? Used to pick up a bottle going through duty free back in the 90s and early 00s but not flown for a while now. I’ve looked in vain for it in the shops and the usual online sources but can’t track it down, not even the balm variant. Can anyone suggest where I could buy a new bottle, or failing that something with a similar fragrance? Was powerful stuff, only needed a couple of drops and one of the few aftershaves my missus actually liked to smell on me, too!

I've settled on Mach 3 Turbo and King Shave Gel here. I've gone from shaving every other day to twice a week and now to once a week now since covid times. I was considering giving my local barbers a go with cut throat but that's crazy talk. I get one or two ingrowing hairs that I think are fixed but then return, but I'm not sure that's the razors fault, maybe just my neck(?)

I've settled on Mach 3 Turbo and King Shave Gel here. I've gone from shaving every other day to twice a week and now to once a week now since covid times. I was considering giving my local barbers a go with cut throat but that's crazy talk. I get one or two ingrowing hairs that I think are fixed but then return, but I'm not sure that's the razors fault, maybe just my neck(?)
Mach 3 is the only multiblade razor I use now, I only use one when I'm in a rush and haven't got time for a full on DE shave and I think it's a really good balance between multiblades and irritation, it is galling though the amount of money they cost but as I use them so infrequently I think my last pack (I buy big packs from Costco) has lasted me over a year I'm happy enough

Can anyone help me please.

I'm 40 years old and still suffer from spots from shaving mostly in growing hair. I wet shave but thinking of moving to an electric shaver for convenience

I also suffer from dry skin especially in the winter but also I have pretty greasy skin if I use the wrong moisturizer it makes it worse

If anyone could help I would like advice on a electric shaver, the Philips one blade looks pretty decent for my needs

I also could do with advice on a moisturiser that I can use post shave that will help with the spots but I can also use around my eyes for dry skin, my current one burns my eyes if I put it anyone near the eye area

Thanks!

I'm 40 years old and still suffer from spots from shaving mostly in growing hair. I wet shave but thinking of moving to an electric shaver for convenience

I also suffer from dry skin especially in the winter but also I have pretty greasy skin if I use the wrong moisturizer it makes it worse

If anyone could help I would like advice on a electric shaver, the Philips one blade looks pretty decent for my needs

I also could do with advice on a moisturiser that I can use post shave that will help with the spots but I can also use around my eyes for dry skin, my current one burns my eyes if I put it anyone near the eye area

Thanks!
No idea about electric shavers, but the Nivea sensitive aftershave balm is pretty damn hard to beat.

Thanks!
I would recommend DE shaving, the single blade reduces skin contact and less contact equates to less irritation.

I would also recommend one of these and use one after every single shave:-

Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation) : AmazonSmile: Health & Personal Care

These work well as anti bacterial and anti inflammatory and I never get a rash after shaving anymore using an alum block.

Any post shave balm should be good to soothe your skin but I think you can get ones specifically for oily skin but as I don't have it I haven't really researched it.

No idea about electric shavers, but the Nivea sensitive aftershave balm is pretty damn hard to beat.

Damn I just bought some Simple moisturiser, I nearly bought the nivea but the Simple was only £1.75 so thought I would try it

I would recommend DE shaving, the single blade reduces skin contact and less contact equates to less irritation.

I would also recommend one of these and use one after every single shave:-

Osma Bloc - Alum Block 75g (Soothes Shaving Irritation) : AmazonSmile: Health & Personal Care

These work well as anti bacterial and anti inflammatory and I never get a rash after shaving anymore using an alum block.

Any post shave balm should be good to soothe your skin but I think you can get ones specifically for oily skin but as I don't have it I haven't really researched it.

I'll have a look at this thanks

Mach 3 is the only multiblade razor I use now,

I dropped Gillette after their misandrist adverts. As soon as my stock of blades ran out I switched. I tried a number of alternatives but settled on Wilkinson Sword. I now use their Hydro 5 razors: a vibrating one at home and an ordinary one for travel.

For shaving gel I use King of Shaves.

Thanks!
Absolutely go DE. I always had ingrown hairs from mach 3, I imagine an electric shaver would be the same. Since I went DE, I swear I haven't had one ingrown hair

Absolutely go DE. I always had ingrown hairs from mach 3, I imagine an electric shaver would be the same. Since I went DE, I swear I haven't had one ingrown hair

Sorry mate what's DE?

Edit - sorry just seen it was mentioned above but I missed it because I was looking at that crazy block thing, I'll look at these thanks

Edit 2 - Sorry still confused, initially thought it was a brand but now thinking it's a type of razor?

Please could you let me know what I need to look for to see examples of DE, thanks

Edit 3 - :D ok I get it, never knew these existed. I can see Wilkinson Sword do one which is my usual go to brand, they look trickier to use but I might give one a try. Is there a stand out brand/model available that's regularly regarded as a go to?

Last edited:
Sorry mate what's DE?

Edit - sorry just seen it was mentioned above but I missed it because I was looking at that crazy block thing, I'll look at these thanks

Edit 2 - Sorry still confused, initially thought it was a brand but now thinking it's a type of razor?

Please could you let me know what I need to look for to see examples of DE, thanks

Edit 3 - :D ok I get it, never knew these existed. I can see Wilkinson Sword do one which is my usual go to brand, they look trickier to use but I might give one a try. Is there a stand out brand/model available that's regularly regarded as a go to?
Apologies, yeah DE = double edged, it's a type of razor. I've now used one for over 10 years. I shave daily and this is without doubt the best for my skin since I no longer get irritation and no longer suffer ingrown hairs. Shaving is a little more laborious than a match 3, but once mastered it's well worth it.

The go to DE razor is generally the Merkur. However, blade choice is a massive factor, you'll want to test out different brands to see what suits.

https://www.theenglishshavingcompan...QOV_H4IwjdwL5CQoZi1UgYlMe9gwKi3hoCDwIQAvD_BwE

Apologies, yeah DE = double edged, it's a type of razor. I've now used one for over 10 years. I shave daily and this is without doubt the best for my skin since I no longer get irritation and no longer suffer ingrown hairs. Shaving is a little more laborious than a match 3, but once mastered it's well worth it.

The go to DE razor is generally the Merkur. However, blade choice is a massive factor, you'll want to test out different brands to see what suits.

https://www.theenglishshavingcompan...QOV_H4IwjdwL5CQoZi1UgYlMe9gwKi3hoCDwIQAvD_BwE

Thanks again I will have a look.

I might just get the Wilkinson Sword one for now to see how I fair with the change, it's £12 on Amazon and I'm not exactly a patient man so I might get frustrated with it, if that's the case I won't have lost much

This is a great razor (I don't personally have one but bought my brother one a few years ago for his birthday and he's used it ever since):-

Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Premium Men’s Metal Safety Razor with x5 Refill Blades : AmazonSmile: Health & Personal Care

As mentioned above blades are very personal so it's best to try a selection, if you go to Shaving Shack or Connaught Shaving (I've used both sites and can vouch for them both) they both do a selection of different blades as trial packs, I did buy from Amazon but the last lot of Feather blades I had I'm sure they were fakes as they seemed a little bit duller than the Feathers I bought from Shaving Shack, also try to stay away from eBay for blades.

Thanks again I will have a look.

I might just get the Wilkinson Sword one for now to see how I fair with the change, it's £12 on Amazon and I'm not exactly a patient man so I might get frustrated with it, if that's the case I won't have lost much
You will lose your patience a bit, maybe. Like I said though it takes a bit of time to master but now I flick that blade around effortlessly and 'know' my face. There's been a couple times when I've had to use a mach 3 when away from home/I was caught short and I honestly felt like I was learning to shave all over again, it felt so odd and wrong and I couldn't get anywhere near the close shave I normally do without stripping my skin back.

@Maundie is spot on. Trial different blades and see what works. Use a brush and decent cream too. It makes all the difference. I look after my skin and it shows (no brag)

This is a great razor (I don't personally have one but bought my brother one a few years ago for his birthday and he's used it ever since):-

Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Premium Men’s Metal Safety Razor with x5 Refill Blades : AmazonSmile: Health & Personal Care

As mentioned above blades are very personal so it's best to try a selection, if you go to Shaving Shack or Connaught Shaving (I've used both sites and can vouch for them both) they both do a selection of different blades as trial packs, I did buy from Amazon but the last lot of Feather blades I had I'm sure they were fakes as they seemed a little bit duller than the Feathers I bought from Shaving Shack, also try to stay away from eBay for blades.

Thats the one I'm going to get as soon as my current razors run out. I guess all DE razors are interchangeable then based on what you're saying. Trying different blades sounds like a bit of a faff I hope I get on with the standard ones that come with it but if not I can try different ones if all DE razors are guaranteed to fit. Thanks again for the help with this I'm looking forward to trying the change and its good to reduce plastic use too which I like the idea of

You will lose your patience a bit, maybe. Like I said though it takes a bit of time to master but now I flick that blade around effortlessly and 'know' my face. There's been a couple times when I've had to use a mach 3 when away from home/I was caught short and I honestly felt like I was learning to shave all over again, it felt so odd and wrong and I couldn't get anywhere near the close shave I normally do without stripping my skin back.

@Maundie is spot on. Trial different blades and see what works. Use a brush and decent cream too. It makes all the difference. I look after my skin and it shows (no brag)

I want to start looking after my face more, I am 40 and sick of spots and I think the majority of them is caused by rushed shaving with products that dont work well for me. Now that I know what I am doing in terms of a new shaver I am stuck with the next big issue which is moisturiser. I need to use it, especially in Winter but the biggest problem I have is they make my eyes burn, I'm not putting it in or near my eyes its like my eyes are really sensitive to the fumes and makes them burn and go red and I look like I'm stoned, its really irritating.

I've just spent a bit of money on different ones and no luck so far.

Nivea Cream, used to use this all the time its the only one that doesnt make my eyes burn but makes me look like I stuck my head in chip fat and causes spots so binned it
Loreal Men Anti Spot Moisturiser, makes my eyes burn
Simple Hydrating Moisturiser, I thought this would be the one as its supposed to be "Simple" but no, makes my eyes burn really badly
Nivea Post Shave Sensitive Balm, bought some yesterday as mentioned by @Cob I will try it today and I'm really hoping it doesnt make my eyes burn otherwise I dont know what to try next

If the Nivea does burn my eyes it would be great to know what others use so I can try them, I think its going to be a case of buying and trying until I eventually find one that doesnt

Thats the one I'm going to get as soon as my current razors run out. I guess all DE razors are interchangeable then based on what you're saying. Trying different blades sounds like a bit of a faff I hope I get on with the standard ones that come with it but if not I can try different ones if all DE razors are guaranteed to fit. Thanks again for the help with this I'm looking forward to trying the change and its good to reduce plastic use too which I like the idea of

I want to start looking after my face more, I am 40 and sick of spots and I think the majority of them is caused by rushed shaving with products that dont work well for me. Now that I know what I am doing in terms of a new shaver I am stuck with the next big issue which is moisturiser. I need to use it, especially in Winter but the biggest problem I have is they make my eyes burn, I'm not putting it in or near my eyes its like my eyes are really sensitive to the fumes and makes them burn and go red and I look like I'm stoned, its really irritating.

I've just spent a bit of money on different ones and no luck so far.

Nivea Cream, used to use this all the time its the only one that doesnt make my eyes burn but makes me look like I stuck my head in chip fat and causes spots so binned it
Loreal Men Anti Spot Moisturiser, makes my eyes burn
Simple Hydrating Moisturiser, I thought this would be the one as its supposed to be "Simple" but no, makes my eyes burn really badly
Nivea Post Shave Sensitive Balm, bought some yesterday as mentioned by @Cob I will try it today and I'm really hoping it doesnt make my eyes burn otherwise I dont know what to try next

If the Nivea does burn my eyes it would be great to know what others use so I can try them, I think its going to be a case of buying and trying until I eventually find one that doesnt
All of this stuff is ***** if I'm honest, it'll contain chemicals that will burn. Consider stuff the ladies use, like Tropic or Elemis. Definitely reconsider your shaving equipment and routine first though. Better to prep with a good cleanser then apply cream with a brush, and a better shave with a DE could prevent spots in the first place. Then once complete, nourish skin with decent skin "food" and you should be golden. If you suffer badly after that at 40 I'd go see a Dermatologist because I'm the same age and you shouldn't suffer spots too badly at our age.

E: clarins and clinique are a little cheaper too and also alright. I personally don't buy much of any of this stuff myself, it's all I ask for Xmas every year so I have accrued a stock pile ;)

Last edited:
All of this stuff is ***** if I'm honest, it'll contain chemicals that will burn. Consider stuff the ladies use, like Tropic or Elemis. Definitely reconsider your shaving equipment and routine first though. Better to prep with a good cleanser then apply cream with a brush, and a better shave with a DE could prevent spots in the first place. Then once complete, nourish skin with decent skin "food" and you should be golden. If you suffer badly after that at 40 I'd go see a Dermatologist because I'm the same age and you shouldn't suffer spots too badly at our age.

E: clarins and clinique are a little cheaper too and also alright. I personally don't buy much of any of this stuff myself, it's all I ask for Xmas every year so I have accrued a stock pile ;)

Thanks for all the advice, my face is happier for it :)

Turns out the nivea stuff doesn't burn my eyes which is great and my skin soaks it up and it's not greasy either so I'm really happy about that

I'll have a look at some of the other stuff you mentioned and as soon as my current batch of razors runs out I'll get the Wilkinson Sword DE razor and try it out

Thanks again

Best blades i ever found were discontinued sadly.

Iridium Super and Polsilver Super Iridium.

Not sure why but i had less cuts with them than all the other blades i tried.

Next best were the yellow packet Gillette 7`oclocks.

Feathers were the sharpest but they would cut me.

Back
Top Bottom