*** The Official Microsoft Surface Thread ***

Soldato
Looks like MS have completely missed the point of tablets and stuffed a PC into a tablet form factor instead. Oh well, pricing will probably decide how well they do. I wonder if people will be able to hack Android on to the RT one.

Soldato
Not particularly impressive surely:

The ARM version is over 1mm thicker and almost 100g heavier than something like the Transformer prime, and iirc the Tegra3+ is supposed to be simply a die-shrink, so still a poor performing SoC considering what it's competition will be, assuming either Exynos or S4 based tablets.

The x86 version is simply too heavy to be a decent portable device (hell my Touchpad is the wrong side of the line in that respect, and that's ~160g lighter), and I'd imagine battery life will be measured in nanoseconds :p

Maybe I'm missing something but considering it will be going up against the iPad 3 (which beats the ARM version in every respect) and presumably by then the next wave of Android tablets (eg the high res transformer prime, possible Exynos/S4, and Jelly Bean of course), with the iPad 4 coming out not long after, what's the selling point other than it being Windows, which might work for the pointless x86 version but the ARM one only runs metro apps of which there are going to be about 3...

EDIT: I do like the built in kickstand though, that's nice, probably one of the reason they're both relatively thick though...

Last edited:
Soldato
Not particularly impressive surely:

The ARM version is over 1mm thicker and almost 100g heavier than something like the Transformer prime, and iirc the Tegra3+ is supposed to be simply a die-shrink, so still a poor performing SoC considering what it's competition will be, assuming either Exynos or S4 based tablets.

The x86 version is simply too heavy to be a decent portable device (hell my Touchpad is the wrong side of the line in that respect, and that's ~160g lighter), and I'd imagine battery life will be measured in nanoseconds :p

Maybe I'm missing something but considering it will be going up against the iPad 3 (which beats the ARM version in every respect) and presumably by then the next wave of Android tablets (eg the high res transformer prime, possible Exynos/S4, and Jelly Bean of course), with the iPad 4 coming out not long after, what's the selling point other than it being Windows, which might work for the pointless x86 version but the ARM one only runs metro apps of which there are going to be about 3...

Not sure if the idea is to compete with iPad 3 or 4...
For me idea to have windows tablet at affordable price is great. Samsung one with win7 is simply too expensive .
iPad is not lightest as well.
We have to wait and see how it will look in real life,how good/ bad battery is.

At this point, don't want to argue if win or iOS is better. It will turn in a fight between fan boys :)

Again, am excited for this tablet and am sure windows will work with me better that iOS and android on a tablet.

Soldato
But the one that's affordable is the ARM based one, and what does Windows RT offer that iOS and Android don't (not to say it's better or worse, but it's simply at the same level of functionality, give or take)

The one that will actually run 'windows' as we know and love it isn't looking to be affordable...

So you've got the two propositions, the ARM one which surely is designed to compete in the existing tablet market, eg basically against the iPad, but also to a much lesser extent the Android market. In which case where's the selling point?

And then the x86 one, which has the selling point of running full windows apps if that's you're thing, but it's neither affordable nor (imo) really portable, or anymore portable than a laptop that is. In which case why not buy a laptop which, depending just how good the keyboard covers actually are, could well be the better machine for doing work on?

Soldato
But the one that's affordable is the ARM based one, and what does Windows RT offer that iOS and Android don't (not to say it's better or worse, but it's simply at the same level of functionality, give or take)

The one that will actually run 'windows' as we know and love it isn't looking to be affordable...

So you've got the two propositions, the ARM one which surely is designed to compete in the existing tablet market, eg basically against the iPad, but also to a much lesser extent the Android market. In which case where's the selling point?

And then the x86 one, which has the selling point of running full windows apps if that's you're thing, but it's neither affordable nor (imo) really portable, or anymore portable than a laptop that is. In which case why not buy a laptop which, depending just how good the keyboard covers actually are, could well be the better machine for doing work on?

You might be right that prices may be a killer.

I use program's that are for windows only ( work related) so idea of a pad with windows is great for me. I do have to use laptop on the go and use iPad for some games from time to time and mostly for web browsing and emails in the go. Samsung one is simply to expensive and can't afford it- work place only gave me laptop and won't splash a £1k for a tablet for me.

Let's wait and see how it looks.

It can be a huge disappointment and all hype will go away.

Man of Honour
Very good design with the keyboard cover. The Pro builds on the Windows 8 developer preview from last year which was based on Samsung Series 7 Slate. If you want to be able to run everything then this will be for you but cost will come into play and I can’t see this one being cheap.

Soldato
Very good design with the keyboard cover. The Pro builds on the Windows 8 developer preview from last year which was based on Samsung Series 7 Slate. If you want to be able to run everything then this will be for you but cost will come into play and I can’t see this one being cheap.

Yes, they have to play it wisely if they plan to sell a lot of them

Soldato
Keep in mind the pro is more of an ultra book with touch functionality, closer to a MacBook Air than an iPad so I would guess it won't be at iPad prices.

The RT is, I would guess be likely to mirror iPad pricing.

This could also be regarded as signature flagship devices with cheaper/differently specced options from Samsung,Dell,Acer etc

Launch event video ...

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see the Pro version becoming my only machine if it can handle EVE!
Very unlikely unless there is a massive upgrade in Tegra+. The GPU in the current Tegra Soc is years behind everyone else very slow in comparison.

EDIT:
Ignore me I am wrong. Didn’t realise it was two different Soc’s. The Tegra RT one cannot run Eve. The Pro one should be able to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pricing on The Pro is the key, you won't be pulling many customers away if it's too expensive, if it isn't that much more, I probably would switch, purely as I enjoy the windows experience more,and it will offer a great media platform.

Soldato
Very unlikely unless there is a massive upgrade in Tegra+. The GPU in the current Tegra Soc is years behind everyone else very slow in comparison.

Am I wrong In that the Pro isn't Tegra based?

RT - Tegra
Pro - i5 with built in 4000 gpu?

Also sure I've seen a windows 8 pro tablet running Diablo 3 on YouTube.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukn3wp3Dr-Q&sns=em

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom