Spec:

3.7" LCD Clearblack Display (800x480)
Qualcomm 1.4GHz Processor
512MB RAM
1300mAh battery
5 Megapixel Autofocus camera
8GB Internal Memory
A-GPS,Bluetooth,WLAN etc etc

The phone is very similar to Lumia 800 on the inside but has a completely different design and comes in at much cheaper price point.

The phone has a removable back cover and has various colours that you can interchange.

It comes with WP7.5 Mango.

Nokia URL: http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/lumia710/

I've personally got one and really like it. It's nice to hold in the hand and is very light. Great phone.

Anyone else got/getting one?

Soldato
OP
We use proper SIM cutters at work, some of the SIMs can't be done however as the actual sim part is too big. I cut mine and works fine.

Yes, both use Micro SIMs.

Soldato
OP
Hey,

Considering getting one of these for my mum as a present; she had a play with my work phone (Optimus 7) and really liked the OS, but felt it was too heavy. Wouldn't want her to get Android as I think WP7 is far more stable and simpler for her to use - this phone is a pretty awesome deal.

This looks perfect - my only concerns are over battery life with the 1300mAh battery... fairly low capacity?

Cheers,

Suman

On battery saver with very light use I get 3 days easy.

I would say 2 days otherwise.

Soldato
OP
The ones from CPW and mobiles.co.uk are unlocked too. Price seems to be exclusive to them at the minute.

Of course they will be unlocked, you are not buying them directly from an operator. Only if you buy them from an actual operator will they be locked.

My dad wants one now as well, lol - white for mom, black for dad, maybe :D

How readily available are the coloured back plates?

As far as I'm aware you get one in the box, but I may be wrong. All depends where you buy them from.

Soldato
OP
It also means you can't surf the web etc without turning it on again. At least that's what appears to happen on my Omnia 7.

This should not happen. All it turns off is BACKGROUND data, ie checking your emails for you. It also stops you from using msn/facebook chat. Surfing the web should still work no problem.

Soldato
OP
If anyone wishes to debrand their Lumia 710 it's actually pretty easy!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1488795

Although all I have to show for it after everything is no Vodafone logo on boot and a minor firmware version increase :p

Still now it's done I won't have to experience Vodafone dragging their feet with an update.

Was going to say. The only difference you'll see is no boot screen and maybe a few settings unhidden. That's all. When we do the customisation for the operators there is actually very little they can do to the phone. Unlike with Android.

Soldato
OP
Still getting calls which don't hang up. Well the call ends but the timer keeps going and shows call ending. Need to turn off and on to fix it (sometimes by taking the battery out).

Only happens every so often so only a minor annoyance but would like it sorted. Anyone else having this issue?

What firmware are you running? (Settings -> About -> More info -> Firmware Revision Number)

My grans keeps signing her into windows messenger when I had it set to offline. Is there a way to stop it doing this as it just confuses her she just wants to stick with standard messaging.

If she signs out of it, it will only sign back in if she presses 'sign in'. There isn't any automatic sign in. At least, not that I am aware of.

Had mine for a few days now and its great. Really nice change from Android, feels very fast and stable (coming from a Desire S).

I agree there are a few things that need to be added, but I'm sure with time they will come.

Nice of them to throw in the Cyan battery cover as well, wasn't expecting that! :)

Glad you like it. I have the Cyan back cover and I think it is a very nice colour. I have, however, scratched my screen, which is not so cool...

Do you work for Nokia?

Yes. I do. However, as I am sure you are well aware everything I say on here is of my opinion, and not of Nokias. Nor will I be giving out any inside information either...

Otherwise I shall be killed to death.

I really like the Lumia 710 and at the price of £120 I think it represents excellent value for money, but the streaming and browsing problem just takes the gloss off it, and I also miss Flash support in the browser as well because I cannot stream iplayer.

There will probably be some kind of iPlayer app in the future. I for one do NOT want flash support on my phone. It ruined my Android phone and slowed it down hideously.

I wouldn't personally. First of all the software they have on there for the 800 is for the American market (so it could ruin yours). Secondly, there will be VERY few phones that are 'unlocked' as they say.

Soldato
OP
Is there something wrong with my battery? Been using it today for 4hours since a 100% charge. Just a few texts, light browsing and a couple of calls and its down to 68%?

The phone seems to charge very quickly which kinda worries me. Usually on my Desire S (granted a slightly bigger battery), the charge would go quickly to 90%, then like 1-2 hours for that last 10%.

Contact Nokia Care

Is there a way to create a contact without it defaulting to windows live? my windows live ID has a lot of junk contacts on it from my old msn days. Do I need to delete these contacts for them to clear? Quite like the facebook integration but I have a dozen contacts I need to add that aren't on facebook but I dont want to have to show all my useless live IDs just to get to them.

You can filter contacts. The three little dots at the bottom of the people hub -> settings -> filter contacts.

I personally have all my contacts saved on Google Contacts. I find it nice and easy to manage them on a PC. Plus if I create a new contact on my phone I can set it so it puts them in my Google Contacts rather than Windows Live.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that link. That is exactly what I'd done several times with the same result - no 'Custom' subfolder in the 'Ringtones and Sounds' folder therefore no imported ringtone. I've followed the instructions in the link to the letter just in case but with the same result.

Naturally there's more than the ringtone issue as a reason for considering sending it back.

I'm not entirely sure what you are on about with the whole 'custom and 'ringtones and sounds' folders. You're not able to access to file system on the phone.

Just put the track into your normal library, change genre to 'RINGTONE' and away you go.

Back
Top Bottom