***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
My understanding of the way these things work (which might be wrong) goes like this:

not all 4G is created equal - depending on network etc it will use different spectra. EE for example uses 1800 MHz, and AT&T in the states uses something different. The phone needs to be told which spectrum to look on for each carrier's 4G, and the firmware does this. The alternative is polling a wide spectrum range for signal, which would probably destroy the battery. (In addition, although the Lumia 920 is capable of working with a wide variety of spectra, some phone are not, hence part of the reason for things like a Verizon iphone 4 in the states.)

Judging from what other people have said, Belgium *might* use the same 4G spectrum as EE (or include some of the same range) and if it does, then UK 4G might work if you flash Belgian firmware. (I can't seem to find out what spectrum Belgacom use. My french is rubbish.)

The folks over at the XDA forums will be able to give a much better explanation of this than I can attempt to.

I would certainly agree that advertising the phone as 4G capable and then it not working with the UK's only existing 4G network out of the box seems like a shambolic clusterf**k. Have you tried flashing EE firmware to the phone? (I think the firmware is different to the sim lock, as you can unlock EE phones, but [RXP]Andy would be the person to ask.)

Associate
the reason i havent attempted that is the following:

1) dont want to brick my new phone I paid a lot of money for :)
2) I dont know how to do it (but would if I got the clear instructions
3) I paid for an unlocked phone and shouldnt have to use a network's firmware because then it may mean that i may not be able to pop in any other providers sim card in unless I can get hold of the same firmware on my current 920 (unlocked from clove)

sure I understand that the spectrum for 4G maybe different on other countries but they know they are shipping to the UK so... they should have those "settings" in place already in the firmware...

Associate
I agree. If you wanted to return the phone to clove you almost certainly could, but it doesn't seem that that's what you want.

This seems pretty step by step - Guide although I should stress that I haven't tried it.

If you don't actually live in a 4G area, then try emailing clove and Nokia customer support before doing that though, and see if they can help?

Associate
Three times in two days!! Three times I have tried to unlock the phone and it has crashed! It is annoying and there seems no common trend to it. I took it off the charging plate and it was dead, i sent a text and next time i went to it it was dead. I checked this forum and next time i went to unlock it.....you can guess the rest.
It has only crashed on two other occasions since I've had it (mid nov) and I've not installed any news apps for a week or so so i guess i can eliminate a dodgy app.

Associate
VLC reached its target money to make a player for Windows Phone and RT.

still rising = £41,131 :D

additional features if there is still enough money

- camera input support — This allows you to record anything your connected cameras can see and to stream it live where ever you like.
- DLNA client and server integration — Play media stored on DLNA capable servers on your Windows RT tablet or Windows Phone — Stream everything VLC can play on your tablet or Windows 8 PC to your DLNA capable devices (Xbox, ...).
- integration with locally attached devices for media playback and synchronization
Smartglass support

if anyone want to support them visit this link
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro/posts

Last edited:
Soldato
Three times in two days!! Three times I have tried to unlock the phone and it has crashed! It is annoying and there seems no common trend to it. I took it off the charging plate and it was dead, i sent a text and next time i went to it it was dead. I checked this forum and next time i went to unlock it.....you can guess the rest.
It has only crashed on two other occasions since I've had it (mid nov) and I've not installed any news apps for a week or so so i guess i can eliminate a dodgy app.

My first 920 was like this. Ended up exchanging it in the end. New phone has been perfect. But this does seem to be a very common issue. Many on Nokia forums and wpcentral reporting this.

Associate

My first 920 was like this. Ended up exchanging it in the end. New phone has been perfect. But this does seem to be a very common issue. Many on Nokia forums and wpcentral reporting this.

Just got off the phone from p4u and as it's outside the 28 day window it would have to be sent off. Can't be without a phone over crimbo so I'll see how i get on over crimbo and send it in jan. The tech guy said he'd never heard of any issue with the 920 whatsoever and that people post rubbish on the internet!! I'm 100% inclined to believe forums such as this than a guy from p4u tech.
I wasn't sure if the battery app (that we all seem to have) was causing an issue at first with it crashing when i took it off the plate but i haven't read any comments to back up that theory.

Associate
Has anyone had an email from the Nokia free charger lot today? I did the application on 28/11 and received the charger last week but got an email today to say one is on it's way, doubling up of order **** up maybe?!

Associate
from what ive seen and read here, it seems it would have been worth the £40 to buy the wireless charger in store and walk out with it on the same day than wait months... :)

Soldato
from what ive seen and read here, it seems it would have been worth the £40 to buy the wireless charger in store and walk out with it on the same day than wait months... :)

Naa... I waited about 5 weeks. In the meantime I still had a charger. Now I have a free wireless one too. Patience is a virtue ;)

Back
Top Bottom