***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
sure. just press and hold the back key.... and you will see the apps running in the background and can swipe between them/scroll between them

There doesn't appear to be a way to close the apps quickly? Do you really have to go into each one and press back to close it? I thought you could swipe up or down in Windows 8 to close and app, but can't seem to do it in mobile 8?

Associate
right, it doesnt slow the phone down. it puts it in suspended mode if its not been used in a while or the OS needs to reclaim memory then it will terminate the app. Same type of model as Win8 (infact, the Win8 team took that concept from the WinPho team which also implemented this type of solution in WinPho7)

Caporegime
I'm so easily amused!
http://i.imgur.com/pwmo6.jpg

If the image is larger than 1280 pixels wide then please resize, link only or put in spoiler tags. Thank you.

Been using the phone since saturday and just noticed when you get a message it changes it from a smiley to a wink! :D

Speaking of which...a friend asked me a a few questions on what I thought of it, so heres what I think after being a long time iOS user and using this now 5-6 days.

The phone itself is fantastic. The build quality I'm still massively impressed by, the solid feel to it, the weight, the camera, the battery all of it is fantastic. The battery especially...I'm guessing this is a lot to do with the way WP8 manages its resources but even though the tiles are live so it's always pulling data the battery would outdo my iPhone from before, impressive.

The biggest change, obviously is the OS though. I have to say I really like it a lot.

To me it seems to be the perfect balance between iOS and Android. It's customizable enough to make it 'yours' whilst not letting you get down to the nitty gritty which you don't need (stopping services in Android anyone?) There are a few bits I think could do with some improvement...but it's the first revision of WP8 so no doubt they will work to improve on it with further software updates...

I also LOVED the way it consolidated a lot of my contacts and cleared a lot of it up. For example I had 4 entries for one person and it merged them all together during the import.

Overall, so far I'm extremely pleased in my choice. I'm enjoying learning new bits about the OS everyday...but I just love it so far.

Last edited:
Associate
right, it doesnt slow the phone down. it puts it in suspended mode if its not been used in a while or the OS needs to reclaim memory then it will terminate the app. Same type of model as Win8 (infact, the Win8 team took that concept from the WinPho team which also implemented this type of solution in WinPho7)

Yet in Windows 8, you can slide to terminate in the task manager. Not having it on the phone doesn't make much sense, it feels awkward.

Soldato
I agree they need to tidy up the way you close apps. Backing out of each one is just fussy.

As a long time Windows 8 user the first thing I tried to do was swipe down and of course that doesn't do anything.

Soldato
To me it seems to be the perfect balance between iOS and Android. It's customizable enough to make it 'yours' whilst not letting you get down to the nitty gritty which you don't need (stopping services in Android anyone?) There are a few bits I think could do with some improvement...but it's the first revision of WP8 so no doubt they will work to improve on it with further software updates...

This is pretty much my experience of WP8 as a long time iOS user. It really is fantastic with just a few little niggles here and there. Probably the biggest missing feature is a notification centre which is pretty much confirmed for a future update.

Associate
lol soujisama - you shouldnt have said anything!
you did notice the email icon changes when you get an email right?
did you notice the location icon that sometimes appears on your phone next to the battery indicator?

Caporegime
Spoiler: It's different emoticon when a message doesn't get sent successfully:)

Ah wicked! :D I noticed as well when I woke up this morning I had 5 messages and the face was a :-0 instead of ;)

:D

lol soujisama - you shouldnt have said anything!
you did notice the email icon changes when you get an email right?
did you notice the location icon that sometimes appears on your phone next to the battery indicator?

Yeah it gets a little one next to it....?
Nope, didn't notice the location indicator, which one is that?

Caporegime
Looking froward to snagging one of these in January, been on ios since the original iphone (original and iphone 4) and its so stale its annoying, looks exactly the same as it did 5 years ago so a change will be very welcome. Its like most of Apples effort goes into making something thinner just because thats become the keynote gimmick over the last lot of years instead of giving the ui an overhaul, it just looks like its stuck in 2007 :mad:.

Last edited:
Soldato
iOS is stale, but it's also mature, mostly dependable and more importantly selling. I think those hoping for a radical overhaul soon are going to be disappointed. I don't see why Apple would change a winning formula. It's a very good platform and it's only really certain sections of the enthusiast crowd who see it as a bit of a laggard.

Back
Top Bottom