**** The Official Note 4 thread ****

Man of Honour
My note is dead won't turn on. :(.

Left it on charge overnight and the notification light was flashing thus morning, tried to turn the screen on but it wouldn't work so removed the battery and ever since I've been unable to turn it back on.

This happened to mine, died almost instantly, the mainboard had died and was replaced. Its a fairly common issue apparently and sadly even my new board seems to be rebooting a lot and deciding that it can't see a SIM.... need a new phone I think.

Man of Honour
Anyone else notice a bug with the built in alarm on Note phones? (not sure if its any more widespread) I don't usually set an alarm around 9am as usually I'm either up earlier or sleeping later - but today had one set and it failed to go off and the odd times in the past 4 out of 5 times ish when its set between about 8:45 and 9:45 it has done the same - any other time seems fine. It isn't that I've slept through it as I have it set to "go nuclear" if not deactivated within a few minutes and that would wake the dead.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one - small number of users on google reporting that for them a 9am alarm will go off at say 2am the next night (after it was supposed to) instead, etc. fortunately I've a second non-android based backup alarm as well set for work days.

Soldato
Well it's finally happened over here. My former Note4 that I bought in 2014 during release, and had given to my dad last year has bit the dust. He showed it to me last night and it was stuck in Recovery mode with the dreaded 'e_mmc_failure' at the top. I removed the stock battery and popped in a new PowerBear battery I had in reserve. The phone booted and I charged it to 100%.

Fast forward to this morning and my dad found that the phone was just off and wouldn't power on. I did just get it booting for a few minutes but the touch screen was unresponsive :/ It had been one hell of a nippy phone through the years and was so reliable. Sad to see it go :(

Now I need to find a replacement phone asap before a big event next month!

Soldato
Cheers dude, as it is for the parents I am looking at something for around £170 tops right now. Looking at one of the Chinese phones right now.
If you want another note4, mine will be going on MM as soon as my s8 arrives (looks like 28th'ish due to delays) - nothing wrong with it but after 30months of usage, the upgraditus got the better off me.

Otherwise at £170ish probably best you can get is moto g5 for brand new, I'm not familiar enough with chinese brands to recommend any but couple of my mates had G4 and never had any problems with these.

Associate
Well it's finally happened over here. My former Note4 that I bought in 2014 during release, and had given to my dad last year has bit the dust. He showed it to me last night and it was stuck in Recovery mode with the dreaded 'e_mmc_failure' at the top. I removed the stock battery and popped in a new PowerBear battery I had in reserve. The phone booted and I charged it to 100%.

Fast forward to this morning and my dad found that the phone was just off and wouldn't power on. I did just get it booting for a few minutes but the touch screen was unresponsive :/ It had been one hell of a nippy phone through the years and was so reliable. Sad to see it go :(

Now I need to find a replacement phone asap before a big event next month!

Install Wakelock and put it on Setting 4 (Partial Wake Lock). It won't fix it but might delay the inevitable for a few more weeks or months. Make sure there's a decent battery in it though as it will use more power. Don't switch it off or let the battery run down.

You might need to persevere to get it to boot but leaving the battery out for a few hours might help.

Soldato
If you want another note4, mine will be going on MM as soon as my s8 arrives (looks like 28th'ish due to delays) - nothing wrong with it but after 30months of usage, the upgraditus got the better off me.

Otherwise at £170ish probably best you can get is moto g5 for brand new, I'm not familiar enough with chinese brands to recommend any but couple of my mates had G4 and never had any problems with these.
Cheers mate, I'll definitely keep it in mind! Too tired right now but I'll start looking properly alternatives tomorrow I guess.

Install Wakelock and put it on Setting 4 (Partial Wake Lock). It won't fix it but might delay the inevitable for a few more weeks or months. Make sure there's a decent battery in it though as it will use more power. Don't switch it off or let the battery run down.

You might need to persevere to get it to boot but leaving the battery out for a few hours might help.
Can't get the thing to boot period anymore. I am familiar with the app as I use it on my Samsung Tab S8.4. I'm still messing around and it's still early times but I think this thing has truly died.

Transmission breaker
Don
Mine had been replaced earlier in the year with a very slow response all over. Factory reset didn't solve it. Had it fixed through my bank phone insurance.
Came back ok, but the power button was a bit dodgy.
Managed to smash the screen and had no display a couple of weeks ago.
This time it's gone back to a third party repairer in the post (through the bank insurance) to see if it can be brought back.
They did say they might replace it with a similar model if they didn't have parts or it was too tough to fix.
No idea what they would replace it with!?

Soldato
Ended up buying a Moto G4 to replace my fathers Note4 with. Hardly comparable but it has a good spec sheet and SoC. I wasn't happy with the SoC on the G5.
Out of the box the phone runs Marshmallow, with Nougat available for download (read that is affects battery life on the G4 so forget that for now) and the OS itself is pretty much stock so nice and nippy. Quite impressed with the device overall given the price.

Associate
Well my Note 4 is still going strong after 2 1/2 years. Had the S8+ delivered a few days ago and after a play around I can't really see why I need to upgrade. Going to send the S8+ back, maybe the rumored Note 8 will be a better upgrade for me... unless Hauwei or Xiaomi or similar bring out something to catch my eye - e.g I liked look of Mi Mix but not available in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom