• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Short version - with the Boost 1.0 methodology they limit the boost to the "guaranteed" level (as in the number quoted on the box) as with older Kepler cards they'd often fail to sustain their initial boost clock indefinitely - which for a short benchmark run would often show them massively ahead of the equivalent AMD card but in actual gaming fall down quite a bit - whereas Kepler 2.0 cards will usually sustain it all day. (Some places tested by looping the Kepler cards for an hour first before benchmarking - others would limit the boost clock).

i.e. my 780GHZ has a rated boost clock of 1072MHz but actually boosts to 1188MHz out the box (and never drops) which makes a fair difference to benchmark scores.

EDIT: It is actually more complicated than that though - as if they are using an older revision 1 780 that they've had sitting around since they originally tested it on release and if they have the boost clock set to the reference boost of 900MHz that is way down from what someone with a 2nd revision 780 would be seeing in the realworld where they are probably holding a 11xxMHz boost out the box.

Thank you

Soldato
Totally agree that for max settings In ALL newer games a 780 has to knock some advanced stuff down.

Fallout 4 and gta v and shadow of mordor all run great at ultra settings though on my pc, Maybe shadows are high I dunno but it makes no diff to IQ.

Soldato
A bit different to my experience - my 780 at max overclock (bare in mind with the GHz edition it is more like comparing against an OC'd 780ti than a 780) still edges it over my friends 290X Tri-X (think he was running 1240 or 1250 on the core or something) in most games and I rarely have any framerate issues at 1440p with max settings - believe me if I did I'd have had a 980ti in there like as of months ago :S though to be fair there are some games like The Witcher 3 that I've not played where it might be a different story.

EDIT: Though I've not tried any comparisons with DX12 :O

EDIT2: It is quite interesting though - when I got this card it wouldn't have been unfair to say that OC'd v OC'd it stomped on that 290X - now they are running pretty much neck and neck in a lot of stuff.

Wait hold on your 780 was beating your friends 290x with a 1240 core overclock? at 1440p? Was he cpu bound or something? Some how i find that hard to believe lol.

Man of Honour
Wait hold on your 780 was beating your friends 290x with a 1240 core overclock? at 1440p? Was he cpu bound or something? Some how i find that hard to believe lol.

With max overclock on both yes - he has a slightly older CPU but not by much - these days its much more even overall partly due to wins in some newer games (if you don't believe me look at the 780 GHz edition reviews - the 290X had to make up a fair bit).

The problem is most people's perception of the 780 is based on the A1 revision coupled with many review sites seem to be running suppressed core clocks - the B1 revision 780 can be 15-20% faster out the box.

EDIT: I might be wrong on the overclock on the 290X as its not something I paid too much attention to - it might have been another card he had at 1240ish.

EDIT2: Comparison was at 1920x1080 as he doesn't have a 1440p monitor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With max overclock on both yes - he has a slightly older CPU but not by much - these days its much more even overall partly due to wins in some newer games (if you don't believe me look at the 780 GHz edition reviews - the 290X had to make up a fair bit).

The problem is most people's perception of the 780 is based on the A1 revision coupled with many review sites seem to be running suppressed core clocks - the B1 revision 780 can be 15-20% faster out the box.

EDIT: I might be wrong on the overclock on the 290X as its not something I paid too much attention to - it might have been another card he had at 1240ish.

EDIT2: Comparison was at 1920x1080 as he doesn't have a 1440p monitor.
So your 780 would be faster than a 980, a lot faster than a 970?

Soldato

I dont think so. i remember when 980's were new and some moved from well clocking 780ti's and ended up being say on par with 980's (sidegrades imo) . Plus when you take into effect the improvements/optimisations Nvidia does for maxwell i'd say a 970 is overall faster then all but a few golden 780s .
Would imo need to be doing 1300+core to be close. I also can pull 1300 core from my 970 but when i tried a friends 970 it was faster in newer games didnt try in older as limited time with it and was a quick test.

Man of Honour

Until more recent games my day to day overclock was pretty much matching stock 980 performance in most stuff.

Yea i know that's what i was thinking. Sounds like he has a golden card right there.

Wouldn't say that as some people were getting 1400MHz out of their 780s but I can get 13xxMHz clocks which is pretty decent - the out the box boost matches the max overclock most people would have got with A1 stepping 780s.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not like the post he was replying to was any better. It's all "I know better because I'm the smartest of them all" at the end of the day, because none of us know anything.

Man of Honour
Not like the post he was replying to was any better. It's all "I know better because I'm the smartest of them all" at the end of the day, because none of us know anything.

As 8Pack said the other day those that do know are bound by NDAs and you don't really get the leaks like used to happen any more - 90% of the rumour articles are made up.

Back
Top Bottom