The Official OCuK 'Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift' Thread!

Soldato
I went to see this tonight with the gf (I'm no longer single, yay!!) and we thought it was a good laugh, as long as you see it as a film and enjoy it for entertainment value.

I thought the scene where they are drifting through the streets of Tokyo was pretty good, and also at the start after that race where he smiles at the girl in A&E.

Associate
EddScott said:
Not to go off-topic (but doing so anyway) the Aussie V8 Supercar Championship is the best race series shown on UK TV imo.

As for FF3 - has anyone seen Initial D movie yet?

Saw the initial D movie last year when i was in HK. It was okay from what i remember, but i didnt think it was amazing. Suprisingly hard to remember exactly what the film was like!!

Soldato
This film surprised me, I went in expecting it to be absolute rubbish...which it was, but it was enjoyable rubbish and I got really into it.

Some nice motors and I'd have been more impressed if it had been Paul Walker making an appearance. Yum! :D

Associate
Went to see the film about a week ago. Enjoyed it mainly due to comedy reasons, but was fairly good. Bow Wow's car was pretty funky. However loads of plot holes like how a yank can just randomly join a Japanese school without speaking a word of the language :p

Soldato
EddScott said:
has anyone seen Initial D movie yet?
seen it last year, there was some nice drifting scene but i wouldnt say the film is amazing. i would have enjoyed it a lot more if the main character could act, he couldnt even speak cantonese properly ffs(hes fluent in mandarin)!!!

i really need to go and see tokyo drift but my mates refuses to watch it, they saying its too chavvy for their likeing :mad:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Minxy said:
Some nice motors

Did I miss the memo where the definition of "nice motors" was changed to "riced up piles of toss weighed down under a metric **** ton of plastic, covered in ugly graphics and about as pointless as a broken pencil"?

I know beauty is supposed to be in the eye of the beholder, but I'd have thought that an exception could be made when we're talking about cars that are uglier than a Multipla crossed with an Allegro....

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
JRS said:
Did I miss the memo where the definition of "nice motors" was changed to "riced up piles of toss weighed down under a metric **** ton of plastic, covered in ugly graphics and about as pointless as a broken pencil"?

I know beauty is supposed to be in the eye of the beholder, but I'd have thought that an exception could be made when we're talking about cars that are uglier than a Multipla crossed with an Allegro....

LOL, each to their own and all that, but it's not like they are Saxo's and Corsa's, they do actually pull the look off IMO. Especially in the Tokyo setting. Why is it pointless?

You are a Hot Rod fan right? Why are these types of car any more 'pointless' than a Hot Rod?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
DreXeL said:
LOL, each to their own and all that, but it's not like they are Saxo's and Corsa's, they do actually pull the look off IMO. Especially in the Tokyo setting. Why is it pointless?

You are a Hot Rod fan right? Why are these types of car any more 'pointless' than a Hot Rod?

Did I strike a nerve there DreX? ;)

"Pointless" is probably too strong a term, so I shouldn't have said that. But I will add this much, you don't need a drift car to go drifting. No wings, no shopping list, no +18in alloys. Just lots of power and rear wheel drive.

***edit***

Think the driver in the vid link is Rhys Millen, he of rally and drifting fame.

Last edited:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
JRS said:

"Pointless" is probably too strong a term, so I shouldn't have said that. But I will add this much, you don't need a drift car to go drifting. No wings, no shopping list, no +18in alloys. Just lots of power and rear wheel drive.

I agree with you here, Fair enough if the Stick on plastic makes the car look good(Usually have to be more expensive then plastic materials)
But Ive found from watching the first 2 the cars just look cheap and tackie

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
JRS said:

***edit***

Think the driver in the vid link is Rhys Millen, he of rally and drifting fame.

Yeah Rhys Millen is great, one of my favourite drifters. Although in all honesty that wasn't so much drifting as it was powersliding. There's a difference ;)

And I agree about not needing wings, bodykits etc but I disagree that you need lots of power. Look at the little AE86, not a lot of power, but a very popular drift car.

Anyway that's besides the point, I never said any of that was neseccery, I was just saying that as a look, it's about choice. And those cars do pull it off. Infact the look comes from the Professional D1 championship, with the cars being as lairy as possible due to sponsorship. Like the rally reps, this look filters down to the streets.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
DreXeL said:
Yeah Rhys Millen is great, one of my favourite drifters. Although in all honesty that wasn't so much drifting as it was powersliding. There's a difference ;)

True. But that vid was the first I could find from DoH that sort-of illustrated my point :)

DreXeL said:
And I agree about not needing wings, bodykits etc but I disagree that you need lots of power. Look at the little AE86, not a lot of power, but a very popular drift car.

Indeed. My "lots of power" was referring to the General in that vid, not necessarily stating that it needed all the power to do it. Should have made that clear, sorry.

DreXeL said:
Anyway that's besides the point, I never said any of that was neseccery, I was just saying that as a look, it's about choice. And those cars do pull it off. Infact the look comes from the Professional D1 championship, with the cars being as lairy as possible due to sponsorship. Like the rally reps, this look filters down to the streets.

I know two cars that I feel do pull it off, and (ironically enough since I'm talking to you) both are RX-7s. The Mazda has the right shape to attach a wing and bodykit to it without it looking very silly (although I still think they look great with no rear wing at all), a car like the Nissan 350Z just can't quite pull off the same trick without looking very tacky.

Again, IMO of course. ;)

Back
Top Bottom