The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
The mantel is very useful in the Roccbox. You can pull the pizza out and spin easier and let it rest or use it for the cast iron pan so doesn't burn food to smithereens if want to take a bit longer or remain warm.

Soldato
Just thinking that with the use our Ooni Koda 16 is getting, I was eye'ing up if its worth getting something slightly better s o whilst I was eyeing up an Arc XL or Dome just for the build quality and more pleasing 'look'.. this popped through in my email:

A 24" Dual Burner!
fw8SSJz.jpg

The one thing that massively improved the Koda16 was adding a hinged baffle on the front, not only did it significantly cut the warm up time, but also made it much more consistent..

The Koda 2 Max seems to really step it up a huge notch:
- Dual burners left/right and they look far better by throwing the flame over the roof
- There is a glass baffle on the top half of the opening, so I imagine the heat retention is much improved
- The 2 x stones allowing 2 x 12" pizza's to be fired at the same time might be very interesting, when I've done a larger 20+ people party it's about an hour+ of me firing pizza's..
- Nice (finally) to see the integrated thermometer (useful to know the base stone temperature)

Shame they've stuck with the three leg 'portable' look, if anything I want something that looks nicer on my cart, hence I like the look of the Gozney Dome/Arc XL..

Looks overkill, probably not a good idea, but interesting!

Last edited:
Soldato
Man, i think if the Gozney Arc was released 6 months ago it'd be in my garden right now. I really wanted the Dome but couldn't justify the cost. In the end i went with the Solo Stove Prime and whilst it's decent enough, the look of the Gozneys are a step up!

Looking at their accessories. The Dough Tray looks great. I always stick them on a metal baking tray with either cling film or uncovered. What i find is that uncovered causes some dough to dry out and goes rock hard, or with cling film they expand more and end up finding a way out and then when exposed to the air they dry out and a bit goes rock hard.

Probably completely unnecessary but look cool

Last edited:
Soldato
Man, i think if the Gozney Arc was released 6 months ago it'd be in my garden right now. I really wanted the Dome but couldn't justify the cost. In the end i went with the Solo Stove Prime and whilst it's decent enough, the look of the Gozneys are a step up!

Looking at their accessories. The Dough Tray looks great. I always stick them on a metal baking tray with either cling film or uncovered. What i find is that uncovered causes some dough to dry out and goes rock hard, or with cling film they expand more and end up finding a way out and then when exposed to the air they dry out and a bit goes rock hard.

Probably completely unnecessary but look cool
The gozney dough tray has some flaws, my brother bought two and ended up giving them away shortly after.
- He had soggy dough a few times with water pooling at the bottom of the dough recesses.
- With some doughs he did (maybe slightly wetter), it was impossible to get the dough out without a load of aggro and making a mess of the dough.

He went and bought catering dough trays for half the price.. I don't know specifically were he got them from, but they fit 6-8 large dough balls in, they fit in his large fridge and cost £25 with lids, very very similar to all the dough boxes you see the street pizza sellers using in their food trucks i.e. white rectangular trays with lids!

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe the 24" will drive 16" price down, but roccbox seems more compelling the hotuk comments about benefits of it's insulation an low recovery time.

Interesting calzone design saw the other day - swiss roll style with a couple of turns then form it into a ring.

Soldato
The gozney dough tray has some flaws, my brother bought two and ended up giving them away shortly after.
- He had soggy dough a few times with water pooling at the bottom of the dough recesses.
- With some doughs he did (maybe slightly wetter), it was impossible to get the dough out without a load of aggro and making a mess of the dough.

He went and bought catering dough trays for half the price.. I don't know specifically were he got them from, but they fit 6-8 large dough balls in, they fit in his large fridge and cost £25 with lids, very very similar to all the dough boxes you see the street pizza sellers using in their food trucks i.e. white rectangular trays with lids!

Cheers. I assumed the catering ones would be too big. Ideally i just want something for 2-4 balls, but think something air tight makes sense. Will take a look at them.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got round to visiting Crave pizza in Southport. Well worth the visit whole family loved it. Highest praise, I couldn't have done better myself.

Soldato
I've got one of those catering plastic trays with lid which is great for up to 6 balls, got it from A Di Maria. I use these for fridge proving and for smaller amounts of balls (one each ball): https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-food-container-round-glass-30359196/. with these lids which allow them to burp https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-lid-round-bamboo-60381898/
I use the bowls more often.
Those look perfect but after the last few weeks if I never see an IKEA again I’ll be happy!

Last nights pizza was actually decent. I did t have any issue with the dough sticking.
Not sure if it was the lack of using pre-made frozen dough (usually make 8 balls and it lasts for 4 pizzas) or whether it was not using a rolling pin and accepting it might not be as well shaped. Still didn’t get a brilliant chewy crust, but it was better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Those look perfect but after the last few weeks if I never see an IKEA again I’ll be happy!

Last nights pizza was actually decent. I did t have any issue with the dough sticking.
Not sure if it was the lack of using pre-made frozen dough (usually make 8 balls and it lasts for 4 pizzas) or whether it was not using a rolling pin and accepting it might not be as well shaped. Still didn’t get a brilliant chewy crust, but it was better.
Delivery is about £4or so.

Associate
I've got one of those catering plastic trays with lid which is great for up to 6 balls, got it from A Di Maria. I use these for fridge proving and for smaller amounts of balls (one each ball): https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-food-container-round-glass-30359196/. with these lids which allow them to burp https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-lid-round-bamboo-60381898/
I use the bowls more often.

Thanks for this. Was looking for a tray and lid and that looks perfect along with the containers.

Back
Top Bottom