• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Man £649 just seems crazy in this economy. Especially with it looking like the new One X RRP will be £259 with a drive.

I hope I'm wrong, but Sony hasn't really been known to lowball hardware prices.

But to be fair no compact cooling design would work for these power levels, so they have had to make it large. The Series X is just literally a big square box with a huge fan and cooler at the top, not exactly hard to design that cooling was it?

It's a clever design to keep it compact, it's smaller than the Original Xbox One.

Soldato
I don't waste much money on everything else, and was thinking of an RTX3080 or similar to upgrade my PC, but I could no doubt get both consoles for the same price, so it kind of makes sense ;)

That's the kicker isn't. For the £500 these consoles are likely to cost you can barely buy a half decent video card never mind a nicely spec'd PC to go along with that GPU. A high end video card now costs DOUBLE what these consoles cost!

I hope I'm wrong, but Sony hasn't really been known to lowball hardware prices.

I don't know. When the PS4 launch it was only £350 which seemed pretty cheap at the time compared to the ~£450 the PS3 went for and the £430 MS wanted for an inferior Xbone One.

Soldato
I think £499 - £649 seems a good estimate since Sony said they're producing less units and it will be a bit more expensive. Plus the Amazon leak of £599. They sold the PS3 at a $200 loss when it released so I think Sony wont price it too stupidly with MS being more competitive with the Series X being priced the same or cheaper than the PS5.

Soldato
I am going to go a little optimistic at £359 for the digital version and £429-459 for the drive version. They will probably model the price on the digital version around the fact that they will have to purchase the games through the store and that will make them more money in the long run with less overheads etc.

Soldato
My Guestimate is £400-450 for the digital version and £500-550 for the physical one. I suspect Sony will price the digital one agressively, or the physical one extortionately, to try and nudge customers away from physical games into their online store so they can generate revenue from digital sales (rather than giving a cut to resellers) and to push potential subscription services in future.
Yeh about where I see it.

Soldato
I think £499 - £649 seems a good estimate since Sony said they're producing less units and it will be a bit more expensive. Plus the Amazon leak of £599. They sold the PS3 at a $200 loss when it released so I think Sony wont price it too stupidly with MS being more competitive with the Series X being priced the same or cheaper than the PS5.
Maybe it was an intentional leak to get MS to match them and then undercut them with the real price. Stranger things have happened.

I think it'll be £449 and £549 respectively.

Soldato
Anyone hazard a guess at pricing?
I'm settling in the region of £499 while I have friends that are thinking £599 to £999. I can't see this being that expensive.

I think the dude who said £450 for digital and £550 for drive version was onto something. Think consoles from both sony and microsoft will cost £500 one way or another.

Soldato
Think you quoted the wrong person, I'm not the one questioning the design/size.

No, I definitely quoted the correct person. I was saying that the new Xbox is smaller than the Xbox One, so they didn't need to make the PS5 quite as large as they have. Considering the similar power levels to the XSX.

It was more in response to:

"But to be fair no compact cooling design would work for these power levels, so they have had to make it large."

Soldato
I remember at the time the £425 PS3 struggled against the £200/£300 Xbox 360. It was a bit of a con trick though as the £200 xbox didn't come with any storage so you either had to buy a super low capacity memory card just to save games or another £100 on a hard drive to run them from it (which later became essential for most games). It didn't have built in Wi-Fi either. The xbox only had a DVD drive compared to the blu-ray which the PS3 came with.

When you think about it an extra £200 to get a hard drive, wireless adapter, HDMI connector and a blu ray drive wasn't actually that bad a deal 15 years ago. The price scared customers away though so I doubt Sony will make that mistake again.

Soldato
No, I definitely quoted the correct person. I was saying that the new Xbox is smaller than the Xbox One, so they didn't need to make the PS5 quite as large as they have. Considering the similar power levels to the XSX.

It was more in response to:

"But to be fair no compact cooling design would work for these power levels, so they have had to make it large."
You have misinterpreted my post a little, I think.

But anyway, the Series X is like I said a square box with a big opening and fan size to match, hardly hard to make a good cooler. The PS5 is narrow and MUCH harder to design an efficient cooler for.

Associate
The Series X is just literally a big square box with a huge fan and cooler at the top, not exactly hard to design that cooling was it?
Actually, the XSX has quite an ingenious and clever design to separate the heat-generating components so that they're not heating each other, and then maximise airflow across each of them in a similar way to a wind tunnel.......it's ugly as sin (though I'd argue far less conspicuous than the PS5 design), but quite ingenious (assuming it actually works).

I'm left trying to figure out how I can deal with two huge boxes in my lounge that differ so substantially from each other........and both going to be hard to hide from the wife!

Soldato
But to be fair no compact cooling design would work for these power levels, so they have had to make it large. The Series X is just literally a big square box with a huge fan and cooler at the top, not exactly hard to design that cooling was it?

Have you actually looked at how the series x cooling was designed? Pretty impressive

Back
Top Bottom