• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Not sure there is a "harder" here. They're both potentially a problem, depending on the cabinet in question.

Both consoles are significantly larger than typical consoles/DVD players/set-top boxes. So if it's a cabinet with shelving designed for those, a Series X probably isn't going to fit. But the PS5 is hardly svelte either; with the stand it seems to be around 12.5cm thick. There's every chance neither will fit (which is the case with my unit). If the cabinet is designed to take home cinema amps, both are probably fine (though the PS5's length is pushing it, and may be too long for some units).

Neither will fit in my Besta unit as it's configured now. They're both too tall (when laid horizontally).
I think I might have a big stand then:p. My top shelf will for upto 15cm and the bottom shelf will take up-to 25cm. Depth shouldn't be an issue, but this is a glass one rather than a wooden/mdf one so ventilation won't be an issue.

Associate
I’ll probably get one at some point but not at release. I’ve moved to pc gaming for around 2 years now and can’t see me moving back.

Soldato
How small do you think cabinets are (assuming it's horizontal rather than vertical). I thinking fitting an Xbox under a TV will be harder.
My comment was firmly in the take it with a pinch of salt region.

The only way anyone will get the PS5 in would have to be horizontal but tbh I wouldn't even try, all that heat needs lots of cool room around it hence I would personally stand it up outside like I have my Pro now.

Soldato
The only way anyone will get the PS5 in would have to be horizontal but tbh I wouldn't even try, all that heat needs lots of cool room around it hence I would personally stand it up outside like I have my Pro now.

I would worry it had more chance of being stolen that way.

Also, doesen't it get wet?

:p

I'll get my coat :D

Soldato
Does anyone know what monitor will be best suited for the PS5 from the released specs. I'm in the market for one for my PS4 pro and want it to be "future proof" .

Isit AMD Freesync or Nvidia or are neither required ?

Associate
Does anyone know what monitor will be best suited for the PS5 from the released specs. I'm in the market for one for my PS4 pro and want it to be "future proof" .

Isit AMD Freesync or Nvidia or are neither required ?
Ideally you want 4K 120hz HDR with VRR HDMI 2.1 and I don't think any monitor supports that at the moment.

Associate
It doesn’t have the power for 4K120 so a 4K60 or 1080p120 panel will be fine
it might not have the power to run games at that FPS but there are more benefits to have your screen at 120hz.
Even when a game runs at 30fps you get reduced input lag and motion blur when you run 120hz.
Also the dashboard will run at 120fps which will make it much smoother and that's always nice.

Man of Honour
it might not have the power to run games at that FPS but there are more benefits to have your screen at 120hz.
Even when a game runs at 30fps you get reduced input lag and motion blur when you run 120hz.
Also the dashboard will run at 120fps which will make it much smoother and that's always nice.

It makes no difference to me having the XBox One X dash running at 120Hz as I’m not using a mouse.

For input latency I though the PS4 and presumably also the PS5 use standard Bluetooth. This means that 12-16 ms is the best input latency you can achieve, which is 1 60Hz frame or 2 120Hz frames.

This makes 120Hz pointless for input latency useless unless they go down the same proprietary wireless connection route that MS have.

For motion blur most 60Hz panels support 120Hz black frame insertion to lower that without natively supporting 120Hz output.

Associate
It makes no difference to me having the XBox One X dash running at 120Hz as I’m not using a mouse.

I don't know about Xbox dashboard but it certainly makes a huge difference in Windows desktop and in smartphones for me and many others.

For input latency I though the PS4 and presumably also the PS5 use standard Bluetooth. This means that 12-16 ms is the best input latency you can achieve, which is 1 60Hz frame or 2 120Hz frames.

This makes 120Hz pointless for input latency useless unless they go down the same proprietary wireless connection route that MS have.
That's not how it works. Input lag of every device in the chain adds up so it's controller input lag + console/game engine + display.

For motion blur most 60Hz panels support 120Hz black frame insertion to lower that without natively supporting 120Hz output.
My LG Oled from 2016 doesn't support black frame insertion but in those TVs that do can they even use it in game mode.? Doesn't that increase input lag as it is additional processing.?

Back
Top Bottom