• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'll be getting both - m$ are great for improving old games under backwards compatibility and I love Halo, so there'll be plenty to play from day 1...........whereas have a huge backlog of PS4 games to catch up on, so am curious to see whaSony come u[ with on that angle.

LoL - I remember when it was cool & funny to write M$

Soldato
As with every generation, I'll be getting XSX and PS5.

XSX for gamepass and the amazing BC service they have. PS5 for the exclusive games on the service. I'll probably keep my PS4 as well, as I doubt the BC abilities will be anywhere near that of the Xbox.

Caporegime
XSX for gamepass and the amazing BC service they have. PS5 for the exclusive games on the service. I'll probably keep my PS4 as well, as I doubt the BC abilities will be anywhere near that of the Xbox.

I agree with your post but you probably don't need to keep your PS4. Those games should play exactly the same on PS5 (at least) with some possibly getting more stable frame rates.

Soldato
I agree with your post but you probably don't need to keep your PS4. Those games should play exactly the same on PS5 (at least) with some possibly getting more stable frame rates.
Well until we know more about their exact backwards compatibility plans I'm sticking with the PS4 Pro. I also have PSVR, but know they said it should work.

Don't know why Sony are being so secretive about features and plans for the console, whereas MS have been so open.

Soldato
Despite the, let's face it absolutely horrific looks. I will likely end up getting a PS5, I just er love PlayStation. Yeah sad ain't it. My fav console. Will still play Xbox games on PC and Xbox One X. No reason to buy Series X anytime soon.

Gran Turismo 7 will be amazing.

Soldato
Highly doubtful going by PS3 and PS4. They stick to standard TV resolutions - 720p, 1080p, 2160p. You might end up only getting 1080p if you connect to a 1440p display with HDMI.
If the PS5 supports 1440p and ultrawide monitors, I'm sold. If not, why not! :D

Main monitor is a 3440x1440 ultrawide and it seems a bit poor to only be able use 1080p resolution.

Associate
Well until we know more about their exact backwards compatibility plans I'm sticking with the PS4 Pro. I also have PSVR, but know they said it should work.

Don't know why Sony are being so secretive about features and plans for the console, whereas MS have been so open.

The PS brand is much bigger and has a much wider audience than MS. For example, look at the PS5 thread page count vs the XSX page count... It's 3 times as many. Sony know they can hold their cards close to their chest and it won't affect sales and if anything, it is only increasing the hype train for it with all the speculation. There's plenty of pages on Social Media like Sportbible and Hypebeast discussing PS5 but I haven't seen any of them discuss XSX only the offical pages.

Shawrey

Associate
I see there was another supposed leak on Amazon.FR yesterday - 20 Nov @ €399 and €499........if it comes in that cheap then I'll be all over it (though €100 for a UHD media drive seems excessive)!

Soldato
I see there was another supposed leak on Amazon.FR yesterday - 20 Nov @ €399 and €499........if it comes in that cheap then I'll be all over it (though €100 for a UHD media drive seems excessive)!

Its not the price of the UHD they are saving its the fact that for all game purchases Sony receive 30%, far more than a Disk sale. They can also control pricing far easier with the only way to buy a game is through PSN.

Associate
Its not the price of the UHD they are saving its the fact that for all game purchases Sony receive 30%, far more than a Disk sale. They can also control pricing far easier with the only way to buy a game is through PSN.
Sorry, I meant €100 is excessive to justify from a buying perspective, not from a manufacturing, retail or pricing structure perspective. :D

Man of Honour
Sorry, I meant €100 is excessive to justify from a buying perspective, not from a manufacturing, retail or pricing structure perspective. :D

Playing devil's advocate, it works from a consumer perspective too, as you're maintaining the ability to be able to benefit from the second hand market. That €100 euros (or whatever it ends up being) is worth more than just being able to play UHD movies. If you consider the potential money saved over the life of owning the console, can you justify the digital version from a buyer's perspective?

Soldato
Yer, no - virtually all the PS5 exclusives are "time limited exclusives", this is very much not going to be the case.

The trailers for the "timed exclusives" have this text at the end:

"Console exclusive for a limited time. Also available on PC."

The three titles with confirmed release dates for this year have the same date for PS5 and PC. So it looks very much like the agreements don't affect PC. It's Xbox (plus Stadia and Switch, presumably) which will miss these games at release.

Last edited:
Soldato
The trailers for the "timed exclusives" have this text at the end:

"Console exclusive for a limited time. Also available on PC."

The three titles with confirmed release dates for this year have the same date for PS5 and PC. So it looks very much like the agreements don't affect PC. It's Xbox (plus Stadia and Switch, presumably) which will miss these games at release.

Indeed - last generation both Xbox and PS4 had "Timed limited" games. But HZD is the first "exclusive" that has subsequently made its way to a different platform.
There is nothing to indicate that the trend is moving in that direction - PS5 exclusives will, for the main, remain PS5 exclusives.

Soldato
Playing devil's advocate, it works from a consumer perspective too, as you're maintaining the ability to be able to benefit from the second hand market. That €100 euros (or whatever it ends up being) is worth more than just being able to play UHD movies. If you consider the potential money saved over the life of owning the console, can you justify the digital version from a buyer's perspective?

Unless you're a "release day buyer" I'm not convinced that you save massive amounts going physical.
Then the resell, do people actually resell their games that often and by the time you are looking to resell, the prices are through the floor anyway.
If you've got a copy of GTA 5 on the PS4 right now, you're gonna be hard pushed to get more than £5 if you wanted to sell it.

I do fully agree that if you're one of these people who must have a game at launch or, within the first couple of months, I personally wouldn't be buying a Digital Edition. However those who are know this, it's not going to come as a surprise to these people.
At the time I tend to buy - so usually around 3-4 months after a release, then I'm not saving as much with physical over retail.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying the regular version - but I can see why the digital edition will be tempting for a lot of people - those who are all digital now, those who are mainly digital now and these people wouldn't be going into a "Digital Edition" purchase blinded by the £100 saving alone.

Soldato
Unless you're a "release day buyer" I'm not convinced that you save massive amounts going physical.
Then the resell, do people actually resell their games that often and by the time you are looking to resell, the prices are through the floor anyway.
If you've got a copy of GTA 5 on the PS4 right now, you're gonna be hard pushed to get more than £5 if you wanted to sell it.

I do fully agree that if you're one of these people who must have a game at launch or, within the first couple of months, I personally wouldn't be buying a Digital Edition. However those who are know this, it's not going to come as a surprise to these people.
At the time I tend to buy - so usually around 3-4 months after a release, then I'm not saving as much with physical over retail.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying the regular version - but I can see why the digital edition will be tempting for a lot of people - those who are all digital now, those who are mainly digital now and these people wouldn't be going into a "Digital Edition" purchase blinded by the £100 saving alone.
I'm definitely not a release day guy but a few months after guy. I've managed to snag some games super cheap second hand and in physical sales way before any PSN sales.

Back
Top Bottom