• Digital Only Version

Votes: 172 16.2%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 661 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
My main decision process is something like this...which console will have the best soulsborn games ps5 had Bloodborne and nioh 2 exclusivity but this next gen could swing either way.

Much as I would like either console on launch I will wait until there are games I really want until buying.

Soldato
"Still tripping about this #PS5 SSD spec. Like, people don’t even know how big of a leap in terms of game design can be made, especially for 1st party that doesn’t have to design to lowest common denominator. By far the biggest leap in my career. Can’t wait
Kurt.M Naughty Dog

Soldato
Is it not safe to assume that 1st party devs, being tied to Sony, will not be saying anything negative about Sony's new console, and indeed might instead by inclined to promote it...

Just sayin'
It's not just 1st party game developers saying it tho!!

But hey ho these are just the guys that make the games.

Soldato
Is it not safe to assume that 1st party devs, being tied to Sony, will not be saying anything negative about Sony's new console, and indeed might instead by inclined to promote it...

Just sayin'

Of course. Or they could just as well be as excited about the new tech as I am! I'd rather listen to the opinion of someone from the likes of Naughty Dog than someone on a forum moaning about teraflops.

Soldato
It's not just 1st party game developers saying it tho!!

But hey ho these are just the guys that make the games.

You'll see when the consoles are out and the comparisons begin. The PS5 is incapable of matching the throughput of the X1 series X. Doesn't matter how much Sony claim that the most widely used performance metric suddenly doesn't count / encourage their own developers to tweet about it.

Soldato
You'll see when the consoles are out and the comparisons begin. The PS5 is incapable of matching the throughput of the X1 series X. Doesn't matter how much Sony claim that the most widely used performance metric suddenly doesn't count / encourage their own developers to tweet about it.

I guess the PS5 is more comparable to the cheaper Xbox that’s coming out.

X1 series X is in another league by itself.

Soldato
Of course. Or they could just as well be as excited about the new tech as I am! I'd rather listen to the opinion of someone from the likes of Naughty Dog than someone on a forum moaning about teraflops.
Hmmmmm multiple 1st party game studios with multiple generations under their belt.. I know who I would trust.

Also most of the studios MS bought were indie.

It's been quite comical watching each new big game launch on the Xbox this gen lol

The only contest MS will win next gen is how big is your pee pee.

Soldato
Here's something new to fight about :D

XBoneX (the console with 30% more TFlops than the PS4Pro) performing noticeably worse than the PS4Pro on the RE3 Remake demo

Of course, you could argue that it's throwing more pixels around and "doing more".
Then you could also argue that it still illustrates the point that power isn't always best because some devs might try and push things too far and lead to a much weaker experience.
Like I said.... lots to fight about. :p

Caporegime
I've just watched that and whilst a tad disappointing, you could argue that they've futureproofed it for Xbox Series X. It will run at a locked 4K60 on that system without any updates, whereas the PS5 version will be 1620p60. :p

Associate
Hmmmmm multiple 1st party game studios with multiple generations under their belt.. I know who I would trust.
Yeah, I'd be inclined to trust the person not getting their paycheck from Sony too. :D
SONY got couple of clever patents on cooling the new console we shall see.
The Zen 2 CPU is capable of 4GHz+ under all core load with adequate cooling, and it's not a linear thing, it takes exponentially more power and cooling going beyond 3.5GHz. That suggests to me they went for a more traditional console design with lower thermal headroom than Xbox. They did say in their presentation that they think we will be satisfied with cooling, so I hope that means they finally sorted out the hairdryer fan noise that plagued the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Soldato
I've just watched that and whilst a tad disappointing, you could argue that they've futureproofed it for Xbox Series X. It will run at a locked 4K60 on that system without any updates, whereas the PS5 version will be 1620p60. :p

Well, the point isn't really about RE3.
Only that MORE POWAH doesn't always mean a better experience.
There's more factors at play than just how many flops are flopping around :)

Man of Honour
While any sane person would admit that the PS5 will be the graphical underdog, that is something easily fixed in a later Pro version's GPU while the additional systems (SSD, audio, physics engines, ray tracing, etc.) are much harder to integrate at a later date.

Associate
Here's something new to fight about :D

XBoneX (the console with 30% more TFlops than the PS4Pro) performing noticeably worse than the PS4Pro on the RE3 Remake demo

Of course, you could argue that it's throwing more pixels around and "doing more".
Then you could also argue that it still illustrates the point that power isn't always best because some devs might try and push things too far and lead to a much weaker experience.
Like I said.... lots to fight about. :p

Lazy devs not optimizing a particular console can go both ways, in general the TF difference will be fairly reflective of performance. It does look like they set their target resolution too high for the One X and it struggles because it's not a true 4k machine. I think that should be much less of an issue next gen because they will be true 4k machines with a 4k 60FPS target for most games. I can't see them targeting a lower resolution so if either console were to struggle with that target it would obviously be the PS5 more so than the Series X.

Back
Top Bottom