Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Sony's latest reporting provides a good mine of info

Some things I noticed:

* PSVR2 will launch with over 20 games, a mix of 1st and 3rd party games

* PS5 took 1 hour to sell the first 80k units in the USA, PS4 at launch took 9 days to do the same

* Sony now expects to launch 12 live service games between now and 2025, the first 2 of which are launching this financial year. Sony does not have expect all to be a success but hopes that at least a couple will stick because live service games that stick are cash cows

* PC sales revenue has tripled in the last year and is forecast to triple again next. HZD sold 2.4 million copies on PC

* Sony plans to make games for mobile phones

* a God of War TV series is coming

* a Horizon zero Dawn TV series is coming

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/lib ... /GNS_E.pdf

Soldato
No PS+ for me. Not interested in the fluff that comes with it and not paying for online play. Sony had it right with the ps3, basic online play free, all the extras if you want them locked behind a fee. Don't see why I should pay Sony, to play on servers hosted by other companies or worse, p2p. Then when it's f2p, suddenly it's ok, I can play without playing. Single player games only for me on console, until the fee is dropped.

A lot of the infrastructure is provided by Sony in the first place though, running the backend PSN services isn't free to them and the overall experience is markedly superior to when it was free.

Soldato
A lot of the infrastructure is provided by Sony in the first place though, running the backend PSN services isn't free to them and the overall experience is markedly superior to when it was free.

Same backend that I can access as free player, just with online play gated. Same backend that I can access on f2p games. If I pay for a game, I then have to pay Sony on top of that to access online. If it's f2p, I'm using the same resources, but suddenly now it's ok, I can play online.

So apparently, they need to charge for online play, except when it's f2p, then suddenly they don't :confused:

Not just a Sony issue, MS is worse. Play Gears 5 on PC using the exact same xbox live infrastructure as console players, but it's free. Switch to Xbox, suddenly paywall.

Steam is also free despite providing the same sort of backend and also unlike Sony and MS, who get a cut of everything, get nothing from keys sold outside of Steam.

Don't want to drag it anymore off topic, it's not worth it to me and never will be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same backend that I can access as free player, just with online play gated. Same backend that I can access on f2p games. If I pay for a game, I then have to pay Sony on top of that to access online. If it's f2p, I'm using the same resources, but suddenly now it's ok, I can play online.

So apparently, they need to charge for online play, except when it's f2p, then suddenly they don't

It might be the same infrastructure but the additional features and services you get with PS+ are funded by the subscription, hence you don't get them. Again, PSN was not the best in the PS3 days and lagged badly behind XBL in terms of features, usability and reliability. It also makes perfect sense to allow F2P games to be played free, it's the whole point of them and the funds raised via microtransactions and season passes will more than make up for it.

Even if you only like a mere handful of the PS+ games over the course of a year, it's still pretty good value especially when buying it on offer. I'd rather pay for the service we get now than have the PSN of the PS3 era.
Play Gears 5 on PC using the exact same xbox live infrastructure as console players, but it's free. Switch to Xbox, suddenly paywall.

Yes, that did surprise me when I ditched the Xbox One S and played Forza Horizon on the PC and it suddenly gave me all the online features I didn't have on the console.

Soldato
It might be the same infrastructure but the additional features and services you get with PS+ are funded by the subscription, hence you don't get them. Again, PSN was not the best in the PS3 days and lagged badly behind XBL in terms of features, usability and reliability. It also makes perfect sense to allow F2P games to be played free, it's the whole point of them and the funds raised via microtransactions and season passes will more than make up for it.

The only additional feature I want is online play, that's it. None of the other fluff matters to me & online play is mostly other peoples servers or p2p for the most part.

Meh, I played online on PS3, it was good enough for me. I'd be happy with that on ps5. Basic online play for free, barebones. No party voice chat, no cloud saves, no fluff, just barebones, I'd take it. Lock the rest behind ps+.

Yes, that did surprise me when I ditched the Xbox One S and played Forza Horizon on the PC and it suddenly gave me all the online features I didn't have on the console.

PC users told MS to jog on last time MS tried to charge on pc.

Hope MS eventually goes free, especially with cross buy etc. Buy this game, get it on Xbox & PC, but free on pc for all the same features, but paywalled on console is a really weird position. MS going free would also pressure the others.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only additional feature I want is online play, that's it. None of the other fluff matters to me & online play is mostly other peoples servers or p2p for the most part.

Meh, I played online on PS3, it was good enough for me. I'd be happy with that on ps5. Basic online play for free, barebones. No party voice chat, no cloud saves, no fluff, just barebones, I'd take it. Lock the rest behind ps+.

PC users told MS to jog on last time MS tried to charge on pc.

Hope MS eventually goes free, especially with cross buy etc. Buy this game, get it on Xbox & PC, but free on pc for all the same features, but paywalled on console is a really weird position. MS going free would also pressure the others.
Why on earth would Microsoft give up the guaranteed monthly income!? They are a for profit organisation not a charity...

Soldato
Why on earth would Microsoft give up the guaranteed monthly income!? They are a for profit organisation not a charity...

Bash the others over the head with it as a selling point.

I don't think they will, but MS are the only ones in the weird position of Xbox live being crossplatform (minecraft on switch uses it, I think there is an ios game as well) along with pc using it, yet only console players shell out for it, every one else gets the full usage for free. Even weirder with cross buy, buy this game, get pc & xbox version, same account, but only have to shell out when you play on console.

There was also rumours of it going away reported by sites last year, it never happened then, but no smoke without fire.

I don't think it will happen, but if any of the consoles do ditch it, I do think it will be ms first.

Soldato
Bash the others over the head with it as a selling point.

I don't think they will, but MS are the only ones in the weird position of Xbox live being crossplatform (minecraft on switch uses it, I think there is an ios game as well) along with pc using it, yet only console players shell out for it, every one else gets the full usage for free. Even weirder with cross buy, buy this game, get pc & xbox version, same account, but only have to shell out when you play on console.

There was also rumours of it going away reported by sites last year, it never happened then, but no smoke without fire.

I don't think it will happen, but if any of the consoles do ditch it, I do think it will be ms first.
It costs less than a cost of a game for a year I can't imagine it will figure in most peoples reckoning. It certainly wouldn't figure into mine as I only really care about what games I can play.

Soldato
State of Play next Thursday, brings new game reveals, sneak peeks, and updates

It’s been more than two months since our last State of Play – who’s ready for a new one? Tune in live next Thursday, June 2 for nearly 30 minutes of announcements and updates from the world of PlayStation.

We’ll have some exciting reveals from our third-party partners, plus a sneak peek at several games in development for PlayStation VR2. Watch over at Twitch or on YouTube starting 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern / 12:00am CET.

See you next week!

Soldato
Not that it really matters - I'm trying to find out which of my Dualsense controllers came with my console and which was the additional one.
Writing across the back of the controller, at the top seems to be the same. However under the row of icons there is different lettering.

FCC ID: AK8CF1ZCT1 IC: 4098-CF1ZCT1
FCC ID: AK8CF1ZCT1 CNC ID: C-25206

Any idea which is which?

Back
Top Bottom